Sony & Best Buy are at it again: 24" PS3 LCD Display $299

For $299 it'd have to be the 24 inch TV and a PS3 to be a good deal. Who uses TVs that small anymore? I would stick it in the bathroom or the kitchen.

Just a suggestion, you may want to edit the title to state that this a 3D display. If I wasn't a frequent visitor to this site, I wouldn't have know intuitively what you were writing about.

Isn't it an led display?

Also, I have mine on a small tv cart beside my big honkin' lcd tv so it's really about having more options for me. I have the same setup for a tube tv and retro junk so I don't have a zillion game systems tied to one set like the angry video game nerd.

if only it was somehow a samsung. samsung hd > sony hd. but yeah, seeing as how it's a smaller tv and most would likely be moving the ps3 to this just for 3d games and moving it back for everything else, it would at least need to come with four 3D glasses instead of one for me to bite on it. I just don't have any games (or tv shows really) that i MUST see in 3D. i'd rather wait a few years when the technology is older and I can get a larger screen for less that the price of this.

Regardless of the 3D capabilities, a 24" TV is pretty useless unless it were for a kid's room or some swanky bathroom. My guess is Sony intended this to be a replacement for a computer monitor in a small apartment or dorm.

i love my display. I have it on my computer desk which is close to my 37 in panasonic LED. I can use the sony display when i want to watch something while I play, or use it for FPS games. I tend to do better on a smaller screen with FPS. I use that display with a onza TE controller, and chimera 5.1 for BF3 on the 360. The picture is great on it, I have had no dead pixels or problems. I would be happier if more games supported the 3D thoough. FF 13-2 or ME3 in 3D would have been beyond great.

another thing...3DS and Vita recently came out and Wii U is on the way. if i'm buying something for $300 right now, it's gonna be a console.

[quote name='redroversk']Isn't it an led display?[/QUOTE]

yeah its an LED, alot of people don't seem to know that cause they keep comparing this with LCDs when they do price comparisons

[quote name='rapsodist']Regardless of the 3D capabilities, a 24" TV is pretty useless unless it were for a kid's room or some swanky bathroom. My guess is Sony intended this to be a replacement for a computer monitor in a small apartment or dorm.[/QUOTE]

I agree. For $299, there is other LCD-LED to consider.

Anyone know what is the best LCD-LED tv size to get?(24,32,37,42 in size?) It's going to the bedroom about 10-15 feet away from the bed.

I picked up the didplay last time it was 299 and I like it for that price. Hope the feature that allows full screen display for 2 people makes it to other TVs cause that's cool. As an aside, to someone interested in getting 3d on their current TVs should check this out http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005SN3INA/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1330543229&sr=8-1
the wife got it for me and we love it. It turns the 3d signal to anaglyph 3d and I'd say it gets you 75% of the way to actual 3d display. It also works with 3d MKVs or pretty much any SBS 3d. The only down side is that even though it claims to do 1080p it actually only works up to 720p/1080i.

I know most people might not know but you should probably put it's the 3D TV from Sony in the title. 24 inch TV might have worked in the 90s but now most people have a 32 inch+TV.

I got this last time it was $299. I use it as a 2nd tv to game in 3d on or play when my gf is on the tv. I'm really happy with it but now I want a larger 3dtv. So far Halo CE remake, killzone 3 and crysis 2 have been very cool in 3d. Also we will put the tv on the coffee table and put the couch cushons on the floor and watch 3d movies from close up. When I picked up the display the glasses were on sale for $40 I think so I grabbed a 2nd set. So id say if u don't mind the size the quality of it is great, but it may be worth it to wait and spend a few hundred dollars more for a bigger size

[quote name='Drclaw411']if only it was somehow a samsung. samsung hd > sony hd. but yeah, seeing as how it's a smaller tv and most would likely be moving the ps3 to this just for 3d games and moving it back for everything else, it would at least need to come with four 3D glasses instead of one for me to bite on it. I just don't have any games (or tv shows really) that i MUST see in 3D. i'd rather wait a few years when the technology is older and I can get a larger screen for less that the price of this.[/QUOTE]
Samsungs are horrible for gaming due to horrible input lag.

I can't believe Sony wants $499 MSRP for this thing. Talk about overpriced.

[quote name='MoxManiac_']Samsungs are horrible for gaming due to horrible input lag.

I can't believe Sony wants $499 MSRP for this thing. Talk about overpriced.[/QUOTE]

How quickly we forget. In the words of the infamous Ken Kutaragi "It's probably too cheap" and "We want consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one.' We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else".

This is Sony's MO dude. Not to mention that 3D is a gimmick and has zero staying power. WTF wants to wear glasses to watch tv or play games in their living room? LAME.

[quote name='Glasscocked']How quickly we forget. In the words of the infamous Ken Kutaragi "It's probably too cheap" and "We want consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one.' We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else".

This is Sony's MO dude. Not to mention that 3D is a gimmick and has zero staying power. WTF wants to wear glasses to watch tv or play games in their living room? LAME.[/QUOTE]

That was my thought exactly but now I enjoy watching some movies in 3D some times. I would nit want to do it everytime but every once in a while its cool.

I bought this from Walmart about 3 months ago when it was 299.99 What most people are forgetting is that you are getting a pair of the $50 glasses AND a $60 game. If you take those out and resell them this monitor is a great item at a great price.

I will be honest I use it as a PC monitor because when I play shooters I sit at my desk and anything larger than 24in Makes me have to move my eyes/head to see all points on the monitor.

The LED is gorgeous looking. I dont care for 3D but it works... lol

Im not saying its a steal... but its a pretty good deal at 299... and of course if you wait longer you can always get it cheaper...

Kind of cool, but 24" is pretty small for an HDTV, especially for HD gaming (damnable small text!). It's not going to be a good gaming choice unless you are sitting right in front of the screen. So, yeah, only for computer desks IMHO.

I do the majority of my Gaming on a 24 inch monitor. I have the signal from a switch split so I can play my ps3 or xb on either the 24 inch monitor or my 55 inch tv. (or both at the sametime) I really only use the tv when I play with the move or kinect.

So In my setup I could see where this would be a good size screen. But then again I wear glasses So 3d glasses will not work :)

Now if this sony TV was without glasses I would maybe jump on getting one.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']Still waiting for 200. Then Ill bite.[/QUOTE]

Black Friday. Probably, with a game thrown in, as well.

[quote name='MoxManiac_']Samsungs are horrible for gaming due to horrible input lag.

I can't believe Sony wants $499 MSRP for this thing. Talk about overpriced.[/QUOTE]

Wrong, any LED is horrible for gaming due to bad input lag. Plasmas are the best for gaming, Panasonic plasmas to be exact, followed by LCDs (Samsung preferably) if you can choose.

I've been selling televisions for a long time now and am quite the videophile. :p

That said, this is a horrible deal for a mediocre TV, as been said.

[quote name='infamy']Wrong, any LED is horrible for gaming due to bad input lag. Plasmas are the best for gaming, Panasonic plasmas to be exact, followed by LCDs (Samsung preferably) if you can choose.

I've been selling televisions for a long time now and am quite the videophile. :p

That said, this is a horrible deal for a mediocre TV, as been said.[/QUOTE]

I dunno...I had a Samsung LED and it was pretty bad for gaming. My Sony LED 3D has been a lot better for gaming, and their game mode doesn't make everything look absolutely terrible like the Samsung's did.

IMO Samsung or Sony, they're both top quality LEDs, and I like Sony a little better...but not much.

[quote name='plus1zero']I dunno...I had a Samsung LED and it was pretty bad for gaming. My Sony LED 3D has been a lot better for gaming, and their game mode doesn't make everything look absolutely terrible like the Samsung's did.

IMO Samsung or Sony, they're both top quality LEDs, and I like Sony a little better...but not much.[/QUOTE]

Hrmm, your Sony model is most likely a higher model than the Samsung, which isn't a fair comparison. One of my tvs is a Samsung8000 series and good God its gorgeous.

Trust me, as much as I love LED/OLEDs, gaming on a good plasma is pure bliss. No input lag, i.e. your led has 60/120/240 HZ while plasmas are instantaneous. :D

[quote name='infamy']Hrmm, your Sony model is most likely a higher model than the Samsung, which isn't a fair comparison. One of my tvs is a Samsung8000 series and good God its gorgeous.

Trust me, as much as I love LED/OLEDs, gaming on a good plasma is pure bliss. No input lag, i.e. your led has 60/120/240 HZ while plasmas are instantaneous. :D[/QUOTE]

My dad has a Samsung 8000, and yes, it is fantastic. Beautiful, beautiful tv. I still prefer my Sony, but the 8000s are definitely some of the best available.

One does NOT need a ginormous TV to enjoy games. Albeit there are some times(like the frickin' subtitles in many games nowadays:roll:) when a bigger set is nice to have. But in order to enjoy a game you don't need a 72" screen.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']One does NOT need a ginormous TV to enjoy games. Albeit there are some times(like the frickin' subtitles in many games nowadays:roll:) when a bigger set is nice to have. But in order to enjoy a game you don't need a 72" screen.[/QUOTE]

55" is good enough :)

I played on a 21" monitor from Target for about two years. So long as you're playing from a distance of 3-4 feet that size screen is just fine. Now if you've got a huge living room and sit all the way across the room from the tv, then you might need a little bit bigger of a screen.

I did grab a larger tv(32") on Black Friday from Best Buy and while it is nice to not have to squint to see the text when sending a message or reading subtitles I would still be rocking the smaller screen if I didn't have a ton of cheaply made credit there to grab the bigger tv.

I bought one last month and it's great for a small room like my self. The glare on is bad if it's facing a window. The 3d is not bad I guess, it's kinda of fun playing Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombie for it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']One does NOT need a ginormous TV to enjoy games. Albeit there are some times(like the frickin' subtitles in many games nowadays:roll:) when a bigger set is nice to have. But in order to enjoy a game you don't need a 72" screen.[/QUOTE]

I love my 72" TV! It really does bring the game to life in terrifying ways.

I keep on almost ordering this 3D TV but I always realize I don't think I'd ever use it for 3D...

[quote name='lupe guillotine']I bought one last month and it's great for a small room like my self. The glare on is bad if it's facing a window. The 3d is not bad I guess, it's kinda of fun playing Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombie for it.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. The HP monitor I bought from a thrift store last week has a shiny screen/case to it as well and it's annoying when my light is on while using it.

[quote name='infamy']Wrong, any LED is horrible for gaming due to bad input lag. Plasmas are the best for gaming, Panasonic plasmas to be exact, followed by LCDs (Samsung preferably) if you can choose.

That said, this is a horrible deal for a mediocre TV, as been said.[/QUOTE]

LED TVs as you call them are the same tech as LCD, the only difference is the backlight which has no effect of response time. Most LCD TVs today (LED backlight or otherwise) have a less than 6ms response time which if fine for gaming, what can cause significant delay is any prossesing the display does with the input signal and this would be the same across all display technologies. That's why TVs usually have a "game" mode that eliminate or minimize prossesing of the video, but I'm sure you already knew that being a videophile and all. ;-)

They are almost better off calling it a 24" 3D Computer Monitor... Nobody in their right mind would use this as a TV when the average distance from a TV is roughly ~6 ft. The picture would be TINY.

If this was $200-250, I MIGHT consider getting it as a monitor.

I have absolutely no need for this, but want one. WTF!

Thankfully I've got nowhere to put it. But if it ever gets down to $199, I might have a difficult time not finding a spot for it.

Not available for shipping and dwindling availability at stores. I doubt this model will be around for that much longer at any price.

46" sony 3d sets with wifi built-in were going for under $1k lately.

bread's done
Back