Sonic Rush - FANTASTIC!

jlkeeton

CAGiversary!
I forgot how much I really enjoyed the Genesis Sonic games - the Dreamcast disillusioned me with the 3-D Sonic stuff that just wasn't quite as good. Well, SR on the DS has Sonic back with a vengeance. Not to say Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 weren't good games, but playing this just brings me back to the days when I would sit and play games all day. Between MK-DS, SR, Civ 4 and GTA:LCS, I'm getting VERY LITTLE sleep.

If anyone is doubting the 2-screen vertical play, it works so much better when you are using it than by watching videos and such. There is a little bit of getting used to the gap between the screens, but it is just something that becomes second nature. The game is definitely worth picking up. I saw where it debuted at a lowly #50 on the Japanese sales charts, so I wanted to just chime in and put in a good word for a game that might get lost in the shuffle of all the great DS games coming out within about a 1-month period!

I'm so looking forward to getting this, I love the sonic side scrolling stuff, but I definately do not want to pay $40 for it.

//edit: WTF, it's $35 everywhere, but $40 at my Rhino

this game is great. If you have ever liked sonic games, don't hesitate to get it. All of the handheld sonics have been awesome. I liked Sonic Advance 2 the best before this, but Sonic Rush Rivals even Sonic 2 (genesis) in its greatness.

Its 7 stages long, with 2 acts each. You then have a final boss battle, and an extra level once you've collected all the emeralds with both Sonic (win mini-stages) and Blaze (beat each level). Sonic and Blaze play the same levels, out of order, and sometimes with different starting points)

It took me a couple of days of on and off playing to get both characters to the last boss...whom ive not beaten yet. There are multiple paths through each stage with either character.

Some bosses are recycled, but add enough each time to make it feel different (there's classic Sonic for ya). All boss stages are done in 3d objects, and will either have you on a wide platform or running in a circle.

The game is very colorful and the themes are quite different between levels (the egyption themed level reminds me of the pics that were shown for Sonic 3 that never ended up in the game).

IMO, the best 2-d Sonic made...Or at least close to S&K :)

I played a friend's copy today for two levels... amazing. I was let down with every sonic game since the Genesis (including the GBA ones). This hits the nail RIGHT on the head. It's just great! :) Hopefully it shows up under the tree at the end of the month :)

I loved the 3D ones, SA2B is one of my favorite games of this generation, and SA is still in my top 5 DC games (GC port absolutely sucks, the framerate is slower than Bowser's acceleration in MK).

Barely played any Advance Sonics, but I played enough to notice....all you do is hold right. It's really boring. Same thing in SR?

That's awesome! Unfortunately, I mail ordered my copy from DVDEmpire and used their standard (cheapest) media mail shipping. I suspect I won't get it until next year. :p

Oh well, more time for me to play the dozen other titles I haven't come close to finishing yet. :cool:

I agree that it's good to hear some positive reviews from actual gamers. I like the media attention that this game has garnered, but I trust the opinions of other gamers a bit more.

[quote name='LaseK']I loved the 3D ones, SA2B is one of my favorite games of this generation, and SA is still in my top 5 DC games (GC port absolutely sucks, the framerate is slower than Bowser's acceleration in MK).

Barely played any Advance Sonics, but I played enough to notice....all you do is hold right. It's really boring. Same thing in SR?[/QUOTE]

On the first level i tried just holding right...i jumped 3-4 times and back tracked a few steps once and beat the level. The levels after that are quite a bit more complex though, so you really have to be careful. There are loots of trial and error parts where you will most likely die if you dont jump/dash at the right time. There's quite a few interactive bits that can change your course through the level. Also, there are spots that will box you in so you have to fight off a few robots, and then be on your merry way...not too often though.

I agree with all of you. This is a great game. I got it on Sat and beat the final boss Wed. I've been with Sonic since day one, and I can say that this is the best 2d Sonic game since Sn3&K.

Gameplay is fast like the Advance series, but offers much more variation and paths like the megadrive games.

The tension guage is actually a very usefull new feature. It makes Sonic/Blaze blast forward at top speed and take out enemies along the way. This guage is charged by destroying robots (which thankfully still contain animals) and doing tricks in the air. While it might not seem like much, but it always keeps you on your toes for openings to trick for score boosting and guage charging.

The character models look great. 3D boss fights look wonderful and are actually fun and creative. I do wish, however, that the 2D level graphics presented more atmosphere for the level. They look nice, but sometimes, all i see are a bunch of platforms, loops, and rails, not a lush forest or battleship. Again, 3D areas have the atmosphere i feel is lacking in the rest of the levels.

And for once in so many years, special stages are fun and easy tp get to. They are set up much like Sonic 2 stages except sonic is controled by the stylus, which offers spot on fast control.

The story is also presented well. One thing I do wish they had brought back was level transitions (ala Sn3&K), it just made the world seem more cohesive. I know there is a map, but it just isn't the same.

Anyways, help support good Sonic games and buy this if you have any interest. You won't be disappointed.

bread's done
Back