Someone once asked why I dont believe in god.

[quote name='eldad9']It is completely unreasonable to reject evolution. No real scientist will do so, especially since no other scientific theory exists, and microevolution has been observed directly (and, in fact, caused).[/quote]

I don't think it's unreasonable to have problems with the theory of evolution as I have already explained. Until there is more proof and more plausible explanations in parts of it I don't think it's responsible to accept it lock, stock and barrel.

[quote name='eldad9']While evolution itself is well understood, our historical records are and will remain incomplete - an obvious problem when studying specific events that happened hundreds of millions of years ago is that evidence tends to be scarce.[/quote]

You contradict yourself. You say the theory is well understood, but the evidence supporting said theory is not.

[quote name='eldad9']What's your issue with the answers provided?[/QUOTE]

1. "Evolution has been observed." Where? Can they give an example of an acutal mutation leading to an adaptation that changes a species? I haven't seen any such example. I've seen plenty of examples of natural selection, which is not the same as evolution.

2. "Speciation occurs gradually." How, in some cases? How did sexual organs develop? Are people really arguing that male and female randomly mutated at the exact same time in two different individuals, these individuals were in physical contact, survived to mate, mated successfully, and their offspring survived and created a new species? How likely is that? Since sexual reproduction takes two individuals, how can changes in that mechanism happen through evolution as we currently understand it?

There are other issues, but those are two very big ones that have yet to be satisfactorily answered, at least in my view.

[quote name='elprincipe']I don't think it's unreasonable to have problems with the theory of evolution as I have already explained. Until there is more proof and more plausible explanations in parts of it I don't think it's responsible to accept it lock, stock and barrel.[/quote]
It's reasonable to have questions; books provide the answers, as do experts. There's more proof every year. Some people may be unable or unwilling to understand evolution. As I mentioned, it's the only scientific theory. Got a better one? (A scientific theory, mind you).

[quote name='elprincipe']You contradict yourself. You say the theory is well understood, but the evidence supporting said theory is not.[/quote]
I do not. We know the principles, but not necessarily all the details in all cases. Just like we know about the migratory patterns of certain species of birds without having to track each member of the species.

[quote name='elprincipe']1. "Evolution has been observed." Where? Can they give an example of an acutal mutation leading to an adaptation that changes a species? I haven't seen any such example. I've seen plenty of examples of natural selection, which is not the same as evolution.
[/quote]
Mutation causes diversity, natural selection favors certain mutations. That is evolution in a nutshell. For new species, see Claim CB910.

[quote name='elprincipe']2. "Speciation occurs gradually." How, in some cases? How did sexual organs develop? Are people really arguing that male and female randomly mutated at the exact same time in two different individuals, these individuals were in physical contact, survived to mate, mated successfully, and their offspring survived and created a new species? How likely is that? Since sexual reproduction takes two individuals, how can changes in that mechanism happen through evolution as we currently understand it?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure you understand what the term 'speciation' means (look it up), but see [url='http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB350.html]CB350[/url]. And it is not claimed or required that a mutation occurs in both sexes, of course, any more than it is required that two parents have the same hair color for their offspring to share the same trait; otherwise breeding would be impossible unless both parents shared the exact same DNA.

I am having a hard time reconciling your apparent interest in the subject and your lack of basic knowledge. I'm quite certain my library has two or three sets of lectures discussing biology; would you be interested in listening to them?

[quote name='eldad9']It's reasonable to have questions; books provide the answers, as do experts. There's more proof every year. Some people may be unable or unwilling to understand evolution. As I mentioned, it's the only scientific theory. Got a better one? (A scientific theory, mind you).[/quote]

No, I don't have a better theory. But that doesn't mean this one is right.

[quote name='eldad9']I am having a hard time reconciling your apparent interest in the subject and your lack of basic knowledge. I'm quite certain my library has two or three sets of lectures discussing biology; would you be interested in listening to them?[/QUOTE]

You are pointing me toward information I already read when you linked to it before (thanks again for that, it was interesting). I think you are confusing a lack of knowledge and questions about how basic evolution concepts work. Please don't assume that non-agreement with you is the same as a lack of knowledge, as that is pretty arrogant.

I have heard these types of explanations before, but they seem to have holes in them or are implausible. It's easy to make up explanations for things that fit into the theory instead of considering there are major flaws in the theory, and I think many of the answers provided by evolution disciples bear that out.

To sum up, the answers on that page just don't provide a satisfactory answer to the issues I raised (there are others as well, but those are two big ones, as I said).

There is to many religions out there to many choices create war.
That sucks about ur friend dying I honestly feel like it has to do with nothing randomness.
I respect people more when they honestly truly have no belief in god it shows they see the world for themselves as do I.

To me, it's you who seems arrogant. There's a scientific theory which is accepted by the entire scientific community. Nobody has not only a better theory, but any alternative whatsoever. You perceive problems with it which stem from your limited understanding, but are not inclined to look into them at depth. You just don't accept the theory.

This is not logical, and not something people not influenced by religion do.

And your reference to "evolution disciples" is disturbing. Do you also refer to "quantum disciples" or "heliocentricity disciples"?

[quote name='eldad9']To me, it's you who seems arrogant. There's a scientific theory which is accepted by the entire scientific community. Nobody has not only a better theory, but any alternative whatsoever. You perceive problems with it which stem from your limited understanding, but are not inclined to look into them at depth. You just don't accept the theory.

This is not logical, and not something people not influenced by religion do.

And your reference to "evolution disciples" is disturbing. Do you also refer to "quantum disciples" or "heliocentricity disciples"?[/QUOTE]

I think people who think anyone with a different opinion than theirs is "ignorant" or "stupid" are the arrogant ones. Your comments in this regard are not very civil, and really can only be interpreted (especially given a failure to answer the arguments presented) as an attempt to deflect attention away from the substance of the debate to "only a stupid person would believe such-and-such."

Again you refer to limited understanding, yet having read and understood the unsatisfactory answers provided on the page you linked to (along with others in the past) I can tell you yet again it's not a question of understanding, but problems with the logic of what is said. The funny thing is that the current theory of evolution is something that is unquestionably the result of limited understanding, yet you feel its total and complete perfection is ironclad truth.

Evolution disciples was a reference to people who are so dedicated to the theory of evolution that they refuse to see any problems with it, or when problems come along they are quick to accept any answer that fits in with the theory they already believe in unquestioningly. It's a scientific rut where people refuse to question the status quo and thus the advancement of our understanding is hampered.

It really depends on whether a matter is objective or subjective. Science is objective. Not believing in gravity is stupid, wouldn't you agree?

It seems my understanding is too limited to even perceive your misgivings, let alone answer them. So I will step back, merely suggesting that you seek your answers directly from books or persons with a more than passing familiarity with the field. As I said, I have a few audiobooks on the subject; PM me if you like.

It seems to me that advancement of understand is also hampered when understanding is achieved. Without specific knowledge, how can you tell the difference?

I guess I will just say thanks again for the links, they were very interesting to look at and there were some things there I had not read before.

I will also say that of course not believing in gravity is stupid, because you can demonstrate it quite easily and pretty concretely. Evolution, on the other hand, is a far more complex subject, and even more intriguingly is partly based on the study of historical records such as fossils.

Finally, I would say two more things. Firstly, I think natural selection is pretty much proven as a concept. It is a process that has been thoroughly studied and shown to happen I would say beyond any reasonable doubt. Secondly, I am not saying I would completely discount or never accept the theory of evolution. I just feel there are too many questions to accept it lock, stock & barrel.

I think it would be funny if eldad9 and elprincipe were the same person. Think about it: their handles both start with "el" and do not include any upper-case letters, they both joined in June of 2003, one has an itrader rating of 43 and the other of 34....it's intriguing...

[quote name='NeoFrank1']I think it would be funny if eldad9 and elprincipe were the same person. Think about it: their handles both start with "el" and do not include any upper-case letters, they both joined in June of 2003, one has an itrader rating of 43 and the other of 34....it's intriguing...[/QUOTE]

:lol: This is especially funny considering all the crazy conspiracy crap floating around this forum lately (IE the 9/11 thread).

Nearly the same reason I don't believe in God. Apperantly God is some ruler who makes good people walk the Earth to die. How could any ruler kill his own people? Doesn't really make sense to me, and doesn't really (In my eyes) make him any better than a senseless dictator. That, and the whole "logic" thing.

~AwesomeWalrus

[quote name='AwesomeWalrus']Nearly the same reason I don't believe in God. Apperantly God is some ruler who makes good people walk the Earth to die. How could any ruler kill his own people? Doesn't really make sense to me, and doesn't really (In my eyes) make him any better than a senseless dictator. That, and the whole "logic" thing.

~AwesomeWalrus[/QUOTE]

This line of reasoning makes me venture maybe you are ignorant of most religions. Given that all the major religions hold beliefs in another, different life after death, surely you are putting too much emphasis on death (or so they would tell you). This among other things like your understanding is surely a lot more limited than His, He does things for a purpose, and (as already pointed out) since God is by definition good (at least in all mainstream religions), comparing His acts to a dictator is rather bizarre.

forgive me for not reading the 6 or so pages on this thread.

carefull: questions ahead

If god created me with the intent of letting me have free will, I think that my free will then must be carried out.

If god kills people or takes their life for not giving up this free will or not giving absolute devotion, even though they may be good people, is that really a god I wish to spend eternity with?

are only the fearful or those born into church homes the ones that go to heaven? what about the ignorant, or those on the other side of the world. Are people brought up buddist in tebet not the same as those brought up christian here? would a person have to come to beleave christianity rather then being born into it for that beleave to be any value, and for those who do grow up in a christian home, is that unfair to the rest of the world.... free ticket? Is it best to leave these people on the other side of the world Ignorant for truely a good god could not send them to hell for never knowing, so wouldn’t missionaries be hurting them by forcing them to change? By tearing them from thier culture and daily life?

If he(god) created me and can see the end of time, he knows what I will do thus i have no free will, so my actions are without meaning, and no matter my action, my destination after death is pre ordained? then is god evil for not using his power to sway my actions so i go to heavon?

In the bible God tells others to kill, Does this also mean god is evil for killing, but does the 10 commandments not say thou shale not kill? Is this a double standard?

If I indeed have free will, does that not destroy an all powerful god, when he can not see what my actions will be? for then he shale not be all powerful if my futcher actions are unknown to him?

I ask these questions, because these are the questions of a agnostic, who I very much am. I think that these are questions need answers yet their are none, so I am perplexed and cannot make such a soul binding commitment. True one must have faith, but if anything it is faith that will be wrong. Every major religion has faith. They all have faith that their version is the only version (well at least muslum, christian, hendu, jewish) and that they are the favored. Isn’t that strange? Seems kind of hard to have faith when it is so common. Someone must be wrong. I wonder who?

So I came to the conclusion that I will live my life as good as I can. I will help those in need, ect... for if goodness cannot come from within me, it is without meaning. How can i let something i don’t understand guild my moral judgment. too many wars, too much blood. I don’t need a reason to be good to others, and i dont feel i need a moral compass that is divine. That is so far out of reach that it makes us loose perspective on the here and now. Sure sperituality is importent, but it shouldent disalusion us. on another note, why are all divine connections through others (like pesters), and if they are not, why do we need them?

I might post more thoughts later. Sorry for jacking the thread. It better then makeing a new thread.

Sorry this thread needs a good edit. I will do so later. I suck at spelling. While I relize all stuped people cant spell, people can also be smart and lack spelling skills.

*fixed most of the spelling. It was late when I wrote this... or early, hehehe.*

[FONT=&quot]Thanks for the links. I cant promise I will read all these, but i sure as well can try. I see you are a Sam Harris fan?
[/FONT]

[quote name='AwesomeWalrus']Nearly the same reason I don't believe in God. Apperantly God is some ruler who makes good people walk the Earth to die. How could any ruler kill his own people? Doesn't really make sense to me, and doesn't really (In my eyes) make him any better than a senseless dictator. That, and the whole "logic" thing.

~AwesomeWalrus[/QUOTE]

As someone has already pointed out, that is almost completely irrelevant. God's (God defined as some supernatural, self-aware being that created the universe, its laws, and everything in it while observing and judging us now) existance is not dependent on the existance of good or evil at all. God's existance should be predicated on evidence, logic, science, probabiliy, etc. I suggest you read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins for more on this, as he can articulate this position a lot more effectively than I could ever hope to.

[quote name='elprincipe']This line of reasoning makes me venture maybe you are ignorant of most religions. Given that all the major religions hold beliefs in another, different life after death, surely you are putting too much emphasis on death (or so they would tell you). This among other things like your understanding is surely a lot more limited than His, He does things for a purpose, and (as already pointed out) since God is by definition good (at least in all mainstream religions), comparing His acts to a dictator is rather bizarre.[/QUOTE]

How is the Yahweh of the Old Testament good? How could a good that had Isaac almost sacrifice his son to prove his faith be good? Or one that would almost allow Lot's daughters to be gang-raped by the town of Sodom (there's an incident in another part that almost mirrors this incident perfectly, except the sodomy actually happens, and someone dies in the process) to protect two angels? Obviously, I could go on, but I think we're all at least familiar with the sort of things either directly or indirectly encouraged by Yahweh in the Old Testament.

And then there's Allah. I don't even think I need to say anything about that guy, what with the ordering of his followers to destroy infidels and rewarding them with paradise for sacrificing themselves to do so.

I won't bother with White-Wolf, as he seems to be a 50/50 agnostic, and those people make me a sad panda. Plus, his post is really long. I will say, though, that he seems to be giving too much assumptive respect to religion in forming the questions the way he does. So asking "Does god want X, Y, or Z because the bible says...?" is the inappropriate question. What god says in the bible doesn't matter in the least if the claims made are completely without reason, evidence, or are logicially incoherent with each other.

I think I may go through the older posts in this thread and respond in some way:

[quote name='Brak']I love the way you tip-toe around belittling the beliefs of others.

"No, I don't."

Yes, you do.[/quote]

Your implied assertion is that everyone's belief is worthy of respect and people shouldn't belittle them. Bullshit. There is absolutely nothing special about religion that should make its criticism any less reasonable than the criticism of any other belief about the world. What makes "God exists and he loves me." any different than "2+2=5"? Not a damn thing.

[quote name='Brak']Because it's not your place to do so.

I'm sure you could get a better mean-streak infested rush from pushing children down in the mud, mounting them bully-style, slugging them in the face a few times and declaring that Santa Claus isn't real, and that their parents don't go anywhere when they die.

There's a charming analogy for you -- one that isn't loaded, like yours.

Yes, religion teaches wrong -- it's rotted with man-made laws, rules and guidelines... That I can see having a vendetta against (although having vendetta's is pretty weak in itself, o' free-thinker). But razzing the shit out of people who believe in something grander than reality? Come on. Why use that as a catalyst? Get a life, man.[/quote]

Again you're passively awarding religion some sort of special status that makes its believers free of criticism. eldad already confronted this point earlier in greater detail, so I won't bother here.

[quote name='chosen1s']Actually, while atrocities have always occured in the name of religion, the vast majority of good in this world has come from people who brought about that good while pursuing their belief that they are fulfilling God's "good purposes" for their lives. [/quote]

Yeah, and? Are you implying that those people wouldn't have done good if it wasn't for religion? If you are, then we are in more trouble than first thought, and countries like Germany, the Netherlands, etc. are on the verge of a massive war, as they're relatively nonreligious.

[quote name='chosen1s']Even the now-deified (in our culture) scientists who stood up to the nasty ole' Church and told us all that the Earth actually revolves around the Sun and that it's round and not flat and that gravity keeps us from flying away, etc. would have (and did in the writings they left behind that are not studied in school) described themselves as deeply devoted to God.

If you think social, scientific (yes, I said scientific), and ethical advancement throughout human history has been brought about by an ongoing congregation of athiests and agnostics you are terribly misinformed.[/quote]

Most of those people lived a time when proclaiming a disbelief in the Christian god got you tortured, thrown in jail, or just plain killed.

You're also implying a relation between progress and religion, which is so completely baseless as to almost warrant contempt. Massive ethical, social, and scienctific advances have only become completely integrated when religion (particualrly Christianity, as most change throughout history was bred in the west) abandons its dogma in order to retain relevance. For example, people for centuries believed illnesses had supernatural causes (demons, god's wrath, etc.), but we know now that germs, viruses, etc. actually cause illness. Of course, any person who says otherwise today is considered either insane or a jackass.

[quote name='chosen1s']The most notable attempt to create a paradise based on athiesm/agnosticism was led by Karl Marx and the nations who based their institution of Communist rule on his teaching. It resulted in widespread misery and poverty while much of the "religeous" Western world flourished.[/quote]

Because the dogmatic form of Communism forced upon the Russia people by the Bolsheviks is completely rooted in reason and isn't like religion in any way, right? Oh wait, it's the exact same thing.

[quote name='chosen1s']Is it more probably that random events created the perfect location for life, then created life, or is it more probably that there is a God who created us?[/quote]

What a completely ridiculous satement. First off, you're assuming the location is perfect and that life is somehow special. Next, you're assuming that the events that lead to us were random. Anyone with even a passing knowledge of evolution and natural selection knows that the process is anything but random.

You also don't account for that fact that evolution and the other processes that lead to life on earth took billions of year to occur, and that even if they were improbable events, they had plenty of time to do so. You also say that the probability of a creator is much greater than the probability of the aforementioned processes leading to life on earth, which isn't even worth responding too, as any idiot would look at that argument and say "Who created the creator?" and that the probability of a being so complex that it could create the apparent complexity of the universe without being designed itself is completely improbable.

[quote name='Atherius']No, the potential and nature of mankind, historically, is to be unbending and unjust. But, you seem to miss the point. Why does my belief in the existance of something matter anything to you, or anyone else? I agree if God came and told people that they shouldn't use condoms, you have a right to take complaint. However, God didn't do that, men did.

So yes, with all things said I still believe. But why am I asked to postulate that God doesn't exist, when there are as many people that believes he does? I'm not telling you, you must believe. So why must you tell me I can't?[/quote]

Because history and present evidence has show time and time again that religious belief is the greatest imepedence to progress than knowledge yet known by mankind.

[quote name='Brak']It's no secret that religion is man-made. If one is right, they can't all be... Hell, maybe none of them are right -- and I'm speaking in terms of "mythology", in this regard. Religious teachings / beliefs, in terms of ways to live one's life, are different. A lot of religions share the same core beliefs, in this regard. Whether they're "right" is subjective, obviously; there are absolutes in way of what's right and wrong, however.

As long as there is man in religion, filtering the core beliefs through whatever agenda they have, religion can be mutated and deformed into anything. Hatred, money-grubbing, political / social vendettas, etc.[/quote]

The problem, though, is that the holy books of man (who is the only thing involved in their writing, obviously) are absolutely filled with hate and violence (you're a reasonable person, so I won't berate you by listing them), and much of the "good" is hidden between parts that call for the stoning of adulterers, the slaying of infidels, etc. It doesn't take a filter to turn Islam into a violent, conquer-centric religion or Christianity into an anti-semitic, women-hating one. It just takes a reading of the texts.

Your belief (not in the religious sense, but in the general one), if I'm understanding you correctly, is essentially that the violent and otherwise unuseful parts of the religious texts are to be ignored in favor of adapting the nicer parts. But, if one is to get some sort of moral or ethical code from a religious text (which is, at the end of the day, all the major religions are), how does one do that without applying some non-religious, secular standard of morality to it?

[quote name='Brak']I never proposed to turn religions into something that's inherently good. Again, lying within that question, you're speaking in absolutes.

As I mentioned earlier, man, throughout the ages, ruin things -- especially if they have the power to do so. And what better way that to brainwash the masses through a religion? King James' version of the Bible, for instance. He edited the Bible and threw in some of his own ulterior motives. Not circumcised? See you in Hell, you bastard.

Not all religions are inherently good, but a lot of them, at their core, have a semblance of something good that once was. Throughout time, and through the hands of man, they've been sculpted to appease various motives.[/quote]

My last response is relevant here as well, as the only real conclusion one could make is that the best way to determine how to live would be to completely abandon the religious doctrines in favor of reason, logic, and evidence.

[quote name='Brak']Erm... You do realize there has been a world with no religion, right? It's human nature, obviously, to be religious; to believe in a higher power, or to have a belief system, or else religion wouldn't be around today.[/quote]

Actually, this little part is very deep. Religion may actually be the by-product of an evolutionary (irony FTW!) adaptation that makes us listen to and believe are elders when we are children.

[quote name='Brak']You strive for a world where everyone shares your mindset, just like - say - the Christians you're so eager to complain about. (Amongst other religions).[/quote]

But that mindset (at least to me) is one completely grounded in reasonable discourse, evidence, and reason, not imaginary friends.

[quote name='Brak']And, yet again, your speaking solely in terms of the "magical" aspects of religion, and not the core moral beliefs. I'm tired of talking in circles, as much as I'm tired of you elaborating on the wrong points. As I mentioned earlier, in 17, or so, of my posts, you have misdirected angst towards religion. Do you dislike the unbelievable aspects of religion, or the moral guidelines? You're flipping between the two, whenever I try to discuss one of them.[/quote]

The problem is that the two are completely intertwined, and to untwine them would basically get rid of the religion and would leave use with nothing but an unjustified (not making a value judgement, merely pointing out that w/o the mystical aspect, the moral codes have no back-up) moral code.

Allow me to explain. You'd agree that the moral codes and ethics espoused by religion are done so because of some supernatural reason, correct? Basically, you have to do X because God says so. Now, if you were to take out the "because God says so" part, you'd be left with simply "You have to do X" without any justification. People would obviously never follow this message, as there is no reason given for them to.

HOWEVER, if one were to take that principal "You have to do X" and applied reason to it, changing it to "You have to do X because Y.", where Y is a purely reason and logic based argument with evidence to support it, you'd be able to convince people of that initial principal, assuming your evidence and supporting premises were sound.

See the difference?

[quote name='Brak']But I'm sure you'd nail any religion to the cross for wanting "non-believers" to see it their way, right? It's alright when you do it, though, because your belief system has no ties to a god, or higher power. That's what they call "free-thinking", right?[/quote]

Believers want someone to believe in something with no evidence or logic behind it. Non-believers want someone to think something because of the evidence and logic supporting it. They want people to accept a concept or idea because there's a justifiable reason for it. As I've implied before, there's a clear difference.

I may go after some of the other posts on page 2, but there's like a billion of them, and I don't feel like it right now. There's pumpkin pie in my fridge.

[FONT=&quot]Thanks the crotch and evanft.

Sorry I was still in Christian argueing mode (just came from fsm's website). I find arguments are best made from the perspective of the person you are trying to argue with. So My post is not exactly my true views, but they are a map. My mistake, i forget what forum i was in i guess. eh?

I have had to defend my views too much other places that it may seem 50/50. sorry for the confusion. That argument would be one i would give to someone that is sure of god ect... but tend to be nasty and tend to be not very considerate of other peoples views or beliefs. I would say that i am agnostic with a pinch of druid

I believe that it doesn’t matter if their is a god or not, but i guess i live in a way that if i were to die, i would be looked upon as a good person who tried to help others, and if their is a type god
[/FONT][FONT=&quot] being that judges, but if he judges on things that i don’t feel are important like alot of the nonmoral codes of Jewish, Christian, Hindu... ect... then i don’t think i would want to go to that prescribed eternity. If people like me are the ones that go to hell, who believe in philosophy over religion, well... then i guess that’s the place i would be happy in. If in fact thier is no after life, at least I try to give joy to the only life people will have. Really i see it as a win win situation.

I really dont know what happens after death, but if i let life after death consume me, then my life on earth will be for not, and if their is a existence after my mortal shell has been cast aside, i would want something to come of it. I wouldn’t mind living in Avalon after i die. or maybe a fairie/underhill.

I think my post might have made some confused if I was a puppy or a wolf. Fear not for me.

oh, crotch, I was meaning to say priests when i said pesters.

also address this, "
[/FONT] Why must one have faith? Why must one of them be right?"

I think that they are probably all right, or wrong together, with all these flavors, we have to remember is still icecream. Also i like my comma splice. its sexy, and comes in 3. and 3 is one of those numbers eh.

bread's done
Back