Sonic Chronicles 2 is dead in the water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diosoth

CAGiversary!
Sonic Chronicles... Bioware's big failure into licensing the franchise. It suffered from a brainless plot that was taken almost wholesale from Twilight Princess. Boring gameplay. Dialog that was so bad, a retarded monkey could have done a better job. More characters than were needed, considering almost all of them were written as unlikeable stereotypes. Given how the female cast acts, I'd doubt many of Bioware's employees have actually met a real woman. Garbage sound quality, nothing new to gaming, in general, an overhyped waste.

Rather typical of Bioware's game production method. Sure, their Star Wars games sell but SW geeks buy any licensed merchandise in droves regardless of quality. How else could episode 1 succeed? And Mass Effect... a long, boring interactive movie with no substance, overhyped by false media fears of sex content. You'd think gamers would be wary when Jack Thompson claims to LIKE it, but... well, ME was crap that people are afraid to trash. But SC failed miserably. Bioware learned that they can't just release any piece of crap to market and sell it on their reputation. They promised a fine steak but delivered dog poop on a bun.

I have played the game for about 10 minutes and decided I would neve rplay it again, and that whoever wrote the dialog should be beaten severely. It's the written equivalent of listening to power tools scrape against a chankboard.

It has also bombed miserably in Japan with very poor sales numbers. Japan rejected the game.

Furthermore, it also seems that EA is unwilling to fund a sequel, even though the game ended on a (very, very dumb) cliffhanger. I can't blame them. Spending money to make a sequel for a game which bombed isn't a good idea.

Look on the bright side, though. The game was never considered canon with anything Sega makes. Officially, it never happened. It, like Mario & Sonic, is a licensed side-story which has no impact on "canon", even as loose as it may be right now. The fact it failed is irrelevant. It was a loose story follow-up to events in Sonic Battle, which itself isn't even canon with the main titles.

What were the NPD sell-through numbers for Sonic Chronicles? (TRU near me had tons of these games and sold through all of them.) Oh, and just curious if there's a source for this so that I can see exactly what was said. While the first game could have been better, that's what sequels are for (when done right).

[quote name='Diosoth']Look on the bright side, though. The game was never considered canon with anything Sega makes. Officially, it never happened. It, like Mario & Sonic, is a licensed side-story which has no impact on "canon", even as loose as it may be right now. The fact it failed is irrelevant. It was a loose story follow-up to events in Sonic Battle, which itself isn't even canon with the main titles.[/QUOTE]

Not that I want to really get into an argument about the officialness or canon of the sonic series (since , much like the mario series and many others , is ambiguous at best) how is Sonic Battle not canon to the main series when it links up with the Sonic Advance series (3 to be exact). I can understand that Chronicles might use the story of Battle as a jump off point , and that Sega can choose to ignore Chronicles as ever happening , but are you saying that Sonic Battle and the Sonic Advance series "didn't really happen" as well?

[quote name='Poor2More']sounds like a typical GameFaqs post to be honest[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't say that since CAG is no better. GFaqs actually mods people for doing stupid shit. Both are pretty much horrible for discussion.

[quote name='DAWG26']Sonic Canon? :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

I had a chuckle too.

I have Sonic Chronicles and haven't played too much of it, but what I have played I've enjoyed.

I don't know what Bioware did to the OP, I'm sure most would agree they produce some of the most consistently good games of just about any developer.

And I think you're probably in the minority on Mass Effect.

I can't get into Mass Effect. There were quite a few others in that thread about forcing yourself to play a game that mentioned Mass Effect too.

As far as this game goes, I never played more than a quick few minutes of it. I didn't see anything noticeably bad in what I played (a friend's copy), but I also didn't see much dialog or anything.

[quote name='bvharris']I had a chuckle too.

I have Sonic Chronicles and haven't played too much of it, but what I have played I've enjoyed.

I don't know what Bioware did to the OP, I'm sure most would agree they produce some of the most consistently good games of just about any developer.

And I think you're probably in the minority on Mass Effect.[/QUOTE]

I have the game too, and I am not too sure exactly what game the op was playing, but it was not as bad as his description of the game is. I've played some bad DS games, I even own a lot of them, and I can tell you that Sonic Chronicles is not nearly as bad as the op is making it sound. It is a little bland, and it could have used some better character development, but the game play itself was not awful, and it had an okay enough plot to keep me at least somewhat interested. Given I have never actually played it the whole way through, from what I have played, its not terrible. But obviously not worth a sequel which is why there won't be one.

[quote name='soonersfan60']I'd still like to see a link to the "official" announcement that there won't be a sequel...[/QUOTE]

It's one thing to hate a game but it's another to hate a game and then post said opinion as if it's a confirmation of the end to a series.

Considering how this is the best Sonic game in a long, long time, the bile in the OP's post is just ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back