Sony BDP-S370 Bluray player $79.99 TRU B&M

tthome

CAG Veteran
YMMV but TRU has the Sony BDP-S370 netflix/Pandora/Slacker/etc enabled Bluray player for $79.99. Tag says $139 marked down to $119 but once scanned it rings up $79.99. Just picked one up at the Greenville, SC TRU on Woodruff Road. 2 more left for the taking. Great player, my second BDP-S370. Works great with PlayON as well. Can stream my videos across my home network.

i was just about to drive to the local TRU that has this in stock till i read it doesnt have built in wifi.... I'll wait for wireless players for this pricepoint, we're almost there.

from what I've read on the review for the wireless version of these players and many other bluray wireless devices is that the internal antennae is not very reliable/strong. Some people who already own the wireless versions have went so far as to go ahead and purchase an external wireless bridge/gaming adapter for better signal strength. Plus, @ $80 you can get a wireless gaming adapter for less than $50 I would think. This is still cheaper than the wireless version of this player.

Thanks, my grandparents are looking into getting one (Not that they will have any clue how to use it) maybe I'll tell them about this, however I really hate Sony products.

[quote name='tthome']from what I've read on the review for the wireless version of these players and many other bluray wireless devices is that the internal antennae is not very reliable/strong. Some people who already own the wireless versions have went so far as to go ahead and purchase an external wireless bridge/gaming adapter for better signal strength. Plus, @ $80 you can get a wireless gaming adapter for less than $50 I would think. This is still cheaper than the wireless version of this player.[/QUOTE]

IDK know what you're reading, but last night for shits and giggles, I decided to stream content to (3) S570's (built in wi-fi, no wi-fi ready crap!) in my house. One was streaming Hulu Plus, another Netflix, the third Amazon VoD. Let the content run for 15 minutes while walking to each room, didn't notice any stutter or lag at all. I'm just running Comcast performance service hooked up to a Wireless N D-Link. I had one unit tucked inside a console, one on top of a dresser and the other on the floor behind some shelves. I've always gotten a full signal too during setup. So I can vouch for the Wi-Fi built in, and it had been $150 or less for a month at BB, that was the better deal IMO. Will we see Wi-Fi built in for sub-$100? maybe not until next Christmas/BF, but it won't last too long. Sony doesn't even sell a Blu Ray model less than $100 anymore..

I don't have first hand experience using the S570 for wireless, I'm simply stating what I've read at various forums and Amazon.com concering some issues/solutions people have come up with when they ran into wireless signal issues. Very good that yours is working liking a champ.:applause:

For those people looking for a decent wireless network bridge for their bluray, xbox, printer, etc here is a good solution however requires a firmware of DDWRT. Very easy to do. Less than $30 delivered from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-WL-520gC...11b/dp/B000WUAUOY?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals

[quote name='tthome']Very good that yours is working liking a champ.:applause:[/QUOTE]

ha! I hope I didn't come across as rude, I just really love my 570's and can't speak enough good about them (hell I damn near dropped $500 on them w/ HDMI cables and tax) Just like sharing my stories. Plus, like I said, BB doesn't even have a Sony BD for less than $100, so I think your deal is great enough! I would have got the 370 for one of my spots and wired it in, but with the $20 price difference at the time, figured might as well go for it..

[quote name='token2k6']ha! I hope I didn't come across as rude[/QUOTE]

nope didn't take it that way at all. It is ok to disagree or you know? :)

When I read that the Sony 570 might have wireless problems it reminded me of other devices I own that have wireless but less than stellar signal strength. Either way for $80 + $30 wireless bridge $110 is still a great deal. if you can wire it up directly as I can $80 for a bluray/netflix/media streamer is a steal.

[quote name='token2k6']IDK know what you're reading, but last night for shits and giggles, I decided to stream content to (3) S570's (built in wi-fi, no wi-fi ready crap!) in my house. One was streaming Hulu Plus, another Netflix, the third Amazon VoD. Let the content run for 15 minutes while walking to each room, didn't notice any stutter or lag at all. I'm just running Comcast performance service hooked up to a Wireless N D-Link. I had one unit tucked inside a console, one on top of a dresser and the other on the floor behind some shelves. I've always gotten a full signal too during setup. So I can vouch for the Wi-Fi built in, and it had been $150 or less for a month at BB, that was the better deal IMO. Will we see Wi-Fi built in for sub-$100? maybe not until next Christmas/BF, but it won't last too long. Sony doesn't even sell a Blu Ray model less than $100 anymore..[/QUOTE]

I haven't had a problem with the s570s native wifi either. I've streamed from amazon video on demand, hulu plus, (HD content), and from my home network. I also switched routers and it "found" both of them quickly and easily. I have seen the reviews though that say they have wifi issues. I am wondering if it's the routers or distance... mine is fairly close and no walls in between.

Quick question for you guys! I have an old Linksys Wireless Gaming Adapter that I use to use for Xbox Live...would that work on this player to get online?

I found a TRU that has one, they told me it was priced at $179.99 I asked if they could scan it over the phone and it came up as $139.99...is this YMMV or does the discount appear only through the checkout process?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I found a TRU that has one, they told me it was priced at $179.99 I asked if they could scan it over the phone and it came up as $139.99...is this YMMV or does the discount appear only through the checkout process?[/QUOTE]
People all over the country are reporting the $79.99 price. Try and check out with it.

bread's done
Back