Sony could have cut off the scalpers like this

jlarlee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
The launch has shown there is a group of people willing to pay outrageous amounts for the console. They could have cut out the middle man by offering the units up for $1,000 during the launch and dropping the price back down when more shipments came in. They could call it a super exclusive launch or something and than the people who had to ahve it could get it and sony wouldn't be losing money ont he first batch of consoles at least

It would have probably killed their sales though. At a lower price, they were able to move the small amount of units they had. They would have also gotten very very bad press had they charged $1000+ at launch.

Just my $.02

[quote name='harrygetsoff']It would have probably killed their sales though. At a lower price, they were able to move the small amount of units they had. They would have also gotten very very bad press had they charged $1000+ at launch.

Just my $.02[/QUOTE]

I dunno they could have changed the coloring to differentiate it and made sure it was referred to as early and exclusive I think would have minmized the PR hit

I had a conspiracy thought of my own. Sony only released a very small amount of PS3 to the public to create a ton of hype. Then they sold the rest of there units on Ebay to make up for some of the lose they were gonna take by selling the systems for MSRP.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I had a conspiracy thought of my own. Sony only released a very small amount of PS3 to the public to create a ton of hype. Then they sold the rest of there units on Ebay to make up for some of the lose they were gonna take by selling the systems for MSRP.[/quote]

You never know! Don't put anything past giant electronics companies

Sony would rather it happen just as it did. They ensure the super-spoiled rich kids will get their console. How many GAMES could I afford if I were lucky enough to drop $600+ on the console? 0. I would be playing demo's and installing Linux. How many games will daddy buy for little junior son-of-a-bitch? Probably more than I would buy in 6 months.

YaI was thinking this too, they shoulda double their prices then halved them later on to make it seem like everyone was getting a great deal lol

This will make ebay price even higher. A $1000 price tag won't do jack. People will still buy them and ebay them. They'll probably get more since its a exclusive. Some people just have to be the first to get the newest thing and some are just flithy rich.

The only way to solve the problem is having enough systems at launch.

[quote name='blueweltall']This will make ebay price even higher. A $1000 price tag won't do jack. People will still buy them and ebay them. They'll probably get more since its a exclusive. Some people just have to be the first to get the newest thing and some are just flithy rich.

The only way to solve the problem is having enough systems at launch.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. They'd have to sell them at some absurb amount, like $5,000 or more, in order to ensure that they're mostly just purchased by the filthy rich ones who just have to have the newest things.

[quote name='blueweltall']This will make ebay price even higher. A $1000 price tag won't do jack. [/quote]
Sony would make money off it (or at least lose less money).

They would probably get a lot of shitty press for it...BUT HEY what's one more damning article to Sony? They're Invincible! (right?)

In my opinion, a $600 system that is in such a huge demand that it creates a flock of people willing to line up days ahead of launch will offer free publicity to Sony. I saw more headline articles than my fingers during the launch and a few days after that. Despite some bad press, that is still a lot of free advertising for the PS3.

Sony probably shaved off a lot of advertising costs that way. I guess the money they will gain from people willing to buy the PS3 at $1000+ is far lesser than the money they will save from publicity.

At 1000 though not as many people would be able to afford one in the first place to ebay though (They'd probably have to sell their clothes)

bread's done
Back