Someone dumber than Gamestop employees - Gamestop customers

Visc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
87 (100%)
I say this over an incident at my local, and preferred, gamestop today.

As I walked in today, I say a wii system sitting on the front counter. It turns out someone was trading one in as I got there. Now, the emplyees at this GS know me quite well, we're good friends, they know my wii has been backordered 4 months now, so I asked them what they offered in trade-in credit, $160, and asked if they would mind if I counter-offered the guy, which they were fine with.

So I walked over to the gentlemen and politely offered to man $170 cash direct from the nearby ATM for the system, which was also missing its box and lacked Wii Sports when he brought it in. He thought for a moment and said:
"Nah. I'd rather get the $160 in credit."

I said ok, thanks anyways, but inside I was fuming at the stupidity of this moron. After he left, even the employees were calling him a moron, jackass, etc.

On the bright side though, they game me a Simon Belmont figuring and a Silent Hill Experience while I was there. So it wasn't a total loss I guess, but still, it sucks that someone can be as stupid as that customer.

Honestly with all the stories you read on the internet of people being mugged in PS3/Wii deals through Craig's list it sounds more like he was playing it safe.

That's very weird...

I would have taken the deal; it was 10 dollars more, in cash. That person must have been one narrow-minded person, to sell it to gamestop rather than to you. On the upside, you didn't leave the store empty-handed.

What was Gamestop going to sell it for, used?

How was he stupid? He didn't want to sell it to you.

I've have people lowball me before and I've told them I'd rather go out into the parking lot and smash the item then let them have it for what they offered.

Credit does have it's good points, such as you aren't charged tax if you pay with credit. If he knew that then maybe that's why he declined your offer?

[quote name='L337-Legend']That's very weird...

I would have taken the deal; it was 10 dollars more, in cash. That person must have been one narrow-minded person, to sell it to gamestop rather than to you. On the upside, you didn't leave the store empty-handed.

What was Gamestop going to sell it for, used?[/quote]

$230

[quote name='Haggar']How was he stupid? He didn't want to sell it to you.

I've have people lowball me before and I've told them I'd rather go out into the parking lot and smash the item then let them have it for what they offered.[/quote]

Because I didn't lowball him; I offered him more in cash than he was getting in credit, from an ATM in the same plaza. All he would have had to have done was sit there for two minutes for me to make an ATM transaction less than twenty feet away.

[quote name='Visc']$230[/quote]

Eh. That's 20 dollars off a new w/ no Wii Sports!

According to the people who said he was playing it safe; you are inside of the Gamestop, correct? IMO, I don't like getting credit from gamestop, because they don't price match, have good sales, etc. I would have taken the 170 offer. All he had to do is run to an ATM to pick up some cash and trade right there in the Gamestop, simple as that. That's a downer he rejected it. :cry:

[quote name='m0rningbreakfast']Did you try $180? $190? $200?

If you didn't, you must not have wanted it that badly.[/quote]

It was missing WiiSPorts and its box - considering how high that game goes for by itself he was given a damn good offer.

Its that guy's Wii system and he chose not to sell it to you, whats the big deal? I probably wouldent have sold it to you either

[quote name='Poor2More']Its that guy's Wii system and he chose not to sell it to you, whats the big deal? I probably wouldent have sold it to you either[/quote]

So you'd prefer not to get the most for your system then, good to know.

[quote name='Visc']It was missing WiiSPorts and its box - considering how high that game goes for by itself he was given a damn good offer.[/QUOTE]

Apparently the owner disagreed, because he didn't accept your offer.

[quote name='Haggar']Apparently the owner disagreed, because he didn't accept your offer.[/quote]

Another person who thinks $160 is better than $170 I see. I'll make a note of that.

Well, here tax is almost 9% so I would expect you to at least offer 10% more than the trade in credit or at least an extra $20 but that's just me...

I too wondered why you didn't go up some after he turned you down at the first offer...

good luck on your search...

[quote name='Visc']Another person who thinks $160 is better than $170 I see. I'll make a note of that.[/QUOTE]

$10 isn't going to make a difference to me. If I'm easily going to trade something into Gamestop for $160- and I'm fine with that- the weird kid coming up to me asking to buy it is going to have to do better than $10. He's not doing me any favors by getting it for $170. I'm doing him a favor selling him a $250 item for less than $250.

And yes, it had no box, no Wii Sports, and he was trading it in for $160- but the fact still remains that you didn't make a good enough counter offer. And the fact that he turned down an extra $10 does not make him stupid in my book.

(and I'm not saying you're weird- I'm saying random Gamestop customers coming up to you and asking to buy things.)

[quote name='Haggar']How was he stupid? He didn't want to sell it to you.

I've have people lowball me before and I've told them I'd rather go out into the parking lot and smash the item then let them have it for what they offered.[/QUOTE]

How was that lowballing him? It's $10 more than he sold it for.

The guy is an idiot.

[quote name='Haggar']$10 isn't going to make a difference to me. If I'm easily going to trade something into Gamestop for $160- and I'm fine with that- the weird kid coming up to me asking to buy it is going to have to do better than $10. He's not doing me any favors by getting it for $170. I'm doing him a favor selling him a $250 item for less than $250.

And yes, it had no box, no Wii Sports, and he was trading it in for $160- but the fact still remains that you didn't make a good enough counter offer. And the fact that he turned down an extra $10 does not make him stupid in my book.

(and I'm not saying you're weird- I'm saying random Gamestop customers coming up to you and asking to buy things.)[/quote]

That just tells me you'd rather take less money for something than waiting 2 minutes. Frankly, if I were in his same situation I would have accepted. Wii systems are difficult to acquire in this area without being scalped by some greedy jackass. If someone offered me more of a value directly in cash than I would get in credit I would take it and get a boost in good karma. I'm not going to offer him $200+ for a system that doesn't even have all of its original contents. Had he had the game and box, I would have offered him $210 on the spot, but he didn't, so I'm not going to bend over backwards for him to rip myself off in the process.

[quote name='Green Card200']Why didn't you offer to give him a $170 GameStop gift card?[/QUOTE]

Good idea, but this guy's intellect tells me he would have turned it down.

Should have offered him $150. Probably would have taken that.

I'm going to have to side with the guy who didn't decide to sell the Wii because cash from some guy coming up to you versus credit or even cash from a store, the store is much safer . Especially if the difference is only 10$!

[quote name='Visc']It was missing WiiSPorts and its box - considering how high that game goes for by itself he was given a damn good offer.[/quote]

Obviously NOT good enough in the customers eyes since he rejected your 'damn good offer'. Now if you offered him $190 or $200, one of those might have been the 'magic number' to make him willing to part with his system.

I've had both happen to me while in a Gamestop before(offering $$$ for someones stuff and vice versa), however some people just don't want to sell for whatever reason.

You accept that fact and move on. Of course, in this digital age when people are slighted or feel slighted(see: The Consumerist for bitchy whiners complaining about non issues, like being stopped at the door at Wal*mart to check your receipt, in many cases), they turn to the internet for a comforting 'voice' to tell them 'it's ok you did all you could and you're STILL in the right'.

But, you won't get that from me, that's for sure.

Oh and to whoever said that credit is 'tax free', I've had a couple assclowns from Gamestop AND FYE try telling me it's not from time to time. The transactions I completed with those clerks were quickly cancelled until I could get a definitive answer.

[quote name='ImReallyTired']I'm going to have to side with the guy who didn't decide to sell the Wii because cash from some guy coming up to you versus credit or even cash from a store is much safer nowadays. Especially if the difference is only 10$![/quote]

How exactly was it safer? The ATM was less than twenty feet away; you could see if from the friggin store windows.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Obviously NOT good enough in the customers eyes since he rejected your 'damn good offer'. Now if you offered him $190 or $200, one of those might have been the 'magic number' to make him willing to part with his system.

I've had both happen to me while in a Gamestop before(offering $$$ for someones stuff and vice versa), however some people just don't want to sell for whatever reason.

You accept that fact and move on. Of course, in this digital age when people are slighted or feel slighted(see: The Consumerist for bitchy whiners complaining about non issues, like being stopped at the door at Wal*mart to check your receipt, in many cases), they turn to the internet for a comforting 'voice' to tell them 'it's ok you did all you could and you're STILL in the right'.

But, you won't get that from me, that's for sure.

Oh and to whoever said that credit is 'tax free', I've had a couple assclowns from Gamestop AND FYE try telling me it's not from time to time. The transactions I completed with those clerks were quickly cancelled until I could get a definitive answer.[/quote]

So how exactly is $160 better than $170?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Oh and to whoever said that credit is 'tax free', I've had a couple assclowns from Gamestop AND FYE try telling me it's not from time to time. The transactions I completed with those clerks were quickly cancelled until I could get a definitive answer.[/QUOTE]
Well I've never been charged tax when paying with credit at GS (only the amount paid in credit is tax free).

Can't say for FYE though because I've rarely traded in there.

Still, if the no tax thing is true at the GS he was at then $160 Credit>$170 Cash if he planned to spend it all at GS.

If Im doing my math correctly and only assuming a sales tax rate of 7% (this is low for a lot of suburbs and cities I think)

AND assuming he is just going to spend the money again at Gamestop (which it sounds like he was going to do), he made a smart decision and saved himself $1.20!!!!

160 spent in cash equals 11.20 in sales tax at 7%

By taking the $160 in tax free credit he saved himself $1.20

Should have upped the offer.

[quote name='schuerm26']If Im doing my math correctly and only assuming a sales tax rate of 7% (this is low for a lot of suburbs and cities I think)

AND assuming he is just going to spend the money again at Gamestop (which it sounds like he was going to do), he made a smart decision and saved himself $1.20!!!!

160 spent in cash equals 11.20 in sales tax at 7%

By taking the $160 in tax free credit he saved himself $1.20

Should have upped the offer.[/quote]

Connecticut sales tax is 6%.

[quote name='Visc']So how exactly is $160 better than $170?[/quote]

It's not, but since the customer saw that you were willing to try and get the system from him, he figured that maybe if he said no to $170 that you might UP the offer till it looked more attractive to him.

Believe me, if I had something that I was getting rid of to a store via trade in and someone said 'ill offer you more', I'd expect AT LEAST 20% over the stores 'offer'.

Plus, the guy probably thought you might try to pass him some fake bills or something, which is why perhaps he denied your offer.

Honestly, the only person who knows what the reason for him saying no is the guy himself.

The only thing you can do in this case is look out for another person trading a Wii in and make a more generous offer next time.

wow, I didn't know that some people on these boards have such little common sense that they dont realize $170 in cash is better than 160 in credit.

[quote name='zewone']I get taxed on credit all the time.

It happens so often, I don't even care anymore.[/quote]

Your not supposed to so that be your fault for not fighting it, though I couldn't tell you if this varies by state

Ok, first of all I would NEVER buy a used system off someone trading it in to gamestop. Chances are that system is broken in some way or another, whether they tried to cover it up or not just so it would work for the initial test (how many people have done the towel trick on the Xbox360 just to get it work long enough to trade it in!) is unknown. Gamestop is basically the dump for systems that are just about to break, so I would NEVER buy a system off someone who was just about to trade it in, its really not safe because there is no guarantee and you could have put that 170$ towards a new working Wii that you know would work.

he dident know what you would try to do to him once he left the store, he was just playing it safe, dotting his I's and crossing his T's

[quote name='Segasonic01']wow, I didn't know that some people on these boards have such little common sense that they dont realize $170 in cash is better than 160 in credit.[/quote]

But $190-200 would've been MUCH more desirable of an amount, which is what I think most of us are thinking the guy was holding out for, for the OP to UP the offer to something a little more lucrative.

[quote name='SaraAB']Ok, first of all I would NEVER buy a used system off someone trading it in to gamestop. Chances are that system is broken in some way or another, whether they tried to cover it up or not just so it would work for the initial test (how many people have done the towel trick on the Xbox360 just to get it work long enough to trade it in!) is unknown. Gamestop is basically the dump for systems that are just about to break, so I would NEVER buy a system off someone who was just about to trade it in, its really not safe because there is no guarantee and you could have put that 170$ towards a new working Wii that you know would work.[/quote]

I've never done that with a system before, only TWO PS2's including one with a laser assembly which scratched games to hell and one with a laser with maybe 2 weeks left before it croaked.

So, not as much as other people, but I'm definitely guilty of that.

[quote name='Poor2More']he dident know what you would try to do to him once he left the store, he was just playing it safe, dotting his I's and crossing his T's[/quote]
Why would he give him money for the Wii & then follow him outside? I'm pretty sure the guy was just dumb, not fearing for his life...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But $190-200 would've been MUCH more desirable of an amount, which is what I think most of us are thinking the guy was holding out for, for the OP to UP the offer to something a little more lucrative.[/quote]
I guess at least $180 would be better, but still...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But $190-200 would've been MUCH more desirable of an amount, which is what I think most of us are thinking the guy was holding out for, for the OP to UP the offer to something a little more lucrative.[/quote]

If he had bothered to bring everything that came with it I would have given him a better offer, as I stated. He didn't, so I'm not going to rip myself off in the process.

[quote name='Segasonic01']Why would he give him money for the Wii & then follow him outside? I'm pretty sure the guy was just dumb, not fearing for his life...[/quote]

I really dident know Gamestop would let you make a transaction with a customer right under their nose in their store.

Figure you would have to go outside to do the swap

[quote name='Visc']If he had bothered to bring everything that came with it I would have given him a better offer, as I stated. He didn't, so I'm not going to rip myself off in the process.[/quote]

You're not going to 'rip yourself off' but it's ok to offer him a paltry $10 more than they offered and consider it a 'damn good offer'. I love when people try to lowball others on the worth of their stuff, then get pissed off when someone isn't stupid enough to sell for that price.

[quote name='Poor2More']I really dident know Gamestop would let you make a transaction with a customer right under their nose in their store.

Figure you would have to go outside to do the swap[/quote]

I do it all the time there. The staff there happen to be good friends of mine so they don't mind. Heck, I did it two more times that same trip for a copy of Kingdom Hearts 2 and a dreamcast system (I let someone else get the latter though since I knew him and it was for his neice).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You're not going to 'rip yourself off' but it's ok to offer him a paltry $10 more than they offered and consider it a 'damn good offer'. I love when people try to lowball others on the worth of their stuff, then get pissed off when someone isn't stupid enough to sell for that price.[/quote]

So $160 isn't a lowball offer but $170 is?

[quote name='Visc']Someone dumber than Gamestop employees...[/quote]

[quote name='Visc']The staff there happen to be good friends of mine[/quote]

you sound kind of mean to your friends.

[quote name='Poor2More']I really dident know Gamestop would let you make a transaction with a customer right under their nose in their store.

Figure you would have to go outside to do the swap[/quote]

Normally they really frown on it. I have a store like the ops, and have become friends with the manager and revolving staff...(dropping in with snacks and nice e-mails to corporate help...) I bought a coral DS from a gal for I think $60 in store with the manager's blessing ... the store ran out of cash so it saved her a trip to another store and I gave her the "credit" amount rounded up Vs the cash amount...it did include all the packaging and was in pristine condition...the manager even allowed a game to be borrowed to test it...too much Judge Judy...lol

[quote name='ikariwarriors']you sound kind of mean to your friends.[/quote]

Two gamestops within a quarter mile of each other. One is full of douchebags, the other, this one, staffed with good people. The other store happens to fill the GS employee stereotype quite perfectly.

$160 in easy store credit or $170 from some random guy?

There's still only a $10 difference. If you really wanted it, you'd have offered more. We all know that we'd never trade a Wii in for $170, let alone $160. You just got out-cheapassed.

bread's done
Back