Someone enlighten me on the most troublefree Wireless Router?

ttriber

CAGiversary!
I just recently bought a Linsyks Wireless with the N connection. Well I spent 2 whole days in frustration trieng to get the damn thing to work. It worked one night then the next day it wouldnt go online. So I went back to my bestbuy and got my money back because I was in utter frustration. I will not buy a Linsksys router again. So I went back to my D-Link which I used before, I have the wired D-link and it is working fine and dandy just like the old days. I'm wondering what is the Best Wireless router that is troublefree that I dont have to spend a whole day on trieng to configure.

I would like to see some suggestions. I'm gonna also add if its cheaper then 80$ bucks that would be great. I was thinking about buying a D-Link Wireless router because I have never had a problem with them. But don't know which one to get. Thanks you!!

Well all I use are Linksys wireless routers, with DD-WRT flashed onto them. There is also this Belkin Wireless-N Gaming router that can handle DD-WRT as well. I pretty much only use routers that can have the DD-WRT firmware flashed onto them. Makes them much easier to configure and stable in my opinion.

[quote name='jp0213']Well all I use are Linksys wireless routers, with DD-WRT flashed onto them. There is also this Belkin Wireless-N Gaming router that can handle DD-WRT as well. I pretty much only use routers that can have the DD-WRT firmware flashed onto them. Makes them much easier to configure and stable in my opinion.[/quote]Beat me to the punch.

Linksys WRT54GL + DD-WRT firmware = rock-solid router.

[quote name='Dingleberry']Buffalo router with tomato firmware is the best in my opinion and many others... People say they've had theirs up and running for over 300 days without having to restart it.[/quote]
Just came in here to post this. It's a great alternative to the Linksys+DD-WRT setup although both are pretty awesome.

So no D-Link router suggestions. Any router that is wireless that I don't even need to put the installation cd and i hook up all of the chords and walah it works? LoL I guess im hoping for a magic solution rather then calling the tech support which is a pain in the rear to deal with.

As of right now I like the Buffalo Router sounds good. On that router can i connect my pc to it because it isn't wireless and my Xbox 360 as well.

I set up a cheap $12 Trendnet router I got off newegg.com at my girlfriend's apartment and I must admit, it's quite the dandy thing. I actually find that it connects to my notebooks, netbook, and iPhone a lot quicker than the $100 Linksys I have hooked up in my house. I never lose signal at my girlfriend's place even when I do some heavy duty gaming and downloading.

2nd the BuffaloTech router + tomato firmware. Although it's a little tougher to install than Linksys DD-WRT, I like Tomato better.

[quote name='ttriber']As of right now I like the Buffalo Router sounds good. On that router can i connect my pc to it because it isn't wireless and my Xbox 360 as well.[/QUOTE]

I believe the BuffaloTech router has 4 ethernet ports so, yeah.

P.S. - It's "voila" not walah. Just FYI. :)

I had a Linksys Wireless N router and brought it back to Best Buy too because for some reason it really slowed down my connection for my PS3. I tried to configure the router but I just gave up. Instead, I went on to Newegg.com and bought a DLink DIR-655 Wireless router. It's a little expensive ($99.99) but performs flawlessly. I have a computer, a PS3, and an Xbox360 connected to it by wire. I also have 2 laptops connected wirelessly. All devices work fine when they're on simultaneously. This router was an upgrade from my old wired Dlink router. I highly recommend it. Check out the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127215 It's got great reviews.

dejeckt: It's more or less turning the router into a linux box. Along with stability, you get tons of features not included or firmware-locked from router, and tons of customizations. I had a old school Pentium 266 linux box that bit the dust so I went for the easy solution of just plugging in a random router. No go. The bit torrent traffic alone on my network of 10 comps cripples tons of consumer routers causing iptables to overflow. Most won't last a day. Picked up BuffaloTech and w/o Tomato, it'll last a day w/o a restart. w/ Tomato, I haven't had to reset the thing since last year. Awesome stuff.

[quote name='Snirandone']Instead, I went on to Newegg.com and bought a DLink DIR-655 Wireless router.[/quote]
I'm currently on my 3rd DIR-655 within a period of 10 months. They've all worked great at first, then began to randomly drop Wi-Fi connections. Eventually, the disconnects happen so frequently that the router is unusable.

My 3rd unit, what I'm currently using, has begun the path to failure, so I'll probably be on my 4th unit soon.

AVOID.

Unless your flashing the router with one of the previously mentioned firmwares, it seems all routers have issues. Though I have had no issues with my linksys dual band n router once I got it setup. Though getting it setup right sucked. Without flashing the router expect to reset any router you buy at least once every week or two at best.

[quote name='ttriber']I just recently bought a Linsyks Wireless with the N connection. Well I spent 2 whole days in frustration trieng to get the damn thing to work. It worked one night then the next day it wouldnt go online. So I went back to my bestbuy and got my money back because I was in utter frustration. I will not buy a Linsksys router again. So I went back to my D-Link which I used before, I have the wired D-link and it is working fine and dandy just like the old days. I'm wondering what is the Best Wireless router that is troublefree that I dont have to spend a whole day on trieng to configure.

I would like to see some suggestions. I'm gonna also add if its cheaper then 80$ bucks that would be great. I was thinking about buying a D-Link Wireless router because I have never had a problem with them. But don't know which one to get. Thanks you!![/QUOTE]
I've used routers ranging from cheap to several thousand dollars. For my money, one of the best I've seen yet is the D-Link DIR-655. It's relatively cheap, quite configurable, and very stable.

[quote name='orochi']2nd the BuffaloTech router + tomato firmware. Although it's a little tougher to install than Linksys DD-WRT, I like Tomato better.

I believe the BuffaloTech router has 4 ethernet ports so, yeah.

P.S. - It's "voila" not walah. Just FYI. :)[/QUOTE]

I too agree that the Buffalo router is awesome. It runs great off stock firmware and also on any 3rd party firmware that you flash on it. A lot of other techies on anandtech would also agree that this quite possibly the best router in this price range that you can get. Linksys is a decent brand but basically you are just paying for the name; the buffalo router is a better choice.

Well I bought a router from ATT was cheap, my local internet provider. It's wireless & if that doesn't work out I will go with the D-link wireless router.
Wish me luck intalling the damn thing!

+2 on the DIR655... first router I didn't have to spend an entire afternoon configuring, only to have to reset it a few months down the road when it lost the connection (Linksys wireless B/G routers for example). Stable, moderately priced, N-capable. What more can you ask for?

jpw21683, sorry to hear about the D-Link. I've had good luck with Linksys in the past but a recent bout of random drops on multiple (previously stable, old.. b and g versions) turned me away from them... Netgear's not worth your time... maybe the buffalo others have suggested might be a good alternative?

bread's done
Back