Sony: "MS owns the office; Sony owns the living room; and Wii owns the closet"

sleepy180

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4000/catching_up_with_playstation_.php?page=4

You have lots of data -- years of data. What percentage of people actually do buy more than one console in any given generation? Do you have any data on that? Because that's a phenomenon that I would guess is overrepresented in the enthusiast press and the enthusiast audience compared to the broad consumer.

PD: It might be overrepresented. I'm not sure I have a percentage for you, but you're probably talking millions of people and not tens of millions because we know that there are tens of millions of consoles that get sold. It's not the majority; it's the minority of folks.

But they happen to be the 80-20 rule, right? They may be in the minority, but they're buying an awful lot of software, whereas once you get to the broader audience of folks who buy a lot of hardware, they buy fewer games -- back to your tie ratio question.

Julie Han: The other point, I think, to what Peter said earlier, is that PlayStation products tend to be at the living room hub. Even if folks are playing playing the Wii and have a PS3, the Wii tends to stay in the closet, and the PS3 is...

Peter Dille: Yeah, I don't want to steal [CEO] Jack [Tretton]'s quote, but he's fond of saying: "Microsoft owns the office; Sony owns the living room; and Wii owns the closet." And that's an aggressive, probably quotable line.

Is sony PR turning into an internet troll? :wall::wall::wall::wall:

Wii owns my living room (haven't played a game on it for a year or so), so I just leave it out of my room to save space and I only play it when people are over so no need keeping it in there.

PS3 and 360 own my bedroom.

Sony might as well hire GW Bush with all the crazy shit their PR likes to pull out of their ass. Id like to see TMK's stats to back this up.

it's pretty funny as nintendo are the ones taking steps in offering tv program service while sony is busy marketing and taking the same steps that microsoft often take.

Sony's PR really has gotten aggressive again lately. I'm not sure what they believe gives them the ground to stand on all this bravado.

That's pretty accurate for me, on the PS3 and Wii anyway.

I use my PS3 to play games nearly everyday. I almost always use it at least a few times a week to watch downloaded shows or play my mp3s through my surround sound (off my HD). And when I'm feeling lazy, I just pick up my wireless keyboard and mouse and surf the web on my TV via the browser.

The Wii is in my living room but it's under an old rag... because it was getting dusty. I really should move it into my closet.:whistle2:k

While I think it is fool-hardy of Sony to say such a thing, it's pretty accurate. I play my PS3 all the time, and this weekend I'll be driving a few towns over to sell my Wii to a friend of mine. Also, if you look at it, Microsoft has plenty of office products along with games, Sony has plenty of high-grade TVs and consumer electronics in addition to games, and Nintendo has - aside from games - ... playing cards?

Still, Sony should cool it. Pride is a fool's fortress.

[quote name='the7k']While I think it is fool-hardy of Sony to say such a thing, it's pretty accurate. I play my PS3 all the time, and this weekend I'll be driving a few towns over to sell my Wii to a friend of mine. Also, if you look at it, Microsoft has plenty of office products along with games, Sony has plenty of high-grade TVs and consumer electronics in addition to games, and Nintendo has - aside from games - ... playing cards?

Still, Sony should cool it. Pride is a fool's fortress.[/quote]I don't really think that's an accurate assessment of things though. Just looking at NPD numbers monthly, Wii dominates by a large margin and Sony has been faltering in last place with monthly sales dipping every month.

And that quote is clearly referring to each brand's consoles, not their overall electronics/software divisions. And there's absolutely no way to skew numbers to even make it somewhat believable that Sony's current gen "owns" the living room.

Maybe if by Playstation brand, they're taking into account the original PS and PS2 installed user base along with PS3, then they have an argument. But to dismiss Wii that way is an absolute joke.

Well it's really more like the Wii is just shoved way back in the entertainment center behind a bunch of DVDs than it the closet but the description is certainly close enough.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I don't really think that's an accurate assessment of things though. Just looking at NPD numbers monthly, Wii dominates by a large margin and Sony has been faltering in last place with monthly sales dipping every month.

And that quote is clearly referring to each brand's consoles, not their overall electronics/software divisions. And there's absolutely no way to skew numbers to even make it somewhat believable that Sony's current gen "owns" the living room.

Maybe if by Playstation brand, they're taking into account the original PS and PS2 installed user base along with PS3, then they have an argument. But to dismiss Wii that way is an absolute joke.[/QUOTE]

He's not talking about sales

I don't own a Wii, but basically everyone I know that owns a Wii regrets buying it (and instead plays their X360 or PS3 exclusively)

[quote name='Oktoberfest']He's not talking about sales

I don't own a Wii, but basically everyone I know that owns a Wii regrets buying it (and instead plays their X360 or PS3 exclusively)[/quote]

I wouldn't say I regret buying a Wii, but since I bought my 61" Sammy it just doesn't hold my interest much. My kids still play it though.

I use my PS3 a lot to watch BRs, DL content, stream music... actually i use it for everything but playing games it seems. LoL

I love my Wii still. It's still the most often played in the house. Second is my PS2, even though my brothers are intent to 'accidentally' break it. Third is the 360, mainly because I only have 3 games for it and can't afford more.

PS3 doesn't place at all because I bought those three consoles for the price of PS3. They don't seem to understand this.

Why does everyone seem so obsessed with this statement. Sony does own the living room between TVs, DVD players, speakers, etc in addition to the PS3 and MS owns the office through PCs (much larger businesses than video games). The nintendo part is just funny.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']He's not talking about sales

I don't own a Wii, but basically everyone I know that owns a Wii regrets buying it (and instead plays their X360 or PS3 exclusively)[/quote]

Yeah, this exactly. I couldn't give less of a crap about how much is sold, I care about games. Sony has 'em (as does Microsoft, just not ones that interest me personally), while Nintendo hasn't made a game that interested me since Smash Bros, and that was over a year ago.

[quote name='happy']Why does everyone seem so obsessed with this statement. Sony does own the living room between TVs, DVD players, speakers, etc in addition to the PS3 and MS owns the office through PCs (much larger businesses than video games). The nintendo part is just funny.[/QUOTE]

QFT.

Pretty funny line, IMO. :bouncy:

I've used my PS3 more often, but that statement just seems like petty trash talking (which isn't the first time Sony has done it). What is this, the WWE?

Well it is true for me... while the Playstation 3 is not my main gaming machine, Sony "owns the living room" in the way that I use the PS3 for everything not gaming: to watch Blu-ray movies, stream obtained movies and television shows, as well as play music. But when it does come to playing games, Microsoft "owns" in that department.

[quote name='salty tbone']I've used my PS3 more often, but that statement just seems like petty trash talking (which isn't the first time Sony has done it). What is this, the WWE?[/quote]

Yeah, pretty much... but this sorta thing happens all the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpZH...99F66D2A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=99

I also remember a negative Sega Saturn ad campaign from Sony (Saturn bytes), the classic Genesis ads (Sega Does What Nintendon't), the Anti-PS2 ads of the Dreamcast (It's Sinking), etc etc... mud-slinging and games go hand in hand, it seems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTi5EaocGaY
[quote name='VioletArrows']I love my Wii still. It's still the most often played in the house. Second is my PS2, even though my brothers are intent to 'accidentally' break it. Third is the 360, mainly because I only have 3 games for it and can't afford more.[/quote]That sounds like a fairly accurate representation of my situation.

Except for the brothers thing.

And I have slightly more than three 360 games.

And I still don't suck at Zack & Wiki.

Pretty sharp quote. Witty and funny. He is right because he is talking about the BRANDS. To be consistent he should have said Nintendo instead of Wii. But then he should have said Nintendo owns the closet and the car ride (talking about DS here, they rule travel play). If he were talking consoles, it would not be wholly accurate. They are all in the living room, where most keep their consoles! Except Wii is gaining dust and MS is used for games and PS3 is used for movies and internet (of course, it is significantly gaining game play).

Has anyone seen the Japan sales numbers for basically all of 2009? They are outselling Wii by a pretty good margin every month. Probably because everyone already has a Wii in Japan :p

[quote name='HowStern']Has anyone seen the Japan sales numbers for basically all of 2009? They are outselling Wii by a pretty good margin every month. Probably because everyone already has a Wii in Japan :p[/QUOTE]

I personally find it pretty amazing that the PS3 is outselling the Wii consistently, and with fairly strong numbers (relatively speaking) despite the higher price tag in a country already deep in recession. The Wii market is likely already saturated until a killer app comes out but give some credit to the PS3's appeal in the Japanese market.

We need more trash talking commercials.. anyway.

Iwata responds (finally),

Iwata-san:

According to our internal research, 87% of Wii consoles are connected to the largest TV screen in the household, which is set in the center of the living room. Our consoles are not only out of the closet, they are also in the middle of the house. This shows what kind of our customers are playing Wii, as of January this year.

As you can see, Wii is played by people in a wide ranged of ages, and male-female ratio is nearly equal. As I have mentioned, Wii has spread with ages. Nearly 90% of the consoles are connected to the largest TV screen of the internet, video streaming or payment system has established through our videogame businesses.

[quote name='Thomas96']
Iwata-san:

According to our internal research, 87% of Wii consoles are connected to the largest TV screen in the household, which is set in the center of the living room. Our consoles are not only out of the closet, they are also in the middle of the house. This shows what kind of our customers are playing Wii, as of January this year.

As you can see, Wii is played by people in a wide ranged of ages, and male-female ratio is nearly equal. As I have mentioned, Wii has spread with ages. Nearly 90% of the consoles are connected to the largest TV screen of the internet, video streaming or payment system has established through our videogame businesses.[/quote]
That is the second weakest comeback I've ever seen.

[quote name='The Crotch']That is the second weakest comeback I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

damn.. what was the weakest?

Ugh, hate all these ratios. "87% of gamers have their Wii in the living room!" and everyone goes, "Oh ok!" Sounds totally bullshit. I've yet to vote on any of these things or have been called and asked.

bread's done
Back