Sonic Adventure DreamCast - All three copies defective

postaboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
77 (100%)
Hello guys,

Last month, I purchased three sealed copies of Sonic Adventure from GoodWill and last night, I decided to open one to play and it did not boot up. I then opened another one, same thing, and then my last copy, same thing. All discs have no scratches in perfect condition. I also made sure that my Dreamcast still works by testing Skies of Arcadia which loaded up fine. So wasssup? It seems all three of my copies were defective. Is this common with SA? I cannot get my refund back goodwill because it has already passed the return date (7 days).

No, but it's common with Goodwill. They often get returns and known defective product from retailers as a tax write-off. I'm not aware of SA having any widespread issues (although other launch DC games did).

[quote name='mitch079']Any chance the games were resealed with CD-ROM copies instead of the actual GD-OM ones?[/QUOTE]

Easy way for him to tell if they're bootlegs is to see if there's a Sega logo on the bottom of the disc, somewhere near the inner ring of the disc. All real DC discs have that on them.

It's quite possible these were defective launch copies. IIRC, launch copies of Sonic Adventure shipped with no data produced on the discs.

They had data however you had to have a boot disc. I remember reading that the only people that could play them were reviewers because Sega sent them boot discs to use when reviewing games that were not put on GD ROMS yet.

I think these are cd-rom, but none of them won't boot at all. However, I went back to the same goodwill, talked to the store manager, and he gave me an unsealed copy (they still have 10+ of them in-stock with half of them still sealed) at no charge. I just tested it out and works fine. All of them were the one with the white label on the edge, not the black one. So I pretty much loss $12 :( , but I'mma see if I can test it out a friend's house to make sure it aint my dreamcast.

Thanks for the help

Okay, story time, folks.

Back when the Dreamcast launched, a few launch titles had issues when released. The GD-ROMs would not work on the Dreamcast in any way. Sonic Adventure was one of those games with defective issues. GameSpot reported this back in the day. People with defective copies had to exchange their games for a new one or send them in to Sega for a working copy.

So it's not due to being copies or anything of the sort. It's just factory slip-ups from back in 1999.

You could try selling the case and instructions from the defective copies to a games central or play n trade or something for some extra $ (so that they are not a total loss for you).

At least you have a working copy now. I bought SA back on launch day and never had an issue with it (other than not caring for the game itself).

bread's done
Back