Something big heading to the VC?

Disc size is not an issue-- that's what compression is for.

I dunno...if MS could get the Xbox emulated on the 360, Nintendo might be able to get the DC going on the Wii, if they dedicated a large enough team.

Holy shit... what if they did get together with Treasure.. and it was Radiant Silvergun??! Yeah, I know.. wishful thinking. However, it's feasible. If I remember correctly, the game doesn't take up all that much space. I think the MAME file is only around 20 megs or so (don't quote me on it, I don't remember exactly.. and it still doesn't work on MAME). They could likely emulate the arcade version of the game.

I'd splooge if it were true.

A poster on GoNintendo made a good suggestion in postulating that perhaps they were going to release old point-and-click adventures on the Wii.

My other guesses are for multiplayer in VC games or, more likely, translated import games.

Maybe its..........t3h m3g4t0n!!1!11!11!1!!!11!!!1!!

WE12.jpg

Damned it, where's that new EGM.. I need to see what the Quarterman says about all this.

I agree with a previous post by Strell.. this is going to be the biggest letdown/ Nintendo induced case of blue balls on the planet. However, I get a kick out of the fact that this thread has produced enough ideas that Nintendo could literally take them and make millions off of the VC.

Somehow this started logically and sanely with everyone agreeing that this would be Earthbound.

Then, as usual, things got out of hand.

[quote name='J35U5']Let me get this through you peoples heads, WII CANNOT EMULATE THE SATURN!! For one the games average about 3-400megs a piece not to mention how complex the saturn was. The thing has like 3 processors and can only be emulated properly on really high end PCs.

Never gonna happen[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I'm the first to complain about how weak the Wii is, but I'm sure it can emulate the Saturn. The Saturn has a lot of processors but they're all slow by today's standards.

However, I also think this isn't going to happen, because it would take too much effort to do this. It's not worth it to Nintendo to work on emulating all of the Saturn's processors.

I think a lot of people are missing the boat on Earthbound.

I think Snatcher (Sega CD) would please may a retro nut who don't have the game and don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a copy.

[quote name='Drensch']I'm with earthbound, but what about Sin & Punishment?[/QUOTE]

Now that you mention it, I could see it being Sin & Punishment!

A while back, when Virtual Console was first announced, wasn't Sin & Punishment on a bunch of US release lists??

I managed to find a copy of the game here in Japan but I don't have an N64 here to play it on!! x(

[quote name='SMMM']Sam and Max.[/quote]

Were that were true.

And curse you for dangling that elusive carrot in front of me.

I'm not gonna make any guesses as to what it could be. That way I won't work myself into hype mode and then have my hopes shot down if the VC news is Bubsy.

[quote name='fenderhutz']Epor Epor Epor!!!!![/QUOTE]

epor epor epor....hmmm.....ah! Rope!

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood was mentioned on another forum. The guys on my QA team agree with that post, or Mother. One of those two. Something the retro community has clamored for for over a decade. Both would make sense.

For the love of god, you people guessing Super Mario RPG are stupid as hell.

[quote name='Tybee']Somehow this started logically and sanely with everyone agreeing that this would be Earthbound.

Then, as usual, things got out of hand.[/QUOTE]

I really don't understand WHY this would be referring to Earthbound. It came out here, it's Nintendo-owned, and has a cult following...I've pretty much assumed from the start that we'd be getting this.

[quote name='b3b0p']The source according to the link is GamesTM (http://www.gamestm.co.uk). Which appears to be a UK magazine. Not sure I would get too excited about anything yet, at least for North America.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you, I think it might be something that europe did not get. Why would a magazine in the UK post something like that for the gamers in north America?

(somewhat) likely candidates (mostly SNES-era RPGs that never made it here):

Bahamut Lagoon
Terranigma (sequel to Illusions of Gaia, which was the sequel to Soul Blazer)
Mother 1 and/or 3
Front Mission
Dragon Quest V or VI
Seiken Densetsu 3
Star Ocean
Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo
Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776

[quote name='redgopher']Castlevania: Rondo of Blood was mentioned on another forum. The guys on my QA team agree with that post, or Mother. One of those two. Something the retro community has clamored for for over a decade. Both would make sense.

For the love of god, you people guessing Super Mario RPG are stupid as hell.[/QUOTE]

If it is Rondo of Blood, then we'll surely find out, sooner than later, what the upper end of what Nintendo (or, rather, Hudson) thinks we're willing to shell out for VC titles. If it ever makes it to VC, it certainly won't be $6.

[quote name='mykevermin']If it is Rondo of Blood, then we'll surely find out, sooner than later, what the upper end of what Nintendo (or, rather, Hudson) thinks we're willing to shell out for VC titles. If it ever makes it to VC, it certainly won't be $6.[/quote]

I'd pay well over $6 to have a rare game like Rondo of Blood on the Wii.

[quote name='chodax']My guess is PONG![/QUOTE]

You could position the wiimote similar to the bar on the screen and just move you hand up and down. Wait a sec. Sounds like one of Strell's ideas. :razz:

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Hrm, that game looks very interesting. All star dev team too.[/quote]It's mindless fun. Never beat it though, the last level is tough in that NES, "Let's make this game impossible!" sort of way.

Update to the madness by the guy who wrote the blurb in the UK magazine originally:

December 6th, 2006
A couple days back we discussed a recent article in GamesTM that said a mystery VC title was coming out. Reader Mr.Hendo got in touch with me to give us some more info. He is a member of the GamesTM forum, and has a bit of info posted by GamesTM staff writer Ash.
Everybody seems to be grasping the wrong end of the stick, where that comment’s concerned. The mystery game in question isn’t actually a console game and wasn’t made in Japan. So everyone who’s guessing at Mario RPG or NiGHTS 2 is going to be disappointed.
You guys went nuts commenting on this story the other day, now with this bit of info, what are you changing your answers to?!​
Source: GoNintendo

So, it is concluded that it is a single game, which wasn't the impression I got initially. Also, it is a game that is not from Japan, and is not for a console. That leaves the PC and the arcade, if it is a port of another game.

My personal guess is still that it is a PC point-and-click adventure game, which were usually developed by American/European companies as far as I know.

Yeah, I'm changing my answer to a LucasArts adventure game, most likely Sam & Max. The evidence:

- The obvious: Sam & Max were never on a console (this would rule out the Monkey Island series) and were, of course, developed in the U.S., not Japan.

- Telltale Games, the makers of the latest Sam & Max games, have been in contact with Nintendo about bringing those games (or something else) to the Wii.

Source: http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/news/showfile.php?id=2132&category=telltale

- Sam & Max and other LucasArts adventure titles were/are huge in the U.K. (arguably more popular than they were in the U.S.), which is where this tip originates.

- Although the tip concerns just one game, it opens the door for a whole genre, which would explain the level of euphoria GamesTM attaches to the tip.

[quote name='supershammy']Update to the madness by the guy who wrote the blurb in the UK magazine originally:

So, it is concluded that it is a single game, which wasn't the impression I got initially. Also, it is a game that is not from Japan, and is not for a console. That leaves the PC and the arcade, if it is a port of another game.

My personal guess is still that it is a PC point-and-click adventure game, which were usually developed by American/European companies as far as I know.
[/QUOTE]
Let's hope you're right.

[quote name='supershammy']

[/QUOTE]

I'm already disappointed. One game on the VC is *not* worth massive hype. Now, if Nintendo sealed a deal with a company like Sierra to get all of their old point-n-click games updated and put on the VC with Wii-mote controls, that'd be worth hooting about.

update from gonintendo:

"A couple days back we discussed a recent article in GamesTM that said a mystery VC title was coming out. Reader Mr.Hendo got in touch with me to give us some more info. He is a member of the GamesTM forum, and has a bit of info posted by GamesTM staff writer Ash.
Everybody seems to be grasping the wrong end of the stick, where that comment’s concerned. The mystery game in question isn’t actually a console game and wasn’t made in Japan. So everyone who’s guessing at Mario RPG or NiGHTS 2 is going to be disappointed."

[quote name='hdtvrand']update from gonintendo:

"A couple days back we discussed a recent article in GamesTM that said a mystery VC title was coming out. Reader Mr.Hendo got in touch with me to give us some more info. He is a member of the GamesTM forum, and has a bit of info posted by GamesTM staff writer Ash.
Everybody seems to be grasping the wrong end of the stick, where that comment’s concerned. The mystery game in question isn’t actually a console game and wasn’t made in Japan. So everyone who’s guessing at Mario RPG or NiGHTS 2 is going to be disappointed."[/quote]

you're about 3 hours too late, click back a page.

An arcade game not made in Japan?

:whistle2:k

It's probably Pong. And since it's an arcade, they'll probably charge 2000 Wii points for it.

[quote name='hdtvrand']update from gonintendo:

Everybody seems to be grasping the wrong end of the stick, where that comment’s concerned. The mystery game in question isn’t actually a console game and wasn’t made in Japan. So everyone who’s guessing at Mario RPG or NiGHTS 2 is going to be disappointed."[/QUOTE]
Dude, this was already posted.

My moneys on handheld systems, say original GB (zelda links awakening) or game gear, or even neo geo pocket or something obscure like that.

[quote name='Scobie']I'm already disappointed. One game on the VC is *not* worth massive hype. Now, if Nintendo sealed a deal with a company like Sierra to get all of their old point-n-click games updated and put on the VC with Wii-mote controls, that'd be worth hooting about.[/QUOTE]

small sites like these seem to thrive on these "OMG MEGATON" announcements..they keep it going, milk the hype, then bam, lame announcement..

bread's done
Back