Sony PS3 60GB system $649 @ GameExpress.com (New/Used???)

my ps1/2 games look better on my ps3. i dont care if it technically only has the original picture to work with, but after hooking up the old ps2 and switching back and forth, its easy to see the ps3 displays them a little nicer.

[quote name='Stingercjc']I'm not sure what televisions the guys doing the comparisons are using or if they are professionally calibrated, but I can tell you right now that on my setup (55" Sony SXRD PS3 HDMI, PS2 component) that PS1 and PS2 games benefit greatly from upscaling and smoothing.

Yes, it does "blur" things a bit, but I like this look better than the more jaggy look it has upscaled through my TV when using a PS2. I also think the games look better in motion upscaled and smoothed on the PS3. When compared as still pictures the effect used to smooth the image is much more apparent.

I think you're mistaking your personal preference for actual fact. Some will like the upscaled and smoothed look, others won't. However, for the record, I have never noticed any kind of frame rate or performance boost when playing the games on my PS3. I'd like to see an example of this if anyone has a link.[/QUOTE]

I am not saying some people might LIKE the upscaling and smoothing options, I use it myself for some games. But it is technically impossible for the PS3 to make the games "better" in any way.

better is defined by improved. Slapping on AA post processing, or upscaling does not "improve" the original image. As already mentioned, HDTVs automatically upscale.

What is proven without a doubt is that images from a PS2 over component vs. images from a PS3 over component are not identical, even w/ smoothing/upscaling off.

So if the image is not identical, and the PS3 is not using software EMU, why isnt the PS3 image"better"

Because it is compromising the original image. If you do side by sides, you can clearly see that the PS3 adds in a bit of blur and "smoothing" even w/ upscaling/smoothing off. This results in ...

wait for it....

LOSS OF DETAIL.

If you think loss of detail is "better" thats ok, I wont argue that someone likes it more.

But the PS3 does not improve the image, it merely masks it.

Lipstick on a pig.

For the person who said his PS2 games now run at 60fps, that is a flat out lie, and clearly the "well I dont have any proof but you can't disprove" it nonsense argument is the same as people who believe in santa claus.

Its technically impossible for PS3 hardware emu to change the framerate of a game.

You can speed up disc loading, but thats about it. The framerates will NEVER change w/ hardware based emu.

If you think your PS1 games look better upscaled/smooted. Pop them in a PS2, guess what, PS2 also has smoothing options to toggle with.

If your PS2 and PS1 games look better w/ the PS3 upscaling on, thats only because the PS3 upscaling is better than your TV's upscaling chip. If that is the case, your TV's upscaling is sub par.

- no developer has ever stated its technically possible to improve framerates on a PS2 game w/ PS3 emu

- SCEA, Sony of American etc.. have never never stated its technically possible to improve framerates on a PS2 game w/ PS3 emu

- there is NO PROOF anywhere that it is even accidentally possible, or theoretically possible from any credible source. in fact no credible source even makes claims to such

- faster disc loading is possible due to the disc drive

- images are rendered at the same res, making it impossible to add in any detail
- since it is impossible to add detail, the differences between PS2 and PS3 images clearly means that the PS3 is CHANGING the image, and NOT ADDING DETAIL, what is the opposite of adding detail? LOSING DETAIL.

Rubbing vaslone on your sunglasses has the exact same effect, it removes jaggies.

- well known websites like IGN have published PS3 only exams of this, and always come to the same conclusion. If the game supports 480p native, it always looks better than PS3 upscaling.

- run the same game on the PS2 at 480p native, you get a better more crisp image every time

So yes, if you want less jaggies you can either dip your eyeglasses in vasoline, or turn on PS3 smoothing

If you think your PS2 games are going to magically run in 60fps when they run in 25fps now, you are only fooling yourself.

Notice how there are ZERO links to any proof of any of these "PS3 makes my PS2 games better"?

Now how about a side by side of PS2 and PS3 same game, same 1080p TV proving that the PS3 makes PS2 games have LESS DETAIL at any setting?

http://www.hdtvarcade.com/hdtvforum/index.php?showtopic=11408&hl=upscale

well what do you know, a thorough side by side proving that the PS3 gimps the image done at
PS2 480i, 480p, rare 1080i
vs
PS3 480-1080

the end result is always the same, for every game, 2D or 3D
PS3 makes PS2 games blurry, on any setting, every time.

People who like it better, thats ok, they like the "softer" image better, but the image itself is not improved, or better. It simply has less detail.

If the 60GB PS3 could actually display PS2 games in widescreen I could sort of understand the fuss but I don't even use my 60GB PS3 for PS1/2 games any more, I just use my PS2 and a old 480P TV.

I can definitely, without a doubt, verify that gameexpress is legit and the 60gb is new. :D

Story time!

So the used 60gb from gamestop was canceled by them (it's still listed as in stock, poo on them!). Decided to get it from gameexpress but because I read earlier that they had brick and mortar shops I decided to look it up. Found 3 in new york but to my surprise I found one in Jersey that was only 8 miles from my house. Called them up, asked if they had a 60gb, they said ya, asked when they closed, they said 6pm (I thought that was odd) but I decided to rush over there in the rain.

I didn't notice something was wrong until we were at the place...the industrial district of LittleFerry, NJ...surrounded by UPS trucks. Doh. It was their shipping center. Still, I walked in, as soon as I mentioned I had called the guy in charge of gameexpress popped up, laughed at me thinking this was a shop and then he rang me up a 60gb. Also saw their stock while I was there, I had never seen so many games. The guy was very nice about it and told me that their B&M shops are in NY. Still, I got my 60gb - and even though I bought it at a silly price I'm happy. This is what I get for clinging onto PS2 games and waiting so long to get a PS3. (I've been looking all over for one with a warranty for a month now).

As an added note: In addition to being able to play Soul Reaver (which my PS2 slim couldn't) the games also looks much better when upscaled on the PS3 as opposed to how the PS2 made them look (somehow worse than if played on a regular tv). A shame I had to pay as much as I did just to make the PS2/1 games look better. Well, time to sell my slim. Thanks to the topic creator! :D

[quote name='Kanik']I can definitely, without a doubt, verify that gameexpress is legit and the 60gb is new. :D

Story time!

So the used 60gb from gamestop was canceled by them (it's still listed as in stock, poo on them!). Decided to get it from gameexpress but because I read earlier that they had brick and mortar shops I decided to look it up. Found 3 in new york but to my surprise I found one in Jersey that was only 8 miles from my house. Called them up, asked if they had a 60gb, they said ya, asked when they closed, they said 6pm (I thought that was odd) but I decided to rush over there in the rain.

I didn't notice something was wrong until we were at the place...the industrial district of LittleFerry, NJ...surrounded by UPS trucks. Doh. It was their shipping center. Still, I walked in, as soon as I mentioned I had called the guy in charge of gameexpress popped up, laughed at me thinking this was a shop and then he rang me up a 60gb. Also saw their stock while I was there, I had never seen so many games. The guy was very nice about it and told me that their B&M shops are in NY. Still, I got my 60gb - and even though I bought it at a silly price I'm happy. This is what I get for clinging onto PS2 games and waiting so long to get a PS3. (I've been looking all over for one with a warranty for a month now).

As an added note: In addition to being able to play Soul Reaver (which my PS2 slim couldn't) the games also looks much better when upscaled on the PS3 as opposed to how the PS2 made them look (somehow worse than if played on a regular tv). A shame I had to pay as much as I did just to make the PS2/1 games look better. Well, time to sell my slim. Thanks to the topic creator! :D[/QUOTE]

;) No prob!

thanks for the info expane. That pretty much settles my decision between a 40 gb and an 80 gb. I was contemplating on the 80 gb because of the upscaling of ps2 games, but your info shows that it's much much better to run games off the original hardware it was intended to be used on. I can just pick up a 40GB model in the near future and just upgrade that with a bigger harddrive from an off the shelf notebook drives they sell at fry's/best buy.

[quote name='Alucard400']thanks for the info expane. That pretty much settles my decision between a 40 gb and an 80 gb. I was contemplating on the 80 gb because of the upscaling of ps2 games, but your info shows that it's much much better to run games off the original hardware it was intended to be used on. I can just pick up a 40GB model in the near future and just upgrade that with a bigger harddrive from an off the shelf notebook drives they sell at fry's/best buy.[/QUOTE]

Note that those are high res up close shots. Depending on the size of your TV, and whether or not its 1080p it is up to the viewers

As others have mentioned they like the softer look of the PS3 output, so much so they assume the upscaling is "better" than the TV upscaling (in some cases of bad TV upscaling chips, this can be true)

Personally I run both my PS2 and my PS3 for PS2 games, depending on the game. For me the clincher is the PS3 virtual memory cards. I run all my PSone games on the PS3 for that reason, and quite frankly many of the PS2 games I play don't look that great to begin with, so slight blurring from the PS3 is not a deal breaker

Its just not what I had hoped for. I was dreaming of a Halo 2 type BC where the games would be re-rendered natively at 720p and 16x9.... a dream that never came true ;)

bread's done
Back