Sony PS3 3D TV/Display $299 at Best Buy Again

I'm sure most of you know this but I had to post just in case others aren't fully aware; this is a display monitor, not a television. You won't be watching any TV on this.

TC might want to change title just to be safe.

[quote name='NEP']Still waiting on the inevitable $199. Then I'll probably buy 2.[/QUOTE]

Same here... I wonder how many of these were made? I hope the warehouses are still full of them.

[quote name='NEP']Still waiting on the inevitable $199. Then I'll probably buy 2.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, if this drops to $200, i am in, nice size tv for taking on deployment with me.

[quote name='TopsideKracker']I'm sure most of you know this but I had to post just in case others aren't fully aware; this is a display monitor, not a television. You won't be watching any TV on this.

TC might want to change title just to be safe.[/QUOTE]

Well since most cable boxes now have HDMI output you sure could use this as a TV. Unless you are wanting to go the antenna route then you couldnt because there is no TV tuner. I personally think I want one but I would want to cover the cost with trade in credit. Now to figure what to trade in lol.

[quote name='heyheyhey11']Still waiting on the inevitable $99. Then I'll probably buy 1.[/QUOTE]

This won't happen.

I bought one for $280 used off amazon + I had $17 credit...but I'm thinking about canceling my order. What do other people think?

I took a close look at the store display last time it was $299. Whenever the screen went dark, I could see a clear reflection of everything behind me. The screen is like a mirror. Don't know if it's just the in-store lighting or if it's like that in normal home lighting?

Wish the store display loop ran some 3D video too. Hard to know if the 2D reflective glare would be a nuisance during 3D video. The 2 player/1 screen feature on the demo loop is neat, but I don't think I'd buy a 2nd set of Sony 3D glasses just for that... esp. with so few games supporting it.

[quote name='icarusmight']Well since most cable boxes now have HDMI output you sure could use this as a TV. Unless you are wanting to go the antenna route then you couldnt because there is no TV tuner. I personally think I want one but I would want to cover the cost with trade in credit. Now to figure what to trade in lol.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, poor choice of words. Yeah, I was referring to it not having a tuner. I know this isn't typical today, but I personally have zero cable boxes in my house.

[quote name='tomwaits1']I took a close look at the store display last time it was $299. Whenever the screen went dark, I could see a clear reflection of everything behind me. The screen is like a mirror. Don't know if it's just the in-store lighting or if it's like that in normal home lighting?

Wish the store display loop ran some 3D video too. Hard to know if the 2D reflective glare would be a nuisance during 3D video. The 2 player/1 screen feature on the demo loop is neat, but I don't think I'd buy a 2nd set of Sony 3D glasses just for that... esp. with so few games supporting it.[/QUOTE]

What tv does not have a reflection when dark with lighting from behind?

[quote name='SuperMario64']For anyone who has it, how is it? I'm really thinking about getting one.[/QUOTE]

I bought one last time Best Buy had this sale. I use it as a bedroom TV, and I am totally impressed. The 3D is a neat gimmick, but I have not used it a ton since I am playing so much Skyrim right now.

The image on the Playstation display looks way better than my 42" 1080p LCD TV, and since I use the display for gaming and watching Hulu and Netflix the lack of TV tuner does not bother me (I only watch regular TV for sports, and have an antenna on my main TV).

As for the glare, I have not noticed a problem at all. I have mostly used the display at night though, with the lights off, so the glare may be an issue depending on when and where you use it.

My final bit of advice is to buy the Sony Blu-Ray remote. The display does not come with a remote. Since the Sony remote can control Netflix and Hulu on PS3, it was totally worth the money to add the remote to the purchase.

[quote name='ijustw1n']What tv does not have a reflection when dark with lighting from behind?[/QUOTE]

My 47" LG LED-HDTV doesn't have a reflection. I've noticed most plasma's do have reflection, while LCD or LED's don't... which is odd because this sony display isn't a plasma.

The reflection will totally depend on where and how you watch it. If you have any type of glossy display in front of a window or in a room with a lot of lighting it will be much more noticeable. For me, the glare would be a much bigger issue if you planned on using this as a PC monitor, but I have read a lot of things saying that this is a really bad PC monitor. I have researched this a decent amount(even bought one before returning it unopened), from what Ive found I wouldnt recommend this as a PC monitor. I have read numerous reports of the screen randomly going black, really bad reflections, no support for nvidia 3d, and a lack customer support with compatibility issues with anything other than a ps3.

I also wouldnt buy a used/open box one at any price, I have read about a ton of returns for defects.

Here is a thread from the playstation community where people discuss issues with the displays (some who have returned multiples). Newegg customer reviews also are more negative than best buy or amazon.
http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3911087?start=0&tstart=0

If you are looking for a 24 inch matte PC monitor that does 3d for both your ps3 and nvidia PC there are very few options. Viewsonic makes one that is supposed to be really good for $450. Its more money, but a much better choice for PC use.

I think you will be happy with the PS3 monitor if your expectation is to strictly use it with your PS3, any other use may not be so great.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya, people waiting for 199 are kidding themselves. Somewhat comparable 3d PC monitors can be as high as 400-450 bucks and don't include a game. Like this samsung. The cheapest 3d monitor would probably be the passive LG for 250+. This wont be 199 for a while.

[quote name='caltab']ya, people waiting for 199 are kidding themselves. Somewhat comparable 3d PC monitors can be as high as 400-450 bucks and don't include a game. Like this samsung. The cheapest 3d monitor would probably be the passive LG for 250+. This wont be 199 for a while.[/QUOTE]

People only see the "24 inch display" and immediately compare it to some crap quality 30 inch tv for $2 to $300. Oh ya and it doesn't have a tv tuner either, fuck this display!

[quote name='Mikocouch']ya man, $50 is my pricepoint. Almost there![/QUOTE]
I'm waiting for the drop to $49.99.:booty::razz:
Kidding. But a drop to $200 or under is not that unlikely seeing as how every BB I've been in has 10+ of these still.

[quote name='caltab']ya, people waiting for 199 are kidding themselves. Somewhat comparable 3d PC monitors can be as high as 400-450 bucks and don't include a game. Like this samsung. The cheapest 3d monitor would probably be the passive LG for 250+. This wont be 199 for a while.[/QUOTE]

These things didn't sell plain and simple. They made too many of them and at some point are going to try and dump stock. It'll hit $199.

My local BB had a ton of these, but when they knocked the price down to $299 last time they sold through their whole inventory except for one (which I ended up taking when I swapped my purchase out due to stuck pixels on the first display)

[quote name='NEP']These things didn't sell plain and simple. They made too many of them and at some point are going to try and dump stock. It'll hit $199.[/QUOTE]

They didnt sell at 4 or 500 bucks. Judging by the size of the thread here and on SD the last time they hit 299 and the inventory depleting at best buys around me, I believe they do sell at 299. Also, they are only available in store at best buy and fry's as far as I know( maybe Walmart?), not a place like target who would be far more likely to clearance something like this. The box is surprisingly compact so they take up very little space considering their value, so I don't think there will be a huge need to get rid of them to clear up space. It's not like some huge collectors edition that sells for only 100 bucks msrp. I think these will only touch 199 if/when another model comes out.

Regardless, from what I read this is a crummy pc monitor at any price and really only good with a PS3.

At that price I'd probably buy two as well and just use them as PC monitors

[quote name='caltab']They didnt sell at 4 or 500 bucks. Judging by the size of the thread here and on SD the last time they hit 299 and the inventory depleting at best buys around me, I believe they do sell at 299. Also, they are only available in store at best buy and fry's as far as I know( maybe Walmart?), not a place like target who would be far more likely to clearance something like this. The box is surprisingly compact so they take up very little space considering their value, so I don't think there will be a huge need to get rid of them to clear up space. It's not like some huge collectors edition that sells for only 100 bucks msrp. I think these will only touch 199 if/when another model comes out.

Regardless, from what I read this is a crummy pc monitor at any price and really only good with a PS3.[/QUOTE]

I use it as my PC monitor and have no complaints about it. Just depends on the user.

[quote name='bigant262']I use it as my PC monitor and have no complaints about it. Just depends on the user.[/QUOTE]

Haven't had any issues with the screen randomly going black? Don't have a nvidia graphics card or don't use it for pc 3d? No glare issues? If you plan on using it as a pc monitor and want to be able to use pc 3d there are better options out there.

I kind of want one of these for the PSP scaling but don't exactly NEED another monitor or TV. Maybe @ $250 I'd be quicker to bite.

[quote name='caltab']Haven't had any issues with the screen randomly going black? Don't have a nvidia graphics card or don't use it for pc 3d? No glare issues? If you plan on using it as a pc monitor and want to be able to use pc 3d there are better options out there.[/QUOTE]

Glare issue for me is because I have a window directly in front of the monitor. I have a Nvidia card, but don't use the 3D. I know there is a way to get it to work, but haven't tried it. PC games on this monitor is really good as well.

[quote name='caltab']Haven't had any issues with the screen randomly going black? Don't have a nvidia graphics card or don't use it for pc 3d? No glare issues? If you plan on using it as a pc monitor and want to be able to use pc 3d there are better options out there.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately you are saying "pc" like it is a common ground and there are no other issues there. I doubt it is the monitor in this case as it is probably a driver issue of some sort. There is the difference between the PS3/360 gaming world and the PC. No drivers to worry about when hooking something up. On the PC you not only have the video card drivers, but the drivers for the monitor itself (I am making an assumption here that there are drivers for the monitor). I'm sure there are no issues at all with 3d drivers on the PC.

The good thing with the PS3 & 360 is that they will behave the same from display to display (millions of them will). On a PC you are fortunate if you get multiple machines with the same setup to perform similarly. You might, but not in the same magnitude. I've built gaming PC's for years and there is always some issue that nVidia or AMD/ATI is trying to fix/tweak with drivers.

My point is, if it was the monitor itself it would be doing it on a PS3 or 360 as well. If it does not, then there is a driver issue. I'm just doing the KISS method of troubleshooting here.

As for the monitor itself, it glares like a mirror when off in a bright room, but I really cannot notice it while playing. Maybe I would if I had my room brightly lit, but I play in either a dim or completely dark (sans video source) room.

Does this display count as a "gaming accessory" for the GC unlocked double points?
I know that would only be $10 in reward certificates, but still.

[quote name='jmbreci']Unfortunately you are saying "pc" like it is a common ground and there are no other issues there. I doubt it is the monitor in this case as it is probably a driver issue of some sort. There is the difference between the PS3/360 gaming world and the PC. No drivers to worry about when hooking something up. On the PC you not only have the video card drivers, but the drivers for the monitor itself (I am making an assumption here that there are drivers for the monitor). I'm sure there are no issues at all with 3d drivers on PC.[/QUOTE]

nvidia 3d does not support this display, so if you have an nvidia video card 3d will not work. As far as the random black screen, I don't have the monitor so I am only going off the numerous reports I've read of the problem. Ive actually read about the problem also happening on ps3s. I don't know if it's a bad batch or a bigger problem. People seem more likely to complain when there's a problem then comment their product works just fine, so it's difficult to tell how big or small a problem actually is. Also, people say Sony support is no help if you try connecting it to a non Sony product.

I bought one last sale price and I'm extremely happy with the purchase. I've tried the 3d on various games (crysis 2, uncharted 3) and loved the immersion. The glasses were quite uncomfortable at first but I have now got used to them. Or just stretched them out:) I went from a 47 inch to a 32 inch and now this display and absolutely love the size. As for those expecting it to hit 199......I highly doubt it. I understand this is a forum for cheap ass people but you should be ashamed of yourself. No but really.....just buy it

[quote name='Kendro']Is this better than a Dell IPS display? Not sure whether to return my U2412M if it can double as a computer monitor.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=320-2676[/QUOTE]

If you don't care about 3d and want to use it as a monitor the dell is way better. But, that u2412 at 16x10 will stretch the image if you hook up a ps3 to it. I actually just bought the u23, which is basically the same display but 16x9 and an inch smaller, it can play the ps3 normally. The 2412 is better if you don't want to hook up a ps3, otherwise I'd go with the 23. Although, i dont know how bad the stretched image really is, I haven't been able to find much info on it. Also, I don't know if it is still valid, but there was a 15 percent off dell monitor coupon if you buy it from dell business site last week.

Playing on a 16:10 screen with a 16:9 signal is gross, go for the U2312HM instead. The Sony display is not better than these IPS panels. The only thing it doesn't have is 3D.

[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']Ridiculous question but, anyone knows of this TV fits on a standard luggage? I plan to travel soon, so it would be nice to have a good TV with me.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea... but you are an awesome gamer for considering doing it.

i have the screen, only problem ive had is the minor glare but in the dark works awesome bought it at 299 and dont regret it, great picture

It was either this or the Kindle Fire. I picked the latter.

Yea and i'll wait for FREE......lol

I wonder how much it cost Sony to produce these things... I mean its certainly can't be cheap no matter how many Chinese they can find to put this together..

Its no wonder Sony is getting out of the TV business... due to cheap bastards not willing to support new innovations

I want to buy one only if I didn't already wore glasses. It was so uncomfortable wearing 3d glasses on top of my glasses.

These are a good deal at this price, but I returned mine. I think you have to be in the market for this size display, and not used to a higher quality set for it to be worthwhile. I bought it mainly for 3D as a secondary monitor since my main set is from right before 3D got popular, but found it was poor quality. I will wait and buy a much larger 3D set for ~$800 as a bedroom TV instead if I want 3D.

On this set, there was too much ghosting/crosstalk and dimness, which made the 3D more of a pain than enjoyable. The small size also limited the 3D experience. Even the included motorstorm game was a poor performer and made it hard to see ahead of you in some scenes. Like someone else said, it seemed like it took a few minutes for it to warm up to reduce ghosting a little, but it was never completely gone. I thought the speakers were great for the size, but not as deep as the marketing made it sound. I didn't have problems with the glasses other than dimness, and they seem to be more comfortable over glasses than by themselves. Styling of the set is great. I didn't have any problems with the glossy display.

There also appear to be differences in calibrations out of the box. I was able to have both on the same images right next to each other running off 2 ps3s. One of mine had default brightness settings that seemed about +5 over the other one and noticeable right edge light bleed, whereas the other didn't have the bleed as bad, but had a dead pixel. I think this is a lower end sony display, and not fitting for the original $500 price point that would suggest higher quality. I wonder which company actually makes these sets for Sony.

bread's done
Back