Sony customer service

drkpendragon

CAG Veteran
I've got my original 60GB (640GB HDD upgrade) PS3 and the whole graphics tearing issue. Seems like a common problem that I've seen a lot of examples of, including on the Playstation forums. The problem seems so widespread that the 60GB price is a lot lower than it was in the past.

So I call Sony and neither the first lady or the supervisor has ever heard of this problem. They also have never heard of the original controllers disconnection issues. I wonder if it's because they don't listen to anyone who calls.

With the PS2 Sony would fix their manufacturing issues. $720 of hardware, all of which is broken due to manufacture error...:bomb:

$120 and the supervisor claimed that I would receive the same 60GB back. However, I've never even heard of this being a option.

[quote name='drkpendragon']I've got my original 60GB (640GB HDD upgrade) PS3 and the whole graphics tearing issue. Seems like a common problem that I've seen a lot of examples of, including on the Playstation forums. The problem seems so widespread that the 60GB price is a lot lower than it was in the past.

So I call Sony and neither the first lady or the supervisor has ever heard of this problem. They also have never heard of the original controllers disconnection issues. I wonder if it's because they don't listen to anyone who calls.

With the PS2 Sony would fix their manufacturing issues. $720 of hardware, all of which is broken due to manufacture error...:bomb:

$120 and the supervisor claimed that I would receive the same 60GB back. However, I've never even heard of this being a option.[/QUOTE]

The only issue I've had recently is playing a buggy game (Fallout 3 GOTY, major tearing, crashing/lockup/freezing and gfx issues along with laggy controller problems and short desync issues)

And my controller desyncs very infrequently but there is cause for it since it has happened to me, the only time I've ever had to press the reset button (on the back of the controller) to get it to sync up again, hasn't happened since.

Weird glitches you see once and never again, dunno what to tell ya.

If it works on 95% of your stuff I'd not take the chance of them "fixing" it and it coming back broken or not working like it was suppose to or back with not a refurbished unit in its place instead.

That's what happened to me. At first, it was not bad and only in some games. However, over time, it's gotten worse. From what I understand, it's a problem with the thermal link between the GPU. After the connection starts failing, the GPU starts overheating which causes the graphics problems. The longer you use your PS3 while that is happening, the more permanent damage is done to your GPU.

My controller doesn't disconnect too often either, but when it happens it's quite annoying. I've went to my death countless times because of it at least. The new controllers don't have this issue from what I've seen, but they don't seem to be willing to exchange them. Everyone that I've known with the original controllers has had this issue that I've known.

More than the $120 I am worried about a miss communication or employee who doesn't know what they are taking about and my reviving a refurbished slim or some other issue.

[quote name='drkpendragon']That's what happened to me. At first, it was not bad and only in some games. However, over time, it's gotten worse. From what I understand, it's a problem with the thermal link between the GPU. After the connection starts failing, the GPU starts overheating which causes the graphics problems. The longer you use your PS3 while that is happening, the more permanent damage is done to your GPU.

My controller doesn't disconnect too often either, but when it happens it's quite annoying. I've went to my death countless times because of it at least. The new controllers don't have this issue from what I've seen, but they don't seem to be willing to exchange them. Everyone that I've known with the original controllers has had this issue that I've known.

More than the $120 I am worried about a miss communication or employee who doesn't know what they are taking about and my reviving a refurbished slim or some other issue.[/QUOTE]

Well in this case I KNOW it's Fallout 3 GOTY causing the problems, so that covers that, but the only real advice I have otherwise is make sure the system is well ventilated (absolutely nothing around it) , you keep it clean and vacuum out the air slots on the system and try to not keep the room you use it in not too hot. (Which isn't the case with me at the moment either, it is the low 60's where I game)

Yeah I prefer to use my Sixaxis since the DS3 is heavier, but yeah it has its issues occasionally. If it gets too bad I'll bring down my almost new DS3 and start using it.

I know I hear ya, we like our launch units because of how much they still can do over the newer fat and slim models, and don't want to loose'em.

But I'd say that many issues are caused by buggy software 99% of the time, gets to be annoying being a non-paid bug tester, and even more annoying to play a game that doesn't have a patch when it seriously needs one.

All I can say is good luck with whatever you decide to do. ;)

While my issues were different, I had a prolonged horrible experience with their customer service a year ago before someone higher up who knew what they were talking about was able to help me. The PS3 has worked just fine since, though!

bread's done
Back