Sony network attacked again

bubbafett4hire

CAGiversary!
c/p BBC News http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13636704

A hacker group has claimed it has attacked the Sony network and stolen more than one million passwords, email addresses and other information. Lulz Security said it broke into servers which run SonyPictures.com. Sony said it was aware of Lulz Security's statement and was investigating, the Associated Press reported.

In April, hackers broke into Sony's PlayStation Network and stole data from more than 77 million accounts. That attack was considered the biggest in internet history and led to Sony shutting down the PlayStation Network and other services for almost a month.

In a statement on Thursday, Lulz Security said it had hacked into a database that included unencrypted passwords as well as names, addresses and dates of birth of Sony customers. "From a single injection, we accessed EVERYTHING," it said. "Why do you put such faith in a company that allows itself to become open to these simple attacks?"

The group also recently claimed responsibility for hacking the website of the PBS network and posting a fake story in protest of a new program on WikiLeaks.

[quote name='garrett007']Why hackers, why?[/QUOTE]

Cause like they said

"From a single injection, we accessed EVERYTHING," it said. "Why do you put such faith in a company that allows itself to become open to these simple attacks?"

I'd say be thankful it was a research firm who found a reported a weakness rather then a black hat who would take information and never inform a company of a security issue

Or, instead of attacking, inform the company about the security flaw and move on. Either way, considering it's Sonypictures.com, I'm not concerned one bit. Surely until Sony changes EVERY affiliated site we're going to keep seeing this. "Meh".

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']I'd say be thankful it was a research firm who found a reported a weakness rather then a black hat who would take information and never inform a company of a security issue[/QUOTE]

"Research Firm", right. They openly posted all the information they came across online. Hackers are obviously pissed at Sony, but they're hurting Sony customers far more than Sony will end up hurt.

[quote name='Salamando3000']"Research Firm", right. They openly posted all the information they came across online. Hackers are obviously pissed at Sony, but they're hurting Sony customers far more than Sony will end up hurt.[/QUOTE]
That's their goal. To piss off as many customers as possible so they don't buy Sony's products because they are pissed at Sony.

Title seems misleading (the whole "sony network" bit). Someone coming here would think this was PSN related, but it's just one of their websites. Sony strengthened up their gaming servers, but I doubt they really did anything with their websites, which are all probably vulnerable still

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']That's their goal. To piss off as many customers as possible so they don't buy Sony's products because they are pissed at Sony.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I get that that's their goal...their goal/plan just sucks. Their plan hinges on customers being inconvenienced at the least, experiencing major identity fraud and losing a lot of money at worst. Customers are getting pulled into a battle they never asked to be a part of.

This group in particular...they should be somewhat easily caught...they've been bragging on Twitter, posted Torrents and files on various file downloading sites, in addition to having a damn website. Along with whatever trace they left on Sony's servers, there should be enough of a trail to find them. If there isn't, I think this leak could be the least of our problems.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Title seems misleading (the whole "sony network" bit). Someone coming here would think this was PSN related, but it's just one of their websites. Sony strengthened up their gaming servers, but I doubt they really did anything with their websites, which are all probably vulnerable still[/QUOTE]

I doubt they did either, but they should have. After the PSN thing, they should have known that the hacker community has put a target on their back, so they should do everything possible to lock their stuff down.

I don't care about the hackers anymore. They have no impact on my life personally so at this point it just seems like a bunch of kids starving for attention. They'll get bored soon enough and move on to Apple since that seems like the big focus of attack on the industry right now. Yawn.

I constantly have stupid people threatening me on multiplayer games saying they're going to hack me because I whooped their ass in a team death match or race in GT5. And they never do. Just a bunch of empty threats.

I'd be more scared of a bruteforce hack offline then I would online. With all of the security features today on most website login any more then 5 attempts usually locks them out. 64 character passwords FTW.

Knowledge is power.
https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

[quote name='GTmaster39']
I'd be more scared of a bruteforce hack offline then I would online. With all of the security features today on most website login any more then 5 attempts usually locks them out. 64 character passwords FTW.

Knowledge is power.
https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm[/QUOTE]

Amen on the brute force on websites but it's the everyday apps and OS's that people use who have now clue how vulnerable they may be

Real Knowledge
http://www.exploit-db.com/

fantastic - I have an account on the site that was compromised. It's tied to my Sony credit card - but doesn't contain any of the CC# info. At least it better not.

bread's done
Back