Sony PWNED during a recent Blu-Ray demo...

Yeah...I dont believe it...if it was indeed truly done by Sony would anyone have been able to get close enough to open the disc drive? Also, I doubt that they would use a DVD that looks like its been dragged across the street with "house of flying daggers" handwritten on it.

EDIT: Also, that isnt even a Sony brand DVD...you'd think they would use their brand instead of going out and buying some Verbatim brand ones... :roll:

It seems like a lot of shit has happened in the game industry lately. Assassin's Creed on Xbox 360, Wii games on GameCube, and now this. Whew.

I calling not bullshit on this one, but a big fuck up on Sony. Why would someone from pc magazine risk their job and a lawsuit just to be a push their own personal agenda? A DVD could hold 20 min or so of HD video and that is all they would need.

[quote name='chakan']Does this give the MPAA an opening to sue the shit out of Sony?

http://www.mpaa.org/ReportPiracy.asp[/quote]

yea when sony owns the rights to it.

And this article seems pretty fake theres two laptops. I am sure there were two playing the exact same movie to show the difference between blu-ray and dvd. The author of the article only ejects the left one which could have been the dvd and never attempted to eject the left one.

El oh el!

Seriously though, I favor Blu-Ray due the capacity, other wise I care for neither format, but thing like this make me lose faith in Sony's format. Still funny though.

As much as I think these HD formats are bullshit due to the digital rights crap and complications as to how to actually get HD quality from a player to a TV (seeing as how 1080p isn't even the HD standard yet, it's still 1080i)... I too think this story might be fake.

If it was such a big media event, then wouldn't some other major technology site have noticed that too? I mean, I'm sure a lot of people were wonder what the Blu-Ray disc looked like, how it loaded, et cetera?

Bigger pictures don't much, and both sites have the same pictures...

I'd really want to hear Sony's side of this befor epassing judgement. Considering how readily stuff magically disappears at these events, I could understand if preferred to demo on cheap media instead of a real Blu-Ray disc.

i mean there is a huge blue ray logo on the laptop with the dvd inside of it lol. Sony why are you doing this? they had control of the market the last two generations to let it all go for some extra cash...

from that site:
"Update: To be honest, we never thought this one would take off the way it has, but it looks like we underestimated the forensic skills of the collective. The latest word is that someone claiming to be from Sony has posted a comment on Gearlog saying that there were two laptops, one with the DVD-R of "House of Flying Daggers," and the other with the Blu-ray version, so that folks could make a side-by-side comparison. Gearlog's reporter apparently popped the latch on the DVD version, and didn't check the Blu-ray one. We have no way to independently verify this version (or Gearlog's original take), though Notebook Review does have some pics clearly showing two laptops on display at the Sony shindig. All of this leads us to one conclusion: Next time, Sony should just invite us to their parties, and we'll get it straight. And we may even like the tinfoil-flavored cake, too."

Well, there you have it... that seems like a reasonable explination.

But if anything, that just proves that you can't tell the difference between Blu-Ray and DVD.:lol:

[quote name='Vinny']Well, there you have it... that seems like a reasonable explination.

But if anything, that just proves that you can't tell the difference between Blu-Ray and DVD.:lol:[/QUOTE]

:lol: I figured that Sony couldn't possibly be that boneheaded. It's still a humorous scenario though, and you speak the truth.

[quote name='dastly75']from that site:
"Update: To be honest, we never thought this one would take off the way it has, but it looks like we underestimated the forensic skills of the collective. The latest word is that someone claiming to be from Sony has posted a comment on Gearlog saying that there were two laptops, one with the DVD-R of "House of Flying Daggers," and the other with the Blu-ray version, so that folks could make a side-by-side comparison. Gearlog's reporter apparently popped the latch on the DVD version, and didn't check the Blu-ray one. We have no way to independently verify this version (or Gearlog's original take), though Notebook Review does have some pics clearly showing two laptops on display at the Sony shindig. All of this leads us to one conclusion: Next time, Sony should just invite us to their parties, and we'll get it straight. And we may even like the tinfoil-flavored cake, too."[/quote]

WOW HOLY SHIT AM I fuckING PSYCHIC OR WHAT? LOOK ABOVE AT WHAT I SAID

Sony is going UNDER.. They are losing in every market they are in now. TVs, Camcorders, MP3, VCRs, PCs, UMD, Music and Movies... The Game division is their last hope.

The Japanese banks are keeping Sony a float but people in the finance industry are predicting Sony will go under unless they are bought by a bigger company

[quote name='BodyShot213']Sony is going UNDER.. They are losing in every market they are in now. TVs, Camcorders, MP3, VCRs, PCs, UMD, Music and Movies... The Game division is their last hope.

The Japanese banks are keeping Sony a float but people in the finance industry are predicting Sony will go under unless they are bought by a bigger company[/quote]

Sources please?

[quote name='jer7583']Blu ray is dumb[/QUOTE]
Thank you oh intelligent one for this highly insightful and needed post...

With that being said...ignore list +1

[quote name='dtarasev']Sources please?[/quote]

There are countless articles in the past that suggest their economic woes. PS2 basically was their bread and butter for the last few years. Someone who has vast knowlegde or past links should be around here to give you some links.

It's funny that even the Japanese are buying IPODs over Sony MP3s.

[quote name='BodyShot213']Sony is going UNDER.. They are losing in every market they are in now. TVs, Camcorders, MP3, VCRs, PCs, UMD, Music and Movies... The Game division is their last hope.

The Japanese banks are keeping Sony a float but people in the finance industry are predicting Sony will go under unless they are bought by a bigger company[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but unless you have proof of that I'm calling BS. They might not be doing as well as they would like, but are far from going under. Their TV's sell like hot cakes.

[quote name='m0dem']WOW HOLY SHIT AM I fuckING PSYCHIC OR WHAT? LOOK ABOVE AT WHAT I SAID[/quote]

mekka lekka hi mekka hiney ho! mekka lekka hi mekka johnny ho! :lol:

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2005/08/26/afx2192968.html

Thats not a good sign plus they are rumored to be 60 billion in debt with interest rates rising.. There are countless material if you guys are into the finance industry.

"International credit rating agency Standard & Poor's Ratings Services earlier this month placed its 'A' long-term and 'A-1' short-term credit ratings on Sony on CreditWatch with negative implications after the consumer electronics giant cut its profit forecast for the year to March 2006. " = BAD sign.

In their other industries they are selling and merging with other companies. The end is near if PS3 isnt a huge success.

OMG! A crappy picture of a copied DVD in a laptop CD drive! THIS SO OWNS SONY!!!!!!!!

Are you fucking retarded? I could make that exact same picture being that I have a laptop and blank DVDs. The shot of the disk is so tight that you can't even identify the brand of PC. All this does prove is that anyone going ROFFLE SONI ARE SUCK is just an idiot.

[quote name='Kayden']OMG! A crappy picture of a copied DVD in a laptop CD drive! THIS SO OWNS SONY!!!!!!!!

Are you fucking retarded? I could make that exact same picture being that I have a laptop and blank DVDs. The shot of the disk is so tight that you can't even identify the brand of PC. All this does prove is that anyone going ROFFLE SONI ARE SUCK is just an idiot.[/QUOTE]
Fanboy :roll:

Of course anything that makes sony look bad is real you stupid moran.

[quote name='dastly75']from that site:
"Update: To be honest, we never thought this one would take off the way it has, but it looks like we underestimated the forensic skills of the collective. The latest word is that someone claiming to be from Sony has posted a comment on Gearlog saying that there were two laptops, one with the DVD-R of "House of Flying Daggers," and the other with the Blu-ray version, so that folks could make a side-by-side comparison. Gearlog's reporter apparently popped the latch on the DVD version, and didn't check the Blu-ray one. We have no way to independently verify this version (or Gearlog's original take), though Notebook Review does have some pics clearly showing two laptops on display at the Sony shindig. All of this leads us to one conclusion: Next time, Sony should just invite us to their parties, and we'll get it straight. And we may even like the tinfoil-flavored cake, too."[/quote]

Its fake look what dastly said please lock this topic and change the name. Thanks!

[quote name='Kayden']OMG! A crappy picture of a copied DVD in a laptop CD drive! THIS SO OWNS SONY!!!!!!!!

Are you fucking retarded? I could make that exact same picture being that I have a laptop and blank DVDs. The shot of the disk is so tight that you can't even identify the brand of PC. All this does prove is that anyone going ROFFLE SONI ARE SUCK is just an idiot.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty clear that some of you completely missed what the original story was..

OP just posted the info as he found it. The linked website (which linked to another website) posted info saying Sony was using a regular DVD to show off Blu-Ray quality movies. The fact is, the original source was mistaken but those pictures are not fakes! Sony really did have a regular ass DVD+R in one of their laptops... it just wasn't the one with the Blu-Ray versio movie.:lol:

ROFFLE SONI ARE SUCK!1!!

Wait.... damnit. You have to admit that it is funny that Sony is using another brand of DVD-Rs though. No faith in their own product?

[quote name='BodyShot213']http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2005/08/26/afx2192968.html

Thats not a good sign plus they are rumored to be 60 billion in debt with interest rates rising.. There are countless material if you guys are into the finance industry.

"International credit rating agency Standard & Poor's Ratings Services earlier this month placed its 'A' long-term and 'A-1' short-term credit ratings on Sony on CreditWatch with negative implications after the consumer electronics giant cut its profit forecast for the year to March 2006. " = BAD sign.

In their other industries they are selling and merging with other companies. The end is near if PS3 isnt a huge success.[/QUOTE]

Cutting profit forcasts is not the end of a company as you see it. You might want to post your resume on monster.com asap, because I bet there are tons of companies that want a CEO that says "fuck it we are going under" when they make less PROFITS than they wanted to.

I got all that as well. Either way, its still a shitty shot that proves nothing. Its funny because these sites have their heads so far up their ass, but even then, only so because its so sad.

[quote name='Vinny']It's pretty clear that some of you completely missed what the original story was..

OP just posted the info as he found it. The linked website (which linked to another website) posted info saying Sony was using a regular DVD to show off Blu-Ray quality movies. The fact is, the original source was mistaken but those pictures are not fakes! Sony really did have a regular ass DVD+R in one of their laptops... it just wasn't the one with the Blu-Ray versio movie.:lol:[/quote]

bread's done
Back