Sony does it again with the PS3

MorPhiend

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
When will people learn? Sony is going to always act like Sony.

http://egm.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3140675

PS3 Videos Possibly Pre-rendered
Controversy erupts over Sony press conference.
by Garnett Lee, 05/18/2005 19 of 24 users recommended this story.
The past 24 hours have been an emotional roller coaster ride for game fans anxiously waiting the PS3. At its press conference Sony thrilled the crowd with videos that definitely said "next generation". To an audience eagerly hoping to be blown away it was like a nuclear bomb went off and they ate it up. It was a powerful shot across the bow of the other contenders in the escalating console wars, but was it real?

Before sunrise today a spark of doubt was smoldering. It caught fire by the end of the day. In the midst of the storm brewing this morning a poster identifying himself as Epic's Mark Rein posted to the Voodooextreme forums talking about the videos seen at the conference. While he did preface his comments saying that everything he saw looked perfectly achievable, he clearly said that he had seen the three or four times during rehearsals and only Sony first-party, Epic and EA demos were running in real-time on the PS3.

Of course that meant that the darling of the presentation, Killzone 2, was CG. It also meant that the hardware might not be light-years beyond the competition. After all, that left the Unreal tech demo as the best looking game running real time; more or less the same as the very Gears of War Microsoft used to show off the Xbox 360. That kicked off a cascade of people reviewing what they'd seen with a more critical eye. The consensus coming out is that the scenes are in fact pre-rendered material. Some of the signs that point to that are the extreme particle effects and tightly choreographed shots. On the other hand, our own John Davidson has it direct from Sony contacts that "just about all of it" was "real". As our friend Fox used to be prone to saying, "the truth is out there." What we're wondering is how much it really matters at this point. Hardware is still a long way off and developers will be making the usual enormous strides in quality over the final few months -- Sony, Microsoft and when the time comes Nintendo. For now the one thing certain is they served their purpose. Sony has put the contenders on notice; it isn't coming to this generation resting on its laurels.

[quote name='MorPhiend']When will people learn? Sony is going to always act like Sony.

http://egm.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3140675

PS3 Videos Possibly Pre-rendered
Controversy erupts over Sony press conference.
by Garnett Lee, 05/18/2005 19 of 24 users recommended this story.
The past 24 hours have been an emotional roller coaster ride for game fans anxiously waiting the PS3. At its press conference Sony thrilled the crowd with videos that definitely said "next generation". To an audience eagerly hoping to be blown away it was like a nuclear bomb went off and they ate it up. It was a powerful shot across the bow of the other contenders in the escalating console wars, but was it real?

Before sunrise today a spark of doubt was smoldering. It caught fire by the end of the day. In the midst of the storm brewing this morning a poster identifying himself as Epic's Mark Rein posted to the Voodooextreme forums talking about the videos seen at the conference. While he did preface his comments saying that everything he saw looked perfectly achievable, he clearly said that he had seen the three or four times during rehearsals and only Sony first-party, Epic and EA demos were running in real-time on the PS3.

Of course that meant that the darling of the presentation, Killzone 2, was CG. It also meant that the hardware might not be light-years beyond the competition. After all, that left the Unreal tech demo as the best looking game running real time; more or less the same as the very Gears of War Microsoft used to show off the Xbox 360. That kicked off a cascade of people reviewing what they'd seen with a more critical eye. The consensus coming out is that the scenes are in fact pre-rendered material. Some of the signs that point to that are the extreme particle effects and tightly choreographed shots. On the other hand, our own John Davidson has it direct from Sony contacts that "just about all of it" was "real". As our friend Fox used to be prone to saying, "the truth is out there." What we're wondering is how much it really matters at this point. Hardware is still a long way off and developers will be making the usual enormous strides in quality over the final few months -- Sony, Microsoft and when the time comes Nintendo. For now the one thing certain is they served their purpose. Sony has put the contenders on notice; it isn't coming to this generation resting on its laurels.[/QUOTE]

:( The dirt on the fingers was just too goood to be true

...he clearly said that he had seen the three or four times during rehearsals and only Sony first-party, Epic and EA demos were running in real-time on the PS3.
That statement only indicates that the real-time demos were running in real-time on the PS3 hardware. It doesn't mean that the VIDEOS didn't consist of gameplay footage of PS3 games. Granted, I don't believe the Killzone footage was gameplay footage, but there were other games on display that were.

I think the majority of game players could tell right away what was pre-rendered in Sony's press conference. It was night and day when I saw it. Videos are the way to hype your system though. Look at the buzz surrounding Killzone 2 compared to the buzz generated by the games that showed actual gameplay. It was a good move to show these high-quality pre-rendered movies because it catches peoples' eyes. It makes people think "why should I buy an Xbox 360 this fall, when the PS3 is going to be offering this in the spring?" And the funniest thing about this is, this is a sequel to a game that was generally thought to be an average shooter.

oh noes a system that won't be out for months was promoted with something besides actual in-game footage

Jesus, who would care but console fanboys?

Actually, the best trailer I'd seen so far was the MGS4 trailer, and not only was that not gameplay, but it was based on PS2 hardware.

Another brilliant showing of Sony, they are building hype, and the message boards are buzzing about if it was in game footage or not

um some are some arent I read about the guy who works for epic on ign. some you could tell right off the bat was pre-rendered like tekken for instance and some you could tell were real time like that unnamed rockstar game . Like shipwreck said it caught peoples attention .

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']oh noes a system that won't be out for months was promoted with something besides actual in-game footage

Jesus, who would care but console fanboys?

Actually, the best trailer I'd seen so far was the MGS4 trailer, and not only was that not gameplay, but it was based on PS2 hardware.[/QUOTE]

That trailer was hilarious! That is an example of a perfect teaser trailer.

IMO it wouldn't really matter much except that Sony has been making a big deal of how their system specs blow the 360's out of the water.

But, we all know that the graphics for the PS3 are going to be better than the PS2. The only thing that will matter is the software that comes out for it.

I just feel sorry for the people that can't afford to own their choice(s) of console.

edit: cleaned up my grammar, I blame the 2 hours of sleep for the poor word chioces.

[quote name='hasaki_cb']IMO it wouldn't really matter much except that Sony has been making a big deal of how their system specs blow the 360's out of the water.

But, we all know that the graphics for the PS3 are going to be better than the PS2. The only thing that will matter is the software that comes out for it.

I just feel sorry for the people that can't afford to own their choice(s) of console.

edit: cleaned up my grammar, I blame the 2 hours of sleep for the poor word chioces.[/QUOTE]

Its the other way around. MS has been touting that the 360 is going to be the next coming of christ. Sony has put out reletively little hype compared to them.

[quote name='Scorch']Good. I totally called this one.

From the Killzone 2 topic:

Eat it, fanboys.[/QUOTE]

I just hope that some industry hooplah is made over Sony's false claims.

But...you know...they won't.

[quote name='ne2eire']Its the other way around. MS has been touting that the 360 is going to be the next coming of christ. Sony has put out reletively little hype compared to them.[/QUOTE]
Took The Liberty Of Making
Christ20-20Second20Coming20220-20Harry20Anderson.jpg

The "Emotion Engine" that launched 1000 of Saddam Houssein's nukes is now dead. Long live the "Reality Synthesizer." Everything old is new again. God save the queen.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Of course that meant that the darling of the presentation, Killzone 2, was CG. It also meant that the hardware might not be light-years beyond the competition.[/QUOTE]

Well, duh.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']The "Emotion Engine" that launched 1000 of Saddam Houssein's nukes is now dead. Long live the "Reality Synthesizer." Everything old is new again. God save the queen.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that works, take a 5 year old story from a conservative propaganda site and make believe that Sony reps said it.

[quote name='evilmax17']I just hope that some industry hooplah is made over Sony's false claims.

But...you know...they won't.[/QUOTE]

Of course not.. EA's been hyping CG with Madden, I can't wait to see the backlash when everyone realizes.. holy crap, that wasn't in-game footage.. Of course, Microsoft did the same thing with DOA4 and nearly every other game (the only game i've actually seen in-game is NFS: Most Wanted.. and Ghost Recon 2, assuming that was in-game.. I think it was, considering the fact that there was a HUD and everything) was all CG.

But i'm with you. I wish someone would make a 'hooplah' over it.

[quote name='ne2eire']Its the other way around. MS has been touting that the 360 is going to be the next coming of christ. Sony has put out reletively little hype compared to them.[/QUOTE]

Did you see the beginning of the Sony press conference on Monday? When they were talking about the cell processor's specs they included how it compared with the 360's processor in every case I can remember.

To then turn around and show prerendered stuff is disappointing when they tout the specs like that.

Like I mentioned before, I'm an equal opportunity game whore; I play PC games and I own all of the current-gen systems except the PSP (which I will probably pick up after my next check) and I will be getting a 360 and a PS3...When I get them depends on when a title I want comes out.

bread's done
Back