Sonic Adventure...

CAGiversary!
December 1999.

I got a Dreamcast for Christmas, with House of the Dead 2, NFL Blitz 2000, and Ready 2 Rumble Boxing. Being a kid with extra Christmas money, obviously I wanted to go out and buy another game. So, of course, the obvious choice was Sonic Adventure.

I went to FuncoLand and bought a copy. When I got home, I popped it right in and it never went past the second screen. Since it was around Christmas and parents don't want to hear a kid complaining all night about a game, I got taken back to exchange it. I got home, popped the new copy in, and it got slightly further, but still froze. Unhappiness abounds.

The next I went back, and this time had the clerk open the game and test it out before I took it home. It seemed to work there, no problems, so I threw it in a bag and took it home. Considering that I'm still writing here, I'm sure you have already figured out that this copy also didn't work when I got it home.

This was baffling, and slightly upsetting. Three copies and none of them work? I tried one more time, only to once again be rebuffed by the cruel hadn of fate (or Sega, or something).

Four copies and I was done. I finally accepted it and got Soul Calibur instead, which was probably one of my better gaming decisions ever.

January 2008

My local used game store finally gets a copy of non-GH Sonic Adventure in. I promptly buy it and pop it in my Dreamcast. Now, this was not the same Dreamcast, but a replacement I had purchased six months earlier since my old one was dying slowly. OMG. The title screen comes up. Nine years later, I finally get to play Sonic Adventure. I go to start a new game, and choose Sonic. OMG. Loading Screen!

Hey.

This... uh... hey.

This has, um, been loading for a while now, huh?

A few more seconds.

Definitely.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE fuckING KIDDING ME.

It freezes in the same place, every time. Nine years later, and still I am rebuffed in my quest to play Sonic Adventure. I know I'm not even missing out on anything great, but now it's really just the principal of it, you know? Why does some cruel being want to prevent me from playing this game?

Anyway, sorry about this, I just had to write that story down somewhere, and I figured this was a fine place.

I guess my question in all of this is... people have played this game, this is a fact. As a result, I can surmise that there ARE working copies of this game out there. So... WHERE ARE THEY? :lol:

Sorry to hear that. I remember there being problems with launch copies of the game, but I bought my DC around launch with Sonic Adventure and had zero problems. Very weird that you would get four bad copies, but I guess they were all from the same store, which likely meant same shipment.

As for not missing anything great, I would actually argue that point. I find the original Sonic Adventure a very fun, though flawed game. The sequel is fun too, though also notably flawed.

Sounds sorta like my experience with the DC version of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1. Had to go through 3 copies until I found one that would work. My problem was even worse than your experience, I had 3 copies that wouldn't even get past the boot-up screen.

Both of our problems sounds like the system was having problems. Although that's the only game I've had problems with.

There are two working copies sitting in my DC shrine. I feel your pain though, I had to go through several copies when it first came out to get a working one.

bread's done
Back