Sonic cd on IOS/android $1.99 sale!

ddp72984

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Yeah, I'm sure they're mixed in the iOS and android threads, but this needs to stand out. Perhaps the best sonic ever comes to mobile devices, and at a discount too! NeoGAF claimed these versions were suppose to be $5 a piece, but right now, they're listed at only $2! Get them while they last!

virtual buttons= worth zero money or time.

play it on a system that has controls. $5 for the XBLA version vs $2 for the version that feels like playing a genesis with only your elbows is not a hard decision.

Well, I wouldn't say the touch screens feel as bad as playing with elbows, but yeah... give me buttons. $2 is a pretty good price for the game regardless of platform, though.

[quote name='jer7583']virtual buttons= worth zero money or time.

play it on a system that has controls. $5 for the XBLA version vs $2 for the version that feels like playing a genesis with only your elbows is not a hard decision.[/QUOTE]

It's called using a bluetooth controller such as a Dualshock 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
i forgot to mention that you have to cover the left and right 1/4ths of the screen with your hands while you use your elbows for the d-pad and buttons to get that true smartphone gaming experience.

play it on a system that has controls. $5 for the XBLA version vs $2 for the version that feels like playing a genesis with only your elbows is not a hard decision.[/QUOTE]

1. Check the review friend. They're saying its one of the best experiences yet.

2. For an Xperia Play owner like myself, we can do touch or slide down the psp like controls, making sonic cd oh so sweet!

[quote name='jer7583']And that applies to this app how?

Also, illegal. Not a factor.[/QUOTE]

You can use a bluetooth controller to play it I believe.

Just go play it on another console and let people that want to play it on Android play it on Android. It's not like it'll effect you.

I would remove the video if I were you. I've had posts deleted for discussing emulation on psp here before. It's not an allowed topic on cag.

Also, why would I want to use a bluetooth controller on a phone? why not just play it on a not-phone?

[quote name='jer7583']I would remove the video if I were you. I've had posts deleted for discussing emulation on psp here before. It's not an allowed topic on cag.

Also, why would I want to use a bluetooth controller on a phone? why not just play it on a not-phone?[/QUOTE]

So play it on an ipod touch?

nah, i'll just play it on a game device.

phones and overpriced phone like devices do a lot of things nice, but games aren't one of them. There's a reason everything sells for $1 or so. The experience is less, the price is less.

[quote name='aem']Works great on Xperia Play :)[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear. Downloading now, but it's so slow? Does the wifi kinda suck on your play?

[quote name='jer7583']nah, i'll just play it on a game device.

phones and overpriced phone like devices do a lot of things nice, but games aren't one of them. There's a reason everything sells for $1 or so. The experience is less, the price is less.[/QUOTE]

Or how about take your worthless and shitty opinion on mobile gaming out of mobile gaming threads. No wonder you were perma-banned from neogaf, hopefully here is next so we can be done with your stupidity.

[quote name='ddp72984']Glad to hear. Downloading now, but it's so slow? Does the wifi kinda suck on your play?[/QUOTE]

I think it did download a little slow, but it wasn't too bad. Wifi seems fast enough on my play although the signal strength could be better. It seems to drop off quickly when I start moving away from my router.

Game is incredible on the iPad 2 ... this port raises the bar. Literally the best sonic experience I've had since playing the original sonic that came with my genesis back in the day.

Lemme just hook up my xbox into my car so I can play when I'm waiting to start with my next client derp.

Downloaded on Thunderbolt, says it has 270 MB of information to download, it hasn't moved at all. Download at your own risk.

[quote name='jer7583']nah, i'll just play it on a game device.

phones and overpriced phone like devices do a lot of things nice, but games aren't one of them. There's a reason everything sells for $1 or so. The experience is less, the price is less.[/QUOTE]Not necessarily.

Plants vs. Zombies, for example, unless I am missing something, is virtually the same game on the Kindle Fire as the PSN version, with superior controls, at a fraction of the price.

[quote name='Scottv007']Downloaded on Thunderbolt, says it has 270 MB of information to download, it hasn't moved at all. Download at your own risk.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it made it through 5 of 8 downloads for me before it stalled and crashed. Then it restarted at 1 again. I'll just deal with it later.

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']Anyone know if this'll work on 3GS? Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Yes, well it should, it works fine on my first gen. iPod touch (3.1.3).

[quote name='token2k6']This reminds me that GTA 3 came out just today I think for Android. Gonna get both! Thanks OP!![/QUOTE]
It's out for iOS too and is awesome on the iPad, this one requires iOS 4.2.

[quote name='ddp72984']iOS

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sega.soniccd[/QUOTE]

358uofb.jpg

The game plays surprisingly well on my iPad 2. No, the controls aren't perfect, but they work quite well anyway. I definitely recommend it. Now somebody explain the Future/Past bit to me because I don't get it. :) You hit a sign that says one or the other and it spins, but nothing happens. Then later, out of the blue, you jump to one or the other. What triggers it?

[quote name='crunchewy']You hit a sign that says one or the other and it spins, but nothing happens. Then later, out of the blue, you jump to one or the other. What triggers it?[/QUOTE]

Hit a sign and go really fast. You'll see a spark trail follow you. Keep it up for five seconds or so and you go back/forward.

All I wish is that there was a decent smartphone that had gaming controls on it. That xperia play was not the answer. Google or Apple or Microsoft need to come up with some kind of solution that would actually be supported by the majority of their marketplace.

Some games do work pretty well as touch only, but sonic CD was not designed with that control type in mind. I enjoyed fruit ninja on my phone, but that wasn't a traditional 2d platformer.

Apple's stubborn disregard for traditional controls is simply insane. They're leaving huge amounts of money on the table by not supporting the option for those controls. Anyway, i'm sure it's fine if you can get over the controls. Does android have demos?

hrmm,.. downloaded on my galaxy s and it won't download the data at all. tried on wifi and 3g.. won't budge.

i wonder if they didnt anticipate demand on their servers or something

[quote name='jer7583']All I wish is that there was a decent smartphone that had gaming controls on it. That xperia play was not the answer. Google or Apple or Microsoft need to come up with some kind of solution that would actually be supported by the majority of their marketplace.

Apple's stubborn disregard for traditional controls is simply insane. They're leaving huge amounts of money on the table by not supporting the option for those controls. Anyway, i'm sure it's fine if you can get over the controls. Does android have demos?[/QUOTE]

Android 3.2 introduced native USB gamepad support, so newer phones with Ice Cream Sandwich will only need to have USB input to support "proper" controls.

..or you can always use a bluetooth controller assuming the game at least supports physical keyboard controls

I'm going to preface this with saying that it's awesome that this came to iOS and Andoid devices.

That being said, could someone please explain why anyone would choose to carry around a USB controller instead of DS/PSP/3DS/Vita? Games on smartphones can be great, but the idea of lugging around a controller, USB or Bluetooth, seems mildly hilarious to me. The idea behind games being on your phone is that it enables you to have both a phone and a gaming device without carrying around two objects. Add a controller into it, and suddenly that entire concept goes out the window.

I get that it's nifty that it's possible to use a controller with your phone. I just don't see how it makes any sense in day-to-day life. Could someone who carries around a phone controller clarify why they chose that over a dedicated portable gaming console?

[quote name='Trastan']I'm going to preface this with saying that it's awesome that this came to iOS and Andoid devices.

That being said, could someone please explain why anyone would choose to carry around a USB controller instead of DS/PSP/3DS/Vita? Games on smartphones can be great, but the idea of lugging around a controller, USB or Bluetooth, seems mildly hilarious to me. The idea behind games being on your phone is that it enables you to have both a phone and a gaming device without carrying around two objects. Add a controller into it, and suddenly that entire concept goes out the window.

I get that it's nifty that it's possible to use a controller with your phone. I just don't see how it makes any sense in day-to-day life. Could someone who carries around a phone controller clarify why they chose that over a dedicated portable gaming console?[/QUOTE]

I think it's great to have both choices.

I can carry just my phone and have plenty of entertainment in my pocket, and not HAVE to carry a dedicated portable(ironically, i mainly play my ds/3ds/psp at home).

And if there are times where I know I'm gonna be gaming for a while - for example, keeping my fiancee company at her office if she needs to work a few hours on a saturday, I can easily pack my tablet and a wiimote into a bag and have a comfortable leanback game experience while i wait.

tldr: having a choice is always better than not having a choice

[quote name='jer7583']All I wish is that there was a decent smartphone that had gaming controls on it. That xperia play was not the answer. Google or Apple or Microsoft need to come up with some kind of solution that would actually be supported by the majority of their marketplace.

Some games do work pretty well as touch only, but sonic CD was not designed with that control type in mind. I enjoyed fruit ninja on my phone, but that wasn't a traditional 2d platformer.

Apple's stubborn disregard for traditional controls is simply insane. They're leaving huge amounts of money on the table by not supporting the option for those controls. Anyway, i'm sure it's fine if you can get over the controls. Does android have demos?[/QUOTE]

I know you find comfort in your smug "I'm too hardcore to play on touch controls", "that's not a gaming device" attitude/nonsense, but this is not a sloppy port to iOS. The game is a complete from-scratch emulation engine by Christian Whitehead, who got Sonic CD running at 60 frames per second on iOS:
http://toucharcade.com/2011/12/14/sonic-cd-review/

[quote name='jer7583']All I wish is that there was a decent smartphone that had gaming controls on it. That xperia play was not the answer.[/QUOTE]

I have been very happy with my Xperia Play. The only MAJOR issue with it is lack of internal storage. That is a constant annoyance for sure, but other than that I really like it. There is a large number of games with Xperia Play support and the controls work great with several emulators.

I doubt anyone is going to make a "smartphone" that is any better for gaming. Our best hope is that Sony or Microsoft make a portable game system that can be used as a phone.

[quote name='smoger']I think it's great to have both choices.

I can carry just my phone and have plenty of entertainment in my pocket, and not HAVE to carry a dedicated portable(ironically, i mainly play my ds/3ds/psp at home).

And if there are times where I know I'm gonna be gaming for a while - for example, keeping my fiancee company at her office if she needs to work a few hours on a saturday, I can easily pack my tablet and a wiimote into a bag and have a comfortable leanback game experience while i wait.

tldr: having a choice is always better than not having a choice[/QUOTE]

Cool - that actually sounds like something I might like to try myself.

I can certainly see it working for a tablet, since it's already a fairly large device. What I don't understand is the logic of using a controller with your phone. That idea still seems a bit silly to me.

Well, I bought it. After the opening animation the screen goes black even though everything else is running.... time for a patch! Also I'm not recognizing this music at all... it's clearly not the US soundtrack and although it's been a while since I played it I'm pretty sure it's not the JP soundtrack, is it new music? That's kinda disappointing since Sonic CD has one of my favorite game soundtracks of all time.

[quote name='iamsmart']Well, I bought it. After the opening animation the screen goes black even though everything else is running.... time for a patch! Also I'm not recognizing this music at all... it's clearly not the US soundtrack and although it's been a while since I played it I'm pretty sure it's not the JP soundtrack, is it new music? That's kinda disappointing since Sonic CD has one of my favorite game soundtracks of all time.[/QUOTE]

It's the Japanese soundtrack by default, but in the options you can switch to the US soundtrack. :)

To those concerned with touch controls, this supports the keyboard (if you have one) 2 was jump, and the arrow keys was the dpad for me. There's also controls for movement mapped to the letter keys on the left-- I assume there's another button for jump on the right.

But yeah this is a fantastic port. Playable Tails, both soundtracks, 60FPS (assuming your phone allows for it, mine does =D) and only 1.99. Really an awesome deal for an awesome game.

Each version has its market. People on the go will prefer mobile devices versions, and the purists will prefer console version. I'm the latter and purchased the 360 version, but still see this is a good on the go game for casual gamers.

bread's done
Back