Sony CEO wants to go back in time, avert high-def format war

BattleChicken

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I found this interesting, but not suprising.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071110-sony-ceo-wants-to-go-back-in-time-avert-high-def-format-war.html

"It's a difficult fight," Stringer was quoted saying by the Associated Press, going so far as to describe the situation as a "stalemate." He candidly indicated that the war mostly came down to bragging rights over who was winning, and said that the two camps could have collaborated better in the past to develop one format.

All in all, the format war doesn't serve anyone, least of all the potential high-def consumer.

Market research firm Forrester Research recently revised its stance on the Blu-ray versus HD DVD deadlock, saying that it was sure to continue well into 2009, if not longer. As a consumer, that news is just plain dreadful, and for a manufacturer with hands in the game, probably even worse. A large majority of consumers are still hesitant to buy players for either format. And with customers not spending money, neither camp will come out on top.

note: I searched several times.. didn't see a thread for this.

[quote name='mykevermin']Do you own a PS3, BC?[/quote] Not yet, (yet being the operative word), but I don't see what difference that makes to the article.

If the only format was Blu-HDDVD, I don't think there would be as many people holding off on the PS3 OR high def players -- the format war seems to be hurting both sides.

A compromise early on would TODAY equate to everyone making more money, and consumers feeling safer in their HD purchases - as the chance of them becoming obsolete would be nil.

At least, IMO.

edit: Edited to fix the sentence structure of my post.

Can you blame the consumer? The consumer isn't tech-savvy when it comes to HDTV's, most don't know what 720-, 1080i or 1080p means. Now we are throwing terms like Blu-Ray and HDDVD into the mix! Not to mention, Blu-ray has some commercials where they say Blu-Ray HiDef DVD. WTF!?!

EDIT: Sorry, I overracted

Anyway, consumers are indeed confused about HDTVs, partially because of different resolutions, HD discs, etc.

IMO, I do feel it would have been better if they just made 720p or 1080p standard resolution and stuck to it. I heard from a Best Buy employee or something that consumers buy these nice TVs and don't know how to properly used them.

I wish I could go back in time too so I can help my parents fall in love and get that monster truck with the roll bar lights that I want so bad.

He's right, there should never have been two formats. Bad situation to get into especially when you consider people need an HDTV as well to watch them.

I whole-heartedly endorse his plan to go back in time. Though I the costs associated with time-travel might outweigh the benefits of faster HD video adoption.

[quote name='naes']TMK, doesn't the PS3 come with a Flux Capacitor?[/QUOTE]

but you also need plutonium that was stolen by the Libians by some crazy old guy.

Or a bolt of lightning. Unfortunately, you never know when or where it's ever gonna strike.
[quote name='ITDEFX']but you also need plutonium that was stolen by the Libians by some crazy old guy.[/quote]

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Because you're already anti-Sony and will post in any single anti-Sony thread trying to bring them down in any way.[/quote]
Mana Knight, first off, I admire your passion.

However, if you read the article.. heck.. even my quotes of the article.. I hope you can see I'm not attacking Sony -- the article is based off of a very true statement from Sony's CEO -- that EVERYONE would be better off if there was one format.

I couldn't care less if HD-DVD or Blu Ray was the prevailing format -- other than BD+ being a bad thing for the consumer, I have nothing negative to say about Blu Ray.

This is the the only time i'm going to defend my 'Sony cred'... so try to remember it for future reference TMK. Abotu a month ago, I spent $425 buying a PSP and a bunch of games (via the B2g1 at Tru and a coupon for a $100 used PSP at Gamestop). If I was anti Sony, why would I spent so much buying their products? My PS2 library is still my largest collection of last gen titles, and my largest retro collection is my PS1 games.

Just because I try (I may fail.. but I try) to be objective about the pros and cons of a particular format, which at times MAY make me negative towards the PS3, does NOT make me ANTI anything -- I just try to think critically about the realities of the consoles, I complain about the bad things and praise the good things.

Please don't paint me to be a fanboy, because I'm not.

[quote name='naes']Or a bolt of lightning. Unfortunately, you never know when or where it's ever gonna strike.[/QUOTE]

ooo ooo, I know

10:04 P.M. on November 12, 1955 at the Hill Valley Clock Tower!!!!

Great Scott.
[quote name='ITDEFX']ooo ooo, I know

10:04 P.M. on November 12, 1955 at the Hill Valley Clock Tower!!!![/quote]

[quote name='naes']TMK, doesn't the PS3 come with a Flux Capacitor?[/QUOTE]Uh no. I can discuss about all the components PS3 has, what's the maximum voltage they can support, what the wattage rating of all the resistors are and their value based on the color code. I can freak you out with all the electronic knowledge I have. ;)

[quote name='BattleChicken']Mana Knight, first off, I admire your passion.

However, if you read the article.. heck.. even my quotes of the article.. I hope you can see I'm not attacking Sony -- the article is based off of a very true statement from Sony's CEO -- that EVERYONE would be better off if there was one format.

I couldn't care less if HD-DVD or Blu Ray was the prevailing format -- other than BD+ being a bad thing for the consumer, I have nothing negative to say about Blu Ray.

This is the the only time i'm going to defend my 'Sony cred'... so try to remember it for future reference TMK. Abotu a month ago, I spent $425 buying a PSP and a bunch of games (via the B2g1 at Tru and a coupon for a $100 used PSP at Gamestop). If I was anti Sony, why would I spent so much buying their products? My PS2 library is still my largest collection of last gen titles, and my largest retro collection is my PS1 games.

Just because I try (I may fail.. but I try) to be objective about the pros and cons of a particular format, which at times MAY make me negative towards the PS3, does NOT make me ANTI anything -- I just try to think critically about the realities of the consoles, I complain about the bad things and praise the good things.

Please don't paint me to be a fanboy, because I'm not.[/QUOTE]I edited my post a while ago. I'll admit I got carried away.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Not yet, (yet being the operative word), but I don't see what difference that makes to the article.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't. I mistook you for another piss-taker in some thread wherein the topic became (1) what a joke the PS3 is and (2) what a joke TMK is. You were straightforward and respectful on both counts (which even I can't attest to).

My apologies.

[quote name='naes']Great Scott.[/QUOTE]

We haven't got much time! If we waste anymore time....Ken Kutaragi and the PS3 will have never been born!

872l6cz.jpg

[quote name='mykevermin']It doesn't. I mistook you for another piss-taker in some thread wherein the topic became (1) what a joke the PS3 is and (2) what a joke TMK is. You were straightforward and respectful on both counts (which even I can't attest to).

My apologies.[/quote]
I am, as usual, impressed with the way you respond to damn near everything -- you make CAG a great place to be, Myke.

[quote name='BattleChicken']I am, as usual, impressed with the way you respond to damn near everything -- you make CAG a great place to be, Myke.[/QUOTE]

yep Myke loves everyone :)

Yes well these companies are more concerned with maximum profit off of every disc sold. If they collaborated from the beginning they would have to share, what kind of bullshit would that be?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']EDIT: Sorry, I overracted

Anyway, consumers are indeed confused about HDTVs, partially because of different resolutions, HD discs, etc.

IMO, I do feel it would have been better if they just made 720p or 1080p standard resolution and stuck to it. I heard from a Best Buy employee or something that consumers buy these nice TVs and don't know how to properly used them.[/quote]
Did you post something in reagrds to me and edit it away or was it directed towards someone else? I know for a fact that people are not fully using their HDTV's. Just recently my friend was telling me that his friend had a 360 hooked up to a nice Sharp Aquos HDTV, and he was only playing in 480p.

Aren't all the big companies teaming up to make a single memory format? Seems like that is the right idea.

EDIT: Link: http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/14/nokia-samsung-and-sony-ericsson-team-up-on-memory-card-standar/

[quote name='BattleChicken']Mana Knight, first off, I admire your passion.

Please don't paint me to be a fanboy, because I'm not.[/quote]

It's TMK, what did you expect? Dude is such a moron that he makes ZenDavis his bitch and thats like SUPER RAREZ!!!

[quote name='fart_bubble']It's TMK, what did you expect? Dude is such a moron that he makes ZenDavis his bitch and thats like SUPER RAREZ!!![/quote]

TMK is very passionate about his likes and dislikes.

While I more often than not disagree with HOW he expresses himself, and WHAT he believes, He's always honest about it -- to the point where others will rail on him constantly for believing and supporting it.

That is an amazing dedication to be honest with oneself, and that I have respect for, even if I can't fathom being so passionate about the same things.

He said he was sorry, and that he overreacted -- so I'm not taking it personally.

bread's done
Back