Sony Playstation Home - Gen. Discussion & Info - Open Beta Available Now

It's definitely coming very soon. Sony "betas" are really just to get a bunch of suckers to think they're making a difference when they're only function is to test network loads. Basically the entire purpose of the smoke and mirrors show known as the Gamers Advisory Panel.

Home is probably 99% complete, with a last minute load test and then a hiatus while they wait for the biggest trade show to unveil it Apple style (basically: here's Home, it's out now, enjoy!).

Remember that leaked PSN list?
It's been right so far.
And it had Home listed for July.

However I'm hoping it meant the non-beta Home.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']You can be virtually raped anywhere. heck, I just virtually raped you a min ago and myself an hour ago.[/quote]

haha lol That is funny!!:applause:

Im thinking full release in July, and hopefully an open beta this month

2v8hht0.jpg

i tHink the novelty wore off already.. it was fun the first week or so but then its just like blah..

also home felt larger when the beta first came out... now it just feels smaller..

Hopefully they also keep it current since the theatre had the same bs in it for the longest time

[quote name='XxSmityxX']go find the exploit and download the beta now!!!![/quote]

doesn't connect to the HOME servers... useless...

[quote name='guyver2077']i tHink the novelty wore off already.. it was fun the first week or so but then its just like blah..

also home felt larger when the beta first came out... now it just feels smaller..

Hopefully they also keep it current since the theatre had the same bs in it for the longest time[/QUOTE]

I don't think that anyone is going to use home every day, but around E3, GDC, any events, when I go to HOME I want to feel like I'm there at E3, and GDC, etc.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'll use Home everyday. All the MMOs I've ever played, I spent more time modifying my home and living space than killing monsters or adventuring.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I'll use it just for the fact that it's better sitting in my apartment watching a movie with my buddies than sitting in the Gears of War lobby hitting buttons waiting for everybody to show up.

I'd love to be able to make videos via my PS3 Eyecreate and then beable to post videos on home or youtube even.

Good link there Dallow.

I find it odd how hard it seems to be for people to wrap their minds around just what Sony is trying to do here.

Great article Dallow. Thanks:D

So is Home coming July? When the store hits? PS4 launch? I am kind of confused about this.

Home should be hitting later this year when the new PSN features and everything roll out (or atleast that's what the press coverage kotaku has posted tells me).

I'm really excited for Home, and I don't even have my ps3 yet. Just the concept is awesome. And having a place to customize in my own way, to have my friends meet me online there is a whole lot better than "hey, i'll see you in that 2d grid waiting que on xbl!". Not to mention the game trailers, previews, etc. Should be great.

It looks like our questions may be answered a little sooner than we thought. The new FW 2.30 will be available for download Tuesday around Midnight as usual!! We need Home!

[quote name='Blackout542']Great article Dallow. Thanks:D

So is Home coming July? When the store hits? PS4 launch? I am kind of confused about this.[/quote]

yeah it's supposed to be out in July. But who knows, they keep delaying it, we can only keep our fingers crossed. A couple of my friends are HOME Beta testers, from what I heard it's not all it's cracked up to be.

[quote name='KSHLove']yeah it's supposed to be out in July. But who knows, they keep delaying it, we can only keep our fingers crossed. A couple of my friends are HOME Beta testers, from what I heard it's not all it's cracked up to be.[/quote]

Care to elaborate? I'm not entirely sure what someone expected with 'cracked up to be'. Seems pretty straightforward - have an avatar and decorate a virtual room.

No, noooo!
Home is delayed until this fall! :cry:
"Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) announced today that it will expand the Closed Beta testing for PLAYSTATION®Home in Summer 2008, inviting a further number of registrants from the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3®) users. Following completion of the Expanded Closed Beta test, the PLAYSTATION Home Open Beta service will commence in Fall 2008.
“We understand that we are asking PS3 and prospective PS3 users to wait a bit longer, but we have come to the conclusion that we need more time to refine the service to ensure a more focused gaming entertainment experience than what it is today,” said Kazuo Hirai, President and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. “Our overarching objective is to provide users with new gaming experiences that are available only on PLAYSTATION Home. Spending more time on the development and on the Closed Beta testing reaffirms our commitment to bringing a quality service, maintaining the PlayStation® tradition.”
The PLAYSTATION Home Open Beta service that will become available in Fall 2008 will be built around providing new and fun community gaming experiences, such as connecting PlayStation games with Home and providing places and items from the games.
Details of the Closed Beta testing features, registration for the test and the opening of the service will be announced as they become available."

but at least they sound like they are opening the beta to more people... I hope I get in.

in some ways I will be very pissed if I'm not. I'm more looking forward to Home than any game (other than MGS4).

[quote name='mykevermin']What's the opposite of delayed gratification?

Y'know, when it's delayed, but still going to be a disappointment in the end?[/quote]

Probably not, but I guess it would be better to just have everything running smoothly 6 months later than to have everything glitched when it would have launched... I guess you're right, it's still disappointing to keep waiting though. ;)

[quote name='freakyzeeky']No, noooo!
Home is delayed until this fall! :cry:
"Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) announced today that it will expand the Closed Beta testing for PLAYSTATION®Home in Summer 2008, inviting a further number of registrants from the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3®) users. Following completion of the Expanded Closed Beta test, the PLAYSTATION Home Open Beta service will commence in Fall 2008.
“We understand that we are asking PS3 and prospective PS3 users to wait a bit longer, but we have come to the conclusion that we need more time to refine the service to ensure a more focused gaming entertainment experience than what it is today,” said Kazuo Hirai, President and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. “Our overarching objective is to provide users with new gaming experiences that are available only on PLAYSTATION Home. Spending more time on the development and on the Closed Beta testing reaffirms our commitment to bringing a quality service, maintaining the PlayStation® tradition.”
The PLAYSTATION Home Open Beta service that will become available in Fall 2008 will be built around providing new and fun community gaming experiences, such as connecting PlayStation games with Home and providing places and items from the games.
Details of the Closed Beta testing features, registration for the test and the opening of the service will be announced as they become available."

[/quote]

I came here to post this.

This is really lame. I've been a Home defender since the original announcement at last year's GDC, but these constant delays, are seriously abating my once boundless excitement for it.

Seriously Sony, it's time to get on the ball.

How difficult could it be to release the actual 'Home' portion of it, without the online bit, to at least give people something to fuck around with? Obviously that part is in good shape.

Just seems like that would at least give people a chance to mess with it beforehand, like Spore's Creature Creator.

I'm not surprised at all Home is listed as Fall 2008. My thinking for Home all along was November 2008, because of lack of news, and because I heard from a Three Speech moderator who seemed to be close to the project (The semi-Official Europe blog) that Home was 8 months behind schedule (and this was towards the end of last year and early this year). Also, there was a job posting somewhere at SCEA/SCEE looking for more people with development on Home.

Are you forced to use that Sims like interface in home? It seems to me that it will be fun for about a week, then you're going to want something a bit easier to navigate.

[quote name='zengonzo']You don't control it by thumbsticks?[/QUOTE]

You control it with your mind in the 4th dimension. This is the PS3, after all.

[quote name='munch']You control it with your mind in the 4th dimension. This is the PS3, after all.[/quote]

Having any form of control over your avatar alone should be sufficient differentiation.

bread's done
Back