Sonic and The Secret Rings preview...

http://wii.ign.com/articles/747/747790p3.html

Only one page, with a new screenshot. Won't take too long to read, and it's worth it.

I cannot wait to play this. Looks like this one will at least be better than the 360/PS3 Sonic titles.

Personally, this is by far the Sonic game I've been waiting for - a game about speed, reflexes, nice graphics, and a creative method of taking Sonic into the 3D realm that stays true to what made the original Sonic titles so great (to me, at least).

I wish this were a launch title!

yeah this is the first sonic game in a while that should actually be back to what sonic is all about. blazing speed and fun. I cant wait. Whens it supposed to come out again?

It IS shaping up to be pretty great. I played it at Nintendo World 2006 in Nagoya about a month ago and it was lots of fun.

You hold the Wiimote sideways and steer Sonic similar to how Excitetruck works. IIRC, you had to press or hold "2" to jump, and then shake the Wiimote downwards to attack enemies. There were also some elements where you had to shake the Wiimote constantly to raise a floating barrel or something like that.

The stage I played was great fun (a dinosaur themed level), but I watched a VERY young kid play through a desert stage and he kept getting stuck at this one part where you're supposed to run into a catapult and have it launch you to the next area but he'd ALWAYS jump over it and the game would glitch up. So the cute gal manning the game would call over her supervisor, have him reset the game, and let the kid start over from the beginning. He did it THREE TIMES before the supervisor finally played the level up to that point himself and let the kid take over once he got past the glitchy part.

Again, this isn't much to worry about considering the game isn't due til March.

But it should turn out pretty great I think!!

That sounds like fun, thanks for that post Gameboy415.

Yeah, sounds like one of those glitches that will definitely be ironed out in due time.

The fact that this game focuses on the exact aspects of Sonic that made the game so enjoyable to me without the filler that I never much cared for (I never cared to explore in Sonic games: I just wanted the speed, the anxiety that you feel from how much you have to focus on timing, the hot graphics, the platforming action...save exploration and secret hunting for the Marios and Zeldas of the world, IMHO) - this might end up being my favorite in the entire franchise, assuming the controls are as responsive and glitch-free as most Wii games have been thus far.

While I also liked Sonic Adventure, I think this could actually not suck. It's like 2D sonic with a 3D perspective, and that doesn't sound too bad to me.

This kind of looks like that Sonic arcade game from a long time ago that was in a pseudo-3D isometric perspective. I remember seeing pictures of it in EGM, but I don't know if it actually came out or not.

The "press-and-hold" jump mechanism sounds clumsy and would seem to take away from the twitch-aspect of Sonic. But, this sounds like the best Sonic Game since Sonic Rush, and then Sonic & Knuckles before it. I'm looking forward to it!

[quote name='coolz481']This kind of looks like that Sonic arcade game from a long time ago that was in a pseudo-3D isometric perspective. I remember seeing pictures of it in EGM, but I don't know if it actually came out or not.[/QUOTE]

The game did come out, but I for one was never able to find it at any arcades. :(
You can check out all 5 stages from the game on Youtube here:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=SEGASonic+The+hedgehog&search=Search

Plus that game was isometric (like Sonic 3D Blast/Sonic Labyrinth) but it apparently used a trackball to control your characters (Sonic, Mighty the Armadillo, or Ray the Squirrel). I still can't believe SEGA didn't put this and Knuckles Chaotix on the Sonic Gems Collection......*sigh*

Anywho, the jumping mechanic in the Wii game worked pretty well I thought. It definitely takes some getting used to, but after doing it 4-5 times you're good to go.

There were also some side-scrolling parts where you have to slide along a wall and avoid spikes too. I didn't play that stage, but it looked pretty fun from watching the other people in front of me play it.

might be alright. I mean look at the Genesis sonic, all we did was hold one button as well xD. The graphics also look great...are you sure those aren't 360 graphics? If they're Wii graphics... I guess I was right then about cartoony games really not having much of a difference graphics-wise between the systems.

Oh ya and I think there was a grammatical error in that review:

"Sega have wisely adjusted their stance on the series for their Wii entry"

Think it should be "has" instead of "have"

bread's done
Back