Sony - BRAVIA 40" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV: Good for Gaming?

XTommyDonX

CAGiversary!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ny+bravia+1080p&type=product&id=1207957070478

Hey guys. I'm looking for an affordable gaming setup such as the one in the link above. Anyone know how this HDTV is for gaming or if there is another better choice in the same price range? Anyone with hands-on experiences. Please let me know, it is greatly appreciated.

PS. Is Dynex, the BestBuy in-house brand any good? Their price tag for a 1080P is really low, as in the $699 range. Anyone know anything about those? Thanks.

I bought this exact TV yesterday at Target. It's great. Everything I've thrown at it so far, which isn't much, looked great.

Samsungs and Sonys seem to be the best in overall quality IMO. That set looks great, can't go wrong with 1080p unless you pick a really shitty brand or get it at a Walmart. Remember to use HDMI :wave:

[quote name='munch']I bought this exact TV yesterday at Target. It's great. Everything I've thrown at it so far, which isn't much, looked great.[/quote]

Nice. Is the sound quality good? Also, is there any wall-mounting support included? Thanks.

[quote name='JMEPO']Samsungs and Sonys seem to be the best in overall quality IMO. That set looks great, can't go wrong with 1080p unless you pick a really shitty brand or get it at a Walmart. Remember to use HDMI :wave:[/quote]

Well I'll pick up some cheap HDMI on MonoPrice for my PS3. Unfortunately, I'm an early adopter of the Xbox 360, AKA no HDMI for me.

[quote name='XTommyDonX']Nice. Is the sound quality good? Also, is there any wall-mounting support included? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The sound quality isn't good out of the box. You need to mess around with it.

It doesn't come with a mount. I got mine from Target as a display.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Do NOT buy a dynex.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I had heard very mixed opinions about that. It's best to be 100% sure when investing in an HDTV. Thanks for the headsup guys.

The TV is pretty nice but it is the worst Model Sony makes ( S ). For the price though you really can't go wrong with it. You can't go wrong with any Samsung or Sony actually.

Would 1080p even be necessary for a TV under 40"? That's the size I'm looking for, yet I've been tipped that there really is no difference between 1080P and 720P for TVs under 50". Also, do 720Ps have all the ports such as HDMI and component slots? Everyone's help is really appreciated so far:applause:.

[quote name='XTommyDonX']Would 1080p even be necessary for a TV under 40"? That's the size I'm looking for, yet I've been tipped that there really is no difference between 1080P and 720P for TVs under 50". Also, do 720Ps have all the ports such as HDMI and component slots? Everyone's help is really appreciated so far:applause:.[/QUOTE]

I say for TV's 40 and up you do want 1080p. For anything 37 and Lower don't waste the money for it.

I actually went to Best Buy today to take a look at that Sony 40". It had one of the best pictures compared to all the other brands around it ( LG, Samsung, Dynex:lol:, etc... ) There was a 37" Samsung A550 near it that looked great as well.

I was very very impressed with the quality considering its an inexpensive Sony Model. I'm half tempted to sell my 37" LCD and buy this one up.

I own that exact TV and it is great for gaming + Blu ray. The picture is very good. The sound, not so much. I would recommend getting your own sound system because this TV has a tendency to be extremely loud during Gunfighting/Action, and ridiculously quiet during talking parts.

[quote name='munch']Again, this TV is bwallin. I feel like I got an amazing deal at $750. I'm so happy with it right now.[/quote]

$750????? Where and when was that??? I thought I was lucky getting at a local electronics store for around $900

I don't think I've ever seen an LCD that looked better than a Panasonic, Pioneer or recent Samsung plasma.

It's a good deal though since Sony and Samsung make the only LCDs I can tolerate. If you need 1080p then go for it, otherwise find a 720p plasma and enjoy what I think is a better overall picture.

Would a 1.3a 28 AWG HDMI cable be the only cable I will need to buy separately in order to use the PS3, or will I need other cables like component to go along with it?

Thanks for all of the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='XTommyDonX']
Is this the only cable I will need to buy separately in order to use the PS3, or will I need other cables like component to go along with it?

Thanks for all of the help.[/QUOTE]

Nope you have it right. You only need 1 HDMI cable for the PS3. It will carry the 1080P HD picture plus the Audio in one connection. Your all set with this cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back