Sonic and the Secret Rings Impressions

Was just reading up on this. I need to stop reading about hyped games. Too many are getting good buzz, but luckily this isn't a launch title.

Not so sure, the 360 demo version was hard to control. When moving really fast there has to be good control. The Sonics did look pretty cool though, just hope they control well in the final version.

What I want is a sidescroller but the character models are 3D, kinda like the Megaman X remake. I think that would fit Sonic better.

However, I did kinda like the Sonic Adventure games, so maybe they can make this one good since it looks like a Sonic Adventure type with rails instead of exploration. Which is a great thing.

Don't worry, the 360 and Playstation 3 version is a completly different game. If this is actually good, IMO with the exception of Sonic Advance 1, it would be the first good Sonic game since the Genesis/SegaCD.

I don't know why, but I still love the character, and still want a great Sonic game. There were MOMENTS in Sonic Adventure that were great, but... And then Sonic Adventure 2 and Heroes were even worse, rather than fixing things.

Ah, sorry about that, thinking they were the same. I never really spent much time with that demo because I could not control him very well. I noticed the wording where it said that the game was better than the other consoles but was not sure why it would be. I did not watch the vid, because I'm at work. I have not played a 3d Sonic game since SA2 so I would not know about those Shadow games or the Heroes game, but I'll give this one a shot.

Anyway, it looks cool.

I always liked Knuckles and Tails in the older games. These other characters(like that Kat thing from Sonic DS) are just not as cool. That damn Big the Cat was retarted in SA1, he was the only reason I did not get Super Sonic on Sonic Adventure because I could not force myself to finish his levels.
That other Hedgehog guy(called Quicksilver on that link) looks decent enough, but I bet he's no Knuckles or Tails. I do like Shadow though.

I'll have to actually try the game before I buy though. This game does sound really neat though, makes me think they should have made the other consoles should have done the same with the rails. Hopefully they don't fuck this up.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']This looks like exactly what a 3d incarnation of Sonic should be.[/quote]

Exactly what I've been thinking since the write-ups and videos of this game started being seen online. This is the return to what Sonic was all about - linear, fast paced, lots of fun, lots of action, and very few distractions. Sonic has strayed away from that for too long, and it looks like we're finally getting what we should have gotten a long time ago...old-school Sonic given a 2007 makeover. Can't wait.

I remember people being excited about Heroes for some of the same reasons, though I'll admit this one seems to be beyond that.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I remember people being excited about Heroes for some of the same reasons, though I'll admit this one seems to be beyond that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was excited about Heroes-and it sure LOOKED good on the Gamecube, but it had the same old problems.

Even the 2D ones have stunk recently IMO. Sonic Rush-looks and sounds great, gameplay is way too frustrating.

And then they "relaunch" the franchise with the Playstation 3/360 version...and it has the same problems (and horrible characters) AGAIN!?!

So I really hope this one is good. If it is, *IT* should just be called Sonic the Hedgehog, and the PS3 one should have the subtitle.

Regarding the characters, I've liked some of them. Tails is adorable, and kind of fun as a sidekick. Knuckles is okay. I liked (Rose? Amy?) from her brief stint in SonicCD. And Metal Sonic in SonicCD is fine, and actually makes sense as a "character". But everyone since then is just irritating IMO.

I played the 360 demo and that version really blows, so I hope this on-rails one is better. I've always been a big sonic fan, there needs to be a good new one.

[quote name='Puppy']If this is actually good, IMO with the exception of Sonic Advance 1, it would be the first good Sonic game since the Genesis/SegaCD.[/quote]

Did you play Sonic Rush on the DS? Fantastic, can for hold up compared to the Genesis games.

[quote name='daroga']Did you play Sonic Rush on the DS? Fantastic, can for hold up compared to the Genesis games.[/quote]
I found Rush to be a great game, but its more like the Advance series done right, then a Genesis Sonic for the DS.

Personally, I liked Heroes alot relative to the 3d-fan-favorite, SA2. Only 1/3 of SA2 was any good. Heroes, in my opinion, did the best job of bringing together speed and exploration. Still buggy though.

But man, I don't think any platforming experience can compare to S3&k. To me, that is the pinnacle of classic 2d platforming.

I really hope that it's come a way from the E3 build. The video made it look absolutely horrible. I just hope that this comes together to be somewhat playable and Sonic Team pours all of their efforts into making Sonic Rush 2 exactly like the original only with twice the length and maybe some co-op single cart multiplayer.

[quote name='furyk']I really hope that it's come a way from the E3 build. The video made it look absolutely horrible. I just hope that this comes together to be somewhat playable and Sonic Team pours all of their efforts into making Sonic Rush 2 exactly like the original only with twice the length and maybe some co-op single cart multiplayer.[/quote]

Did Dimps or Sonic Team develop Rush? I'm still confused on that.

I felt Sonic's jumping physics were a bit off Rush in comparison to the old ones. Also, if I could see more lush backgrounds in Rush 2, I'd be a happy camper.

I love the Jet Set style music. I do miss the more thematic tunes, but this is a great direction too.

[quote name='daroga']Did you play Sonic Rush on the DS? Fantastic, can for hold up compared to the Genesis games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I really hated Rush. Graphics and music were great, and I got a great initial impression (just like Heroes), but then it gets WAAAAAAAAAAY too irritating for me. Too many blind jumps, spots you can die, etc.

Every single time I hear about this game and an impression is given it is positive. I'm thinking this is a good thing. Looks like I might be picking this one up. I also find it interesting that people are saying the 360 and PS3 game aren't all that great. Hmmm....gameplay over graphics? Who would have thought?

[quote name='jkam']Every single time I hear about this game and an impression is given it is positive. I'm thinking this is a good thing. Looks like I might be picking this one up. I also find it interesting that people are saying the 360 and PS3 game aren't all that great. Hmmm....gameplay over graphics? Who would have thought?[/quote]
Head over to IGN or some place and watch a video of the game being played. Even without touching a controller, you cna just feel that everything that was wrong with the previous 3D Sonic games control-wise is alive and well in the Next-Gen version, and probably 5x worse. Ugh.

[quote name='daroga']Head over to IGN or some place and watch a video of the game being played. Even without touching a controller, you cna just feel that everything that was wrong with the previous 3D Sonic games control-wise is alive and well in the Next-Gen version, and probably 5x worse. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Sonic PS360 looks like it has no sense of speed at all and way too much platforming. At least Secret Rings looks like it might just be a blazingly fast game once you get used to the controls.

bread's done
Back