Sonic and the Black Knight in Spring 09

KingBroly

CAGiversary!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327896

uh..........I need some therapy now.

From Lan_Zer0's post (#56):
Also, from NeoGaf:
SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (July 21, 2008) –SEGA of Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced Sonic™ and the Black Knight, an all-new Wii-exclusive adventure. Part of the storybook series of games that began with Sonic and the Secret Rings, this new title brings Sonic into the world of Arthurian legend and offers the worlds most infamous blue hedgehog the chance to become a knight. Using the unique Wii control system, this exciting game will take advantage of both the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk to offer an interactive experience that any Sonic fans will love.

Created by Sonic Team in Japan, this innovative game takes Sonic into a medieval world and arms him with a sword to aid in his effort to save the day. Sonic and the Black Knight will provide Sonic fans with an irresistible cast of characters and teach them all what it takes to be a true hero and the ultimate knight. With a series of missions taking place in stunning Arthurian-inspired locations, Sonic and the Black Knight promises to offer a fast-paced adventure that gamers of all ages will enjoy.

“After the success of Sonic and the Secret Rings we’re delighted to announce a second title in the Storybook Series,” said Gary Knight, European Marketing Director, SEGA Europe, “Following Sonic on his way to knighthood will excite players of all ages.”

Sonic and the Black Knight, exclusively for the Wii, will be out in Spring 2009.

And from Sega UK site:
Sonic returns to the Wii™ on a wild ride through a storybook world of Arthurian legend in his all-new adventure, Sonic and the Black Knight™. Designed exclusively for the Wii, Sonic and the Black Knight brings a new twist to Sonic gameplay by combining Sonic’s legendary speed with frenetic swordplay action that makes full use of the unique Wii control system.

In this strange, enchanted medieval world, Sonic wields a sword in his effort to save the day. Encountering many friends and foes along the way, Sonic shows them what it takes to be a true hero and the ultimate knight. Master the sword and unravel the mystery behind this intriguing adventure…

Check out the September issue of Nintendo Power for the full scoop on Sonic and the Black Knight!

Last edited by a moderator:
sonicsword.jpg

You can definitely count that the first chance the gaming media has, an interviewer will ask someone at Sega something to the effect of, "Why Sonic?"

Maybe they figure that they've introduced Sonic to a whole bunch of new people with M&S @ The Olympics having sold 10 million copies worldwide. To these people, there is no history or connection to the old Sonic games.

Thats the only way I can wrap my head around it.

If this was Mario, Zelda, etc I would be like oh fuck yes I love them. Since Sonic has been sucking ass lately, I am not interested in this game, unless Sega gets their head out of their ass and makes this awesome.

Wait, so this is the cover story that everybody was hoping would be Earthbound 3 or Kingdom Hearts III? It's Sword-Swinging Sonic? It's like something Kenner would come up with for a toy line. I'm dumbfounded by the lameness of this concept.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Oh a sword. Because giving Shadow some guns worked so well.[/quote]

You just spoiled the ending of this game! :bomb:

Eh, I'll wait for some actual scans before making a judgment. The title though makes it sound like it's related to Secret Rings

First a Sonic RPG, what's this a Hack and slash, a SRPG? I'm still supporting you SEGA even though I think I might reserve a grave spot for you next to Atari. (Alone in the Dark! IT BURNS)

[quote name='CouRageouS']Oh a sword. Because giving Shadow some guns worked so well.[/quote]

It worked well enough to make it a greatest hits on almost every console it was released on. I expect to see Dr. Eggman lose weight on the next game.

[quote name='Nibi'][sarcasm] [/sarcasm]

I hope.[/QUOTE]

Well yeah. There hasn't been a good game since Sonic left the Genesis. Even Rush, the closest thing to a good Sonic game, just wasn't there.

I will now bring some logic to this situation. Hold on to your seats folks. Apparently Sega couldn't secure any rights to Star Wars or DC Comic characters, so they decided to cross it over with this mega blockbuster
black_knight.jpg

New Pics found -
sbnbyellydl9.jpg

as long as it is this black knight i dont have a problem

HolyGrail017.jpg

or this

FGMrSaturdayKnight1.jpg

Wow... really? Sonic with a sword? Oh man, how ingenious.

I don't know who embarrasses themselves more these days... Nintendo or Sega.:whistle2:k

Despite the glitches, the sloppy game design, bosses that you can only hit twice every 2 minutes, load times, annoying secondary characters, busted camera, poor hit collision, and the fact that Blaze the cat was the most complete and stable character in the game, the 360/PS3 Sonic was decent in small bursts.

But this....I think I've reached my "limit" of the Sonic franchise and have had my fill of it.

Hmm, I been thinking that they could potentially make this 2D (like MM9 style with Wii graphics), and add in the swordplay like a spinning slash attack when you jump or something. Actually that would be pretty cool.

This is the new Sega though and every 2D sonic from the GBA ones to the DS ones have been lackluster to me (it's not like I am tired of 2D sonic because I recently had a chance to play Sonic CD for the first time and I loved it), so idk.

Chances are though it will be 3d, but hell if the can translate 2D Sonic greatness into 3D, I might be interested (I really did not like Sonic and the Secret Rings).

I'm interested in seeing what this looks/plays like. By now, I've given up hope in any Sonic game, recapturing the magic of the originals.

To me, this already looks better than Unleashed. And with Dimps happily working on Unleashed, there's a chance this game might exceed mediocrity.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']I'm interested in seeing what this looks/plays like. By now, I've given up hope in any Sonic game, recapturing the magic of the originals.[/quote]

Right here. I don't really know much about Sonic except what I played on the Genesis back in the day and then again on the PSP Genesis collections. If this games plays well (3rd person camera with Wii Remote sword-swingin plz thx) I could give a rat's ass whether Sonic is the main character or not.

[quote name='Vinny']Wow... really? Sonic with a sword? Oh man, how ingenious.

I don't know who embarrasses themselves more these days... Nintendo or Sega.:whistle2:k[/quote]

How can you say Nintendo is embarassing themselves when they have all the money?

Sonic Team has realised ripping mario of was a bad idea, so they moved on to another nintendo franchise. Lets observe, shall we?

Sonic Unleashed gimmick = wolf transformation

Sonic & the Black Knight gimmick = sword

sword + wolf transformation = zelda features

Considering nobody knows how the game actually plays, all this premature whining seems silly IMO.

I'm hoping that this is a sequel to Sonic and the Secret Rings, which I thought was a good game that could've been great with a little more refinement. If it is, it's bound to be better than Sonic Unleashed, anyway...

--R.J.

I'll begin to care about Sonic again when they go back to Mobius. Seriously, real world Sonic and real world story Sonic really sucks.

I go out of town and I come back to this shit?

Last time I went on vacation, Diablo 3 got announced.

I'm about to go on vacation again here in a few days. I full well expect the various hordes of hell to be unleashed upon the lands of man.

Edit: Lmfao@nibi's sarcasm comment.

Eh, I'd rather they just stop it. It's not like they can advance past what Sonic Cd did without changing things up to the point where it's just not the same... it's not like Mega Man where you can have crazy platforming segments and unique bosses... it's just running from left to right with minimal platforming. Don't get me wrong - I love the Genesis Sonic games, but I don't think they can do much with them now.

Ugh, Sega seriously should stop making this series. There hasn't been a decent Sonic game in close to a decade now and this isn't helping. I think what's even a greater disappointment is the werewolf garbage in the Sonic Unleased trailer because it was looking great and then I saw melee combat and him moving crap around to open doors.

The more they sell, themore they'll make. Common sense, right?

I dunno, Unleashed is looking good, the Secret Rings was decent, and hell, this isn't anymore ridicuious than any concept presented in Galaxy...so I'm game.

[quote name='Man of Ice']Ugh, Sega seriously should stop making this series. There hasn't been a decent Sonic game in close to a decade now and this isn't helping.[/QUOTE]
High sales of Mario & Sonic in the Olympic Games means he won't be going away for a while. As much as we might like him to.

[quote name='Man of Ice']Ugh, Sega seriously should stop making this series. There hasn't been a decent Sonic game in close to a decade now and this isn't helping. I think what's even a greater disappointment is the werewolf garbage in the Sonic Unleased trailer because it was looking great and then I saw melee combat and him moving crap around to open doors.[/QUOTE]

um sonic rush?

I really think the only thing that could save Sega and it's primary IP is for a red egg-shaped time machine to go back to the 90's... and bring back with them the true original Team Andromeda and Sonic Team. Then, go back in time again, throw a DVD drive into the Dreamcast prototype, obliterate Peter Moore before he can destroy the thing, and return to an alternate universe where Sony is bankrupt and Microsoft is forced into a business model of only the development and sale of operating systems (which may be beneficial, as it might prevent Vista from being born).

Then, everyone will be happy and we can live in an era free of red rings of shits and buggy PS2 drive lenses. By then, there may have actually been a life to the Chakan sequel on the Dreamcast, and a North American release of Radiant Silvergun.

[quote name='Vadermeister']Usually Nintendo, even without quality control, would make sure a game looks promising before putting it to front cover, but I still have no idea what to say about this.[/QUOTE]

I think Nintendo itself is reaching at this point. I wouldn't say their library is hurting as bad as the PS3's, but the ratio to quality games vs. real stinkers is up there. From a first party perspective, Nintendo has possibly thrown most of its existing IP's into the market already. The number of good third party games is pretty low. Same thing on the DS, there are some excellent games on the thing, sure.. but look at the sheer amount of licensed garbage exists in a number of games.

The 360 has some craptacular games as well, but has a much larger existing library of great games to play.

As for Nintendo Power itself, I'm surprised people still buy the thing. It's a marketing device for Nintendo, and the mainstream gaming media (if there is such a thing) delivers news and reviews quicker than the Nintendo Power subsidiary. I mean, I imagine it would be better if Nintendo Power became more of a magazine re-reviewing VC releases and satiric reviews of all the crappy licensed games that comes out on the platforms.

Sega, let's face it... the last good (and arguably the best game they've made in a while) game they published was the Sega Genesis Collection rehash. The only reason they're in business right now is mainly from revenue from digital content delivery (VC, Live, etc) and remakes. Hell, their great games last generation weren't commercially successful (Otogi and Panzer Orta come to mind). They support their shittiest games with marketing, and put forth 0 marketing effort on their good games. Time to switch things up a bit if you ask me. It's funny that the asstacular Martin Lawrence movie came to mind for so many people the first time they saw that cover (as I did as well).

On a side note, Chrono Trigger DS is listed on the cover. I can't remember that far back, but as I recall... Nintendo Power didn't give it more than a page when it came out on the SNES. I believe the EGM review of it way back when is what got me so pumped about the game, and I ran out and bought it with saved tips from bagging groceries :)

[quote name='Skylander7']
but as I recall... Nintendo Power didn't give it more than a page when it came out on the SNES. [/QUOTE]

This has to be wrong. And I could probably prove it, but it would require me digging out magazines, and frankly I don't have the time.

Just sayin'.

bread's done
Back