Someone hit my car in my parking lot and left a dent but no note... What do I do?

You can pull the dent pretty easily yourself. Go to a Advance Auto or Auto Zone some place like that and ask for a dent puller. They should carry one that looks like a super sized suction cup, put it in the center of the spot and pull it out.

Also make sure to stick it in her pooper for hitting your car.

i doubt cameras would mean a thing.. i saw a car back into another one at an apartment place.. went in and told them.. they said even though they have cameras they CAN NOT USE THE FOOTAGE for something like this ..

[quote name='mitch079']I left a note once. Person never called.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, back when I was in college someone scraped my car a little bit. They gave their info to campus police and campus police called me over to my car. I got the information but didn't do anything with it. I figure if someone is that honest about a minor thing like that, I'm not going to go through the trouble. I would be pissed if I were the OP and saw that shit though. You have to be pretty negligent to do that to a parked car. I hope some vigilante justice is served on that red SUV bimbo.

wow that's really fucked up... here is my experience with someone doing a little over night hit and run.

So I wake up and go check on my car in my gf's apartment parking lot to find my car in this position: :hot:

[IMG-C=7125]19777[/IMG-C]

Some asshole at some time during the night drove over the grass infront of my car and shoved my car into someone else's car. This was evident from the fresh tire marks on the grass.

[IMG-C=7125]19775[/IMG-C]

[IMG-C=7125]19778[/IMG-C]

The owner of the other car was confused as I was and realized after seeing the tire marks on the grass that someone else was involved in this shit. (Since I had headlight damage to my left light and scratch marks on the bumper as well). Luckily I took a shit load of pictures.

Called the police and it took them 2 hours to come by to take the report...the other guy had to leave to take his daughter to school said he would be back and we did exchange insurance information... he never came back when the police came.

My insurance declared it as an "Uninsured motorist" so I had to pay a 500 dollar deductible until they got the police report. :bomb: Took them 6 months but I ended up getting a 300 dollar refund :bouncy:.... the damage was like around 1400 bucks :cry:. Never did find who did this shit and why....my guess is some assholes thought it was funny to pick on the guy who was from out of state :( Luckily the other guy was cool and calm or there would have been some ass kicking :(

[quote name='slidecage']i doubt cameras would mean a thing.. i saw a car back into another one at an apartment place.. went in and told them.. they said even though they have cameras they CAN NOT USE THE FOOTAGE for something like this ..[/QUOTE]

Chances are that was their excuse to hide the fact the cameras were not even on. Shit, 90% of the "black dome" cameras at department stores are empty inside. There's a few at my work like that, stand in the right spot and you can see right through them. It's just a money saving deterrent, putting up fake cameras.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Chances are that was their excuse to hide the fact the cameras were not even on. Shit, 90% of the "black dome" cameras at department stores are empty inside. There's a few at my work like that, stand in the right spot and you can see right through them. It's just a money saving deterrent, putting up fake cameras.[/QUOTE]

Problem is with that is when some serious shit happens...like someone getting killed or other property damage...there is no "evidence".

[quote name='ITDEFX']Problem is with that is when some serious shit happens...like someone getting killed or other property damage...there is no "evidence".[/QUOTE]

I think it really is against the law to use footage for car accidents. If you set up a camera to film constantly, and it films a car hitting you, you still can't use that in court.

[quote name='elessar123']I think it really is against the law to use footage for car accidents. If you set up a camera to film constantly, and it films a car hitting you, you still can't use that in court.[/QUOTE]

And where is your J.D. from?

[quote name='the_grimace']honestly, I really don't like the town too much. It's alright, but there's not much of a scene here I can enjoy (big scene is bar, cafes, and coffee shops) and there's not many geeky things to do around here. I'm only here because I'm pretty much willing to do anything to get my career off the ground. Once I have a few years experience, I definitely plan to move. I also just hate the cold too much to stay here as well.

My company is great, but the town is very "meh" to me and I am really hating the cold right about now. (I moved from Arizona... cold there is like 50 degrees. haha)[/QUOTE]

Champaign used to have a great music scene, but I am not sure if that is still the case.

[quote name='elessar123']I think it really is against the law to use footage for car accidents. If you set up a camera to film constantly, and it films a car hitting you, you still can't use that in court.[/QUOTE]

Please don't post stupid shit like this. Seriously, not even a word of this is true and hopefully nobody that has read it has believed you.

[quote name='V3rtigo']Please don't post stupid shit like this. Seriously, not even a word of this is true and hopefully nobody that has read it has believed you.[/QUOTE]

http://www.dgswireless.com/wireless-surveillance-cameras-and-the-law/

Try doing some research before you post stupid shit yourself. Laws vary from state to state, but they actually reference that scenario exactly.

"So you’re safe, right? Well not so fast. Assume you set your camera up to catch whoever has been parking next to you and dinging your car door. Your wireless surveillance camera has a nice view of the parking lot in front of your townhouse. Unfortunately the townhouses across from yours are also in view. Depending on your local laws, this may be considered an invasion of privacy. "

[quote name='Seiran']http://www.dgswireless.com/wireless-surveillance-cameras-and-the-law/

Try doing some research before you post stupid shit yourself. Laws vary from state to state, but they actually reference that scenario exactly.

"So you’re safe, right? Well not so fast. Assume you set your camera up to catch whoever has been parking next to you and dinging your car door. Your wireless surveillance camera has a nice view of the parking lot in front of your townhouse. Unfortunately the townhouses across from yours are also in view. Depending on your local laws, this may be considered an invasion of privacy. "[/QUOTE]

And the gist of that part of the article is that as long as your camera is set up so that it ONLY films the parking lot, which is a PUBLIC place, then you're most likely within your rights and the law. So yes, elessar123's post is very misleading at best, and stupid at worst.

[quote name='keithp']And the gist of that part of the article is that as long as your camera is set up so that it ONLY films the parking lot, which is a PUBLIC place, then you're most likely within your rights and the law. So yes, elessar123's post is very misleading at best, and stupid at worst.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']fix it yourself you $$$$$$. jesus.
cops aren't going to do shit, and neither does posting about it here.[/QUOTE]

Actually with some insurance agencies they want the police report. With my "event" I didn't get my refund until after the agency got the police report...6 months later ...geez :(

So it might help.

Someone hit my car in my parking lot and left a dent but no note... What do I do?
peppy.gif

DO A BARRELL ROLL!

[quote name='Seiran']Isn't an apartment complex parking lot technically private property? At the very least, he'd need the approval of the apartment complex. Ultimately, he'd want to speak to a lawyer in his area that's familiar with the laws there.

More info that touches on the subject:
http://www.ojotech.com/pdf/The_Law_and_Video_Surveillance.pdf[/QUOTE]

Considering that's from a private company and only cites some Yale course it found its course materials for on the internet, I'd be wary of its accuracy.

With parking lots, depending on its size, location, and who is permitted onto the parking lot, you're going to run into diminished expectations of privacy, because even though its privately owned, it can still be quasi-public in nature. Generally that applies to commercial areas like perhaps a giant outdoor mall if signs aren't posted prohibiting filming, but its possibly it could apply to other parking lots.

But the only good answer here is to call a lawyer knowledgeable about the subject in the OP's particular state and get the best information from the lawyer. Alternatively he could ask his landlord about putting cameras up in the parking lot for the future.

[quote name='Seiran']http://www.dgswireless.com/wireless-surveillance-cameras-and-the-law/

"So you’re safe, right? Well not so fast. Assume you set your camera up to catch whoever has been parking next to you and dinging your car door. Your wireless surveillance camera has a nice view of the parking lot in front of your townhouse. Unfortunately the townhouses across from yours are also in view. Depending on your local laws, this may be considered an invasion of privacy. "[/QUOTE]

No, you need to re-read your link again, which uses such layman terms that legality can't be deciphered from a single sentence. If you're going to post a link, post one of a specific statute being broken in any state.

You're filming without sound and not into someone's house. That's legal. There is absolutely no expectation of privacy in a parking lot.

[quote name='V3rtigo']No, you need to re-read your link again, which uses such layman terms that legality can't be deciphered from a single sentence. If you're going to post a link, post one of a specific statute being broken in any state.

You're filming without sound and not into someone's house. That's legal. There is absolutely no expectation of privacy in a parking lot.[/QUOTE]

I'll admit the first part of what I said was most likely wrong (legality), but it's still true that a silent video recording could be inadmissible evidence, no? Or you might be able to prove a certain car hit you, but not actually film who was driving it. Which, depending on the case, could be as good as not having the video.

And really, if you lawyers types or whatever don't actually contribute and correct people, but just throw out insults, then don't expect everyone else to actually learn what is actually true, and the false information will just get passed around, like how I was told.

But hey, if you want to make CAG just like /b/, then fine, point accomplished.

OP are you a student? Usually Universities (in Illinois at least) have free legal representation for students enrolled in a normal course load.

[quote name='elessar123']I'll admit the first part of what I said was most likely wrong (legality), but it's still true that a silent video recording could be inadmissible evidence, no? Or you might be able to prove a certain car hit you, but not actually film who was driving it. Which, depending on the case, could be as good as not having the video.[/QUOTE]

In many states it doesn't matter who was driving. The owner of the car is liable first and foremost for all damage caused by anyone driving the car.

The bottom line here is the OP needs to contact a lawyer before he films any parking lots. No one on CAG can give him the specific legal advice he needs for his situation in his state of residence. And if you were giving him specific legal advice you may be engaged in the unauthorized practice of law.

Did you have a first accident forgiveness feature on your car insurance (hartfordauto.thehartford.com/Auto-Insurance/) policy? If yes AND if this was your first ‘accident’, it is good to report it to your insurance company so that they update your record – even if you are not claiming for any amount. It is good to keep the insurance company in loop in order to ensure your rates do not go up exponentially in the next renewal.

I'm fairly sure this thread is dead and buried, but I vehemently disagree with nolan.light and gotta put in my two cents, if you have "first accident forgiveness" why would you blow it on something minor like this? Don't get me wrong, I'm not hoping for anyone to get in an accident, but for most people it is a matter of when you will get in an accident, not if. If I had that, I would save that for a "real" accident unless you'd rather pay more to insurance companies.

[quote name='nolan.light']Did you have a first accident forgiveness feature on your car insurance (hartfordauto.thehartford.com/Auto-Insurance/) policy? If yes AND if this was your first ‘accident’, it is good to report it to your insurance company so that they update your record – even if you are not claiming for any amount. It is good to keep the insurance company in loop in order to ensure your rates do not go up exponentially in the next renewal.[/QUOTE]

Are you the OP's insurance agent or something? Are you a spammer based by your inclusion of that particular insurance company's link?

By notifying your insurance company about this, there is a greater chance your rates will go up versus if they think nothing at all has happened to you and your car. And like the poster above me said, that's a waste of an accident forgiveness use. Save it for when you get T-Boned and your car is totaled, not when someone dinged your rear fender or whatever.

[quote name='sykotek']I'm fairly sure this thread is dead and buried, but I vehemently disagree with nolan.light and gotta put in my two cents, if you have "first accident forgiveness" why would you blow it on something minor like this? Don't get me wrong, I'm not hoping for anyone to get in an accident, but for most people it is a matter of when you will get in an accident, not if. If I had that, I would save that for a "real" accident unless you'd rather pay more to insurance companies.[/QUOTE]

Looks like a mod deleted that post (and my post replying to it) since it was oddly spam like and full of misinformation.

I just read a few post, but I'd definately get a police report done on the incident. Maybe stop by a repair shop to see how much it'll cost and then call your insurance company or the other way around. I know if you report the incident to your insurance company your payments may go up, but if you got a clean driving record (like me) more than likely it won't. Let us know!

My advice is to not report it and pay someone to pull the dent out. Even if the the paint is chipped slightly. Your rates will go up if you report it, even if it's not your fault.

Have a GPS? Did it come with a window mount with a suction cup? Bam. Instant dent puller. I've had to do it a few times and it has worked every time.

[quote name='pittpizza']My advice is to not report it and pay someone to pull the dent out. Even if the the paint is chipped slightly. Your rates will go up if you report it, even if it's not your fault.[/QUOTE]

Varies by company. Some have first accident forgiveness, or don't bump it up for relatively small dollar claims etc.

If he has bargain basement insurance, then it will probably go up. Bigger companies like Geico tend to be more forgiving, especially if you've been with them for a while and always paid on time etc. My ex had 3 or 4 fender benders, all but one of which was her fault, and they somehow never raised her premium.

I had a cheaper company at the time, and mine got bumped up after one fender bender and a couple of tickets (illegal turn, rolling stop). So it just varies.

bread's done
Back