Sony PS2 HDD Kit w/FF XI $59.99 at Fry's

epobirs

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Sony PS2 HDD Kit w/FF XI $59.99 at Fry's Electronics

Price good through Tuesday, July 13.

Another good item at Fry's for the technically curious is the book 'Hacking the Xbox' for $20 plus a $20 rebate. You pay only local sales tax in the long term.

I wish I could get some accurate numbers on how this thing has sold so far. I'd hope Sony has been disappointed by the general public's knowledge of what a 40GB drive should cost.

well you do get FFXI with the hard drive so $60 is a good price. But paying $90 and pay the monthly fee on top of that is so ridiculous.

Those who have suggested to Sony that they should unbundle the game so that a less expensive HDD Kit could be brought to those who see the value in a meory card of effectively unlimited capacity have been told by Sony that FF XI is free.

This hasn't worked as sony hoped since it only makes the drive appear that much more overpriced. I'm really hoping a future version of HDLoader will be able to copy file between the memory slots and the hard drive I've installed, especially if they let it use a secondary partition in the unaddressed 33 GB of the 160 GB total. I don't mind if it isn't supported directly in games so long as I can avoid sunk cost in further memory cards.

if this was in the weekly ad i would be tempted to pm this at best buy and use the gamer card on it. However, the monthly fee for ffxi pretty much kills the "deal" for me.

If it was $50 in the ad and i could get it for $45 with the gamer card, then that would be more reasonable.

[quote name='neonglow']Is there currently any other OFFICIAL use for this thing other than FFXI?[/quote]

yup... you can back up your memory cards and install the DVD software... not all games support the HD... even spiderman 2 I needed to use my memory card... I hope the newer games will support it though.

[quote name='neonglow']Is there currently any other OFFICIAL use for this thing other than FFXI?[/quote]

Resident Evil Outbreak. You can reduce the load times if you have the HDD.

ESPN NFL 2K5 is supposed to use the HDD to get full video replays at halftime and postgame like in the XBox. Without it, you just get a slide show of still photos. Supposedly there are some other uses for it with the game.

Also, in the SOCOM II manual, it says that they will make use of it for downloads if you are online.

I've been waiting for so long to get my hands on an HDD, but I don't want FFXI. I'll wait till I can get it without it and see how much it is.

[quote name='epobirs']Those who have suggested to Sony that they should unbundle the game so that a less expensive HDD Kit could be brought to those who see the value in a meory card of effectively unlimited capacity have been told by Sony that FF XI is free.

This hasn't worked as sony hoped since it only makes the drive appear that much more overpriced. I'm really hoping a future version of HDLoader will be able to copy file between the memory slots and the hard drive I've installed, especially if they let it use a secondary partition in the unaddressed 33 GB of the 160 GB total. I don't mind if it isn't supported directly in games so long as I can avoid sunk cost in further memory cards.[/quote]

Only reason I'm waiting on HDloader is because of the lack of support for copying memory cards to HD. Hopefully with the next version, they'll include it. Even at $60, the Sony HDD seems way too much, especially since I have no interest in FFXI. (and honestly, 40gb doesn't get you as far as it used to).

bread's done
Back