Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection Announced

[quote name='freakyzeeky']I agree, it was extremely easy. ;)[/quote]
I laughed at the Ecco trophies, like 5 seconds was all it took. I always wondered why they bothered to make TWO Ecco games, let alone one. Damn Flipper...

As soon as I get it all done though, I'mma be all over Streets Of Rage 2, I can never get enough of that game. A remake of that would be awesome :drool:

Yup, I just used the Sonar, and it unlocked instantly... I was like "OMG! So easy!", and I laughed. And then moved on to the next Ecco game. :lol:

And I must say, I was quite surprised to see how much Golden Axe Warrior is like a carbon copy of Zelda for the NES. ;)

It'd be an Easy Platinum to get if it WEREN'T FOR MEAN BEAN MACHINE

EDIT: WTF!? PLATINUM!

I took the advice of using the Hardest Difficulty password and just building walls. And after a few tries, it worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Inf^Shini']I laughed at the Ecco trophies, like 5 seconds was all it took. I always wondered why they bothered to make TWO Ecco games, let alone one. Damn Flipper...

As soon as I get it all done though, I'mma be all over Streets Of Rage 2, I can never get enough of that game. A remake of that would be awesome :drool:[/quote]

Streets of Rage 3 was better :lol:

I just picked this up...man was it hard to find.

Wal-Mart - Out of stock
Gamestop - Out of stock
K-Mart - Out of stock
Best Buy - Out of stock
Blockbuster Video - Out of stock

Finally found it at Meijer....by the way the collection is amazing. One of the first things I did was unlock Space Harrier Arcade and finished it, man I was getting some motion sickness by the time I beat it (Stage 18). I am looking forward to spending a lot of time with this collection.

Traded in a couple of old PS3 games to get this at GameStop, which is where it seems to be fairly easy to find around here, according to their site.

The Columns trophy is giving me trouble for some reason since I've only been able to get to 11k most times.

I like the ability to rate games to sort by favorites and the ability to save where you're at outside of any in-game functions, so it doesn't follow in the footsteps that the Virtual Console does for that stuff.

I'm a little disappointed that games you unlock aren't added to the main list of games.

Columns took a couple tries for me also. One thing you might want to do is pause the game when it gets faster to give yourself more time to think.

What I did for Columns was create a save state for it. I got to 19,000 then hit a 4x chain somehow.

Note of interest: When you do a save state, in your Save Data Utility, it has a screenshot of exactly where you left the game off.

[quote name='Mogambi']I just picked this up...man was it hard to find.

Wal-Mart - Out of stock
Gamestop - Out of stock
K-Mart - Out of stock
Best Buy - Out of stock
Blockbuster Video - Out of stock

Finally found it at Meijer....by the way the collection is amazing. One of the first things I did was unlock Space Harrier Arcade and finished it, man I was getting some motion sickness by the time I beat it (Stage 18). I am looking forward to spending a lot of time with this collection.[/QUOTE]I had no problems finding it, but I'm surprised Meijer got the game in this week too (usually they get games in a week later).

I've really spent some time with this game and can honestly say it's worth the 30 bucks. Everything's emulated very very well and for the most part well presented. I DO sorely wish there were a general options menu for the entire game though so you don't have to set the video options for each individual game :( That is my only complaint with it. The sound quality is good.

I'll say this. I'm not sure if I agree it's going to be the easiest Platinum Trophy. It'll be damn close though I have about 60 percent of the trophies. I'm having MAJOR trouble with the trophies for Vectorman 2, Mean Bean Machine, and Comix Zone. I'm surprised over MBM though, I'm usually really good at that type of game. Comix Zone I may very well not be able to do at all, as I've never been able to get past the first stage. It's a great concept though and I hope a developer will try a game in that style this generation. Figures I thought Sonic Spinball's trophy would be the most difficult for me but I got it in about 10 minutes.

Overall, this game is a steal at it's price. I truly can't think of any reason to not get it, even if you are angry over the "omission". I hope at the least we'll see a Sega CD and Dreamcast compilation out of this.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I had no problems finding it, but I'm surprised Meijer got the game in this week too (usually they get games in a week later).[/quote]

I was happily surprised to see it at meijer also :)

So the requirement to unlock Phantasy Star is to beat Sonic 2's first boss with two players, do I need two people or can I be Sonic and Tails will just lag behind?

It took my a couple of stores to find it in stock. Target, Walmart, bull mouse and Gamestop in Topsham, Maine did not have it. The last stop of the day, best buy, had 2 copies left. I got one. For a fan of the old school games, it was worth the trouble

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']So the requirement to unlock Phantasy Star is to beat Sonic 2's first boss with two players, do I need two people or can I be Sonic and Tails will just lag behind?[/quote]
You need two controllers but you don't need someone to play as tails. You can keep moving and he'll follow automatically.

Well I've "played" all the Genesis games but the trophy never appeared, guess I'll have to "play" all the games again when I boot it up, and yea...MBM isn't exactly easy, it's the hardest next to Columns. I've managed to get a good combo in, but somehow Robotnik always manages to one-up me and drop a crapload of garbage beans :/

I'll get it down eventually..

[quote name='bh7812']I'll say this. I'm not sure if I agree it's going to be the easiest Platinum Trophy. It'll be damn close though I have about 60 percent of the trophies. I'm having MAJOR trouble with the trophies for Vectorman 2, Mean Bean Machine, and Comix Zone. I'm surprised over MBM though, I'm usually really good at that type of game.[/QUOTE]

If you don't think it defeats the point there are cheat codes for Vectorman 2 and Comix Zone which would make their trophies very easy. Heck, Vectorman 2 has a level select; would take about five seconds.

i'm SO HAPPY they released this. this is a straight up throwback to my childhood. i used to have a game called 6 Pak on the Genesis that had Sonic 1, Revenge of Shinobi, Super Hang-on, Columns, Streets of Rage, and Golden Axe. so good to see these games again!

Man, I have barely played the games in my PS2 Genesis Collection but am sooo tempted to get this version.

[quote name='surak']Man, I have barely played the games in my PS2 Genesis Collection but am sooo tempted to get this version.[/QUOTE]I barely play most class compilations but the addition of trophies makes me play this.

@ Magus: Thanks for the heads up on the cheats! I had a feeling those two games had some but wasn't sure. I'll try them and hopefully I can get those trophies :)

I loved the Genesis.. I remember back in the day I had The Sega Channel through cable, it had all kinds of games on there. I wish they'd release some old school saturn or 32x games like Sonic R, Knuckles Chaotix or Nights

[quote name='Magus8472']If you don't think it defeats the point there are cheat codes for Vectorman 2 and Comix Zone which would make their trophies very easy. Heck, Vectorman 2 has a level select; would take about five seconds.[/quote]

Can you try out this cheat for Shining Force 2 that lets player 2 control the enemy force. Thanks.

Quickly press Up, Down, Up, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Right, Down, Left, Up, B when the Sega logo appears. Music will confirm correct code entry. Hold Start while choosing to begin a new game or continue and character selection. A configuration menu with turbo speed, auto battle, enemy control, and game completion options will be displayed.

[quote name='grindin08']i'm SO HAPPY they released this. this is a straight up throwback to my childhood. i used to have a game called 6 Pak on the Genesis that had Sonic 1, Revenge of Shinobi, Super Hang-on, Columns, Streets of Rage, and Golden Axe. so good to see these games again![/quote]

I had this too. The best collection all in one :)

Anyone needing Trophy help can find a guide at www.PS3Trophies.com

Yea when i heard this game was coming out I had to get it , just heard about this game too about a week ago. The 1st game i played was Flicky . . . LOL i actually enjoyed it too!! As what someone else mentioned earlier SEGA does need to release a "Saturn" & a "Dreamcast" compilation . . . both would be MUST BUYS!!!

Didn't have it at Target, but I got the display copy at Gamestop.

I hate that it has a sticker directly on the spine of the cover slip, but I had to have it.

Online play would make this nearly flawless, but I'm still enjoying it very much.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I'm pretty sure the "Control the enemy" cheat for Shining Force only worked on the Japanese version of the game.[/quote]

No, I have done it on my North American version.

Picked this up over the weekend via pricematching @ BB (PS3 version). I honestly never played a Sega console more than once or twice when I was a kid so I'm actually really looking forward to some good old "retro" gaming. I'm also thinking about picking up one of those PS3 USB Sega 6-button controllers off of e-bay to get a little closer to the Sega experience.

Got this yesterday, it's neat.
There's actually quite a few games I never played before. :(

I wish they displayed what games where 2 players.:(
Are the Phantasy Star games multiplayer?

[quote name='lilboo']Got this yesterday, it's neat.
There's actually quite a few games I never played before. :(

I wish they displayed what games where 2 players.:(
Are the Phantasy Star games multiplayer?[/quote]

Rpgs aren't two players. These are

Mean Bean Machine
Sonic 2-3 and Knuckles
All golden axe games
All streets of rage games
Flicky I think
Altered Beast
The arcade game unlockables
Columns

Wow, does it really not show which ones are 2p? The PS2 Genesis Collection does right on the menu, which is handy, and has them listed in the manual too.

Gain Ground is in both collections and supports 2p. It's pretty awesome once you figure out how to play.

Managed to luck into the gold for Mean Bean Machine with several combos in a row. Only four left for the platinum. :D

Edit: And now I've got my first platinum. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='surak']Man, I have barely played the games in my PS2 Genesis Collection but am sooo tempted to get this version.[/quote]
Exact same here. It looked kinda shitty on my 50" and never really put it back in to play. I'm sure (and think I've read) that this version is widescreen?

bread's done
Back