sony rep: price drop and backwards compatibility coming soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for posting this I know I read about some reports that Sony was doing software emulation like the 360 it was never hyped up and kept very quite but this has been floating out there for almost a year, and now this adds more legitimacy and breathes new life into the debtae.

My guess is based on what Sony did with the PSP-Go and has traditionally done with "Slim" systems

is make it 120GB and add Full BC for $399 but blow out the 80GB SKU for $299

I hope that the update doesn't screw something up with the already BC PS3s (both the hardware and software emulation ones). I own an original 20gb with the hardware in it and I'd hate for something to screw the existing BC up.

I just hope the BC update fixes God of War 2, which I played on a buddies MGS4 PS3 which has "limited" BC, Sony's site says God of War 2 has problems and no bugs.

But when you play the game there are No Character Shadows, no Object Shadows, and no effect lighting or illumination

So be carefull when Sony's says "full" or complete backwards compatability

That being said the Gamescon Conference is in 5 Days, we know the PS3 will drop to $299 I personally might just head on over to Best Buy tomorrow and see if I can score a MGS4 Killzone 2 Bundle for $399 and get the Price match in a few days.

But it will be hard to find that SKU

its so easy to emulate the ps2 with the ps3s power, im suprised sony hasnt come out with a emulator yet. i bet if the ps3 had been exploited by now, homebrew devs would have already released a ps2 emulator for the ps3

[quote name='wwe101']its so easy to emulate the ps2 with the ps3s power, im suprised sony hasnt come out with a emulator yet. i bet if the ps3 had been exploited by now, homebrew devs would have already released a ps2 emulator for the ps3[/QUOTE]

wasn't Mana Knight harping on the reason it was so hard to emulate was becuase of the 4 MB of embedded memory and it being some insane speed that still isn't even really standard yet?

@wwe101

That is why I think Sony patented the emulation-- to keep someone else from doing it 1st.

[quote name='mtxbass1']A Sony rep who talked to a random gamestop employee, posted on a random blog.

Yep. Sounds legit.[/QUOTE]
This. Nothing here folks. Just carry on and wait until GamesCom for official news.

[quote name='mtxbass1']A Sony rep who talked to a random gamestop employee, posted on a random blog.

I concur. I've yet to cross a competent gamestop employee, I'm sure a few exist, but I have yet to find the end of a rainbow.

I once asked a gamestop employee if they carried the Nyko perfect shot, he promptly and arrogantly pronounced that such a device did not exist and that if anyone would know it was him.... I was looking to buy my second.

It's just another blog desperately looking for clicks for ad revenue and a chance for something to put on his resume.

Just ignore it because honestly, he has nothing to lose by posting thing. It gets him more clicks, and if he's wrong he can say it was just a rumor, then pop up somewhere else.

Don't care how they do it. Just find a way to put it on my 80GB PS3 so I don't have to buy another PS2 and separate cables.

[quote name='Paco']wasn't Mana Knight harping on the reason it was so hard to emulate was becuase of the 4 MB of embedded memory and it being some insane speed that still isn't even really standard yet?[/QUOTE]
I thought the major issue had to do with syncing up the Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer with each other. Either way, it seems like emulating the PS2 hardware is insanely complicated; it's not just a matter of throwing a bunch of horsepower at the problem. It would be awesome if Sony's managed to get it up and running on the PS3.

Backwards Compatibility coming soon eh? I've had it for years! 60 gig PS3 is the only way to go. Anything else, and you're just paying more for less.

all im saying is that if regular people can make a ps2 emulator on pc on their own time, why cant sony create one for their own product that they know best?

[quote name='wwe101']all im saying is that if regular people can make a ps2 emulator on pc on their own time, why cant sony create one for their own product that they know best?[/QUOTE]

Because people who do it on their own do it for fun and aren't on a budget. Corporations are paying those engineers. So nothing will get done, unless there is profit to be made. Sony was probably caught by surprise that PS2 game sales are still good, so they are playing catch up to make the PS3 more inviting.

[quote name='mogamer']Because people who do it on their own do it for fun and aren't on a budget. Corporations are paying those engineers. So nothing will get done, unless there is profit to be made. Sony was probably caught by surprise that PS2 game sales are still good, so they are playing catch up to make the PS3 more inviting.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you're connecting here has anything to do with the decision. Removing compatibility was done to cut costs. Programming an emulator is directly correlated to profit, via selling PS2 and PS1 games on PSN and physical software sales. They're doing it to add to the bottom line, period, with those revenue streams, which would die off otherwise.

I still have my PS2 and play on it regularly. People always talk about BC.. but is it really hard to just snag a PS2 for $99 somewhere?

[quote name='Ronin317']I'm not sure what you're connecting here has anything to do with the decision. Removing compatibility was done to cut costs. Programming an emulator is directly correlated to profit, via selling PS2 and PS1 games on PSN and physical software sales. They're doing it to add to the bottom line, period, with those revenue streams, which would die off otherwise.[/QUOTE]

What I'm saying (maybe badly) is that Sony didn't want to spend the money for BC because they were thinking that PS2 game sales wouldn't be enough to worry about investing money in. But the PS2 is still pretty popular, so they're going to try to get more PS3 buyers by re-offering PS2 BC.

[quote name='mis0']I still have my PS2 and play on it regularly. People always talk about BC.. but is it really hard to just snag a PS2 for $99 somewhere?[/QUOTE]
No, but it can be the hassle if you don't have the space for it. I had to move my PS2 simply because I don't have the space to keep it in my room. Now I'm less likely to use the thing since most of my game time is reserved for early morning or late night.

Also, the PS3 can upscale, and can't you use the HDD to store saved games?....that's worth the price right there, rather than mucking around finding the right memory card that has space for your games.

I hate how clunky the BC is on the PS3. It was so much better on the PS2. It just doesn't feel as smooth on the PS3. I'm not talking about games skipping or not working, I'm talking about the controller screen, loading up the game, quitting the game, etc. It just doesn't feel right.

So a Sony rep "dropped" in to a random EB/GS and decided to let their employee in on the never before announced news that BC is coming back to the system.

Stop the presses!

[quote name='Blackout']I hate how clunky the BC is on the PS3. It was so much better on the PS2. It just doesn't feel as smooth on the PS3. I'm not talking about games skipping or not working, I'm talking about the controller screen, loading up the game, quitting the game, etc. It just doesn't feel right.[/QUOTE]

... What? Okay, I won't even ask you what's wrong with them... simply, what were you expecting?

Quitting the game is as simple as pressing the home button and choosing "QUIT GAME". Sorry, was that too hard for you?

Also, loading speed is the same as PS2... sure you didn't drop your ps3 from the roof of your building or something?

I think it's absolutely fine. I kinda don't like that you dont have the XMB when you press the home button, but it's not like you need that anyway. You can change the graphical options, controller options, and memory card options when you press the home button. BC for PS3 is better than the freakin PS2 itself.

[quote name='Crnulus']... What? Okay, I won't even ask you what's wrong with them... simply, what were you expecting?

Quitting the game is as simple as pressing the home button and choosing "QUIT GAME". Sorry, was that too hard for you?

Also, loading speed is the same as PS2... sure you didn't drop your ps3 from the roof of your building or something?

I think it's absolutely fine. I kinda don't like that you dont have the XMB when you press the home button, but it's not like you need that anyway. You can change the graphical options, controller options, and memory card options when you press the home button. BC for PS3 is better than the freakin PS2 itself.[/QUOTE]

I pretty much botched my explanation. Loading up a game takes a good 30-45 seconds. Quitting a game and going back to the XMB is the same thing. Every time you put a game in or quit you have to hit the PS button for some reason. I also don't like how it signs you out of PSN.

I always throw my PS3 off my roof every Friday Night. Gets all the dust right out. BC is not better on the PS3. All my PS1 games worked fine on the PS2. I can't say the same for my PS2 games and the PS3. :)

[quote name='Blackout']I pretty much botched my explanation. Loading up a game takes a good 30-45 seconds. Quitting a game and going back to the XMB is the same thing. Every time you put a game in or quit you have to hit the PS button for some reason. I also don't like how it signs you out of PSN.

I always throw my PS3 off my roof every Friday Night. Gets all the dust right out. BC is not better on the PS3. All my PS1 games worked fine on the PS2. I can't say the same for my PS2 games and the PS3. :)[/QUOTE]

99% of the games work on the 60gb version with rare exceptions like Barbie and the knightz or some crap like that :p

the 80gb (older) version, I believe its somewhere around 97% anyway not many games not work on the BC ps3s.

But yeah I agree about the pressing home button after starting a game, kinda weird. However, I have never faced any issues loading games AFAIK. Maybe it's just your PS3? dunno..

If you saw my PS3 you'd probably think it was buried in a tomb for a 1000 years. So much dust :cool:

[quote name='Crnulus']

But yeah I agree about the pressing home button after starting a game, kinda weird. However, I have never faced any issues loading games AFAIK. Maybe it's just your PS3? dunno..

If you saw my PS3 you'd probably think it was buried in a tomb for a 1000 years. So much dust :cool:[/QUOTE]

I hope it's not just my PS3. All the stuff I mentioned gets annoying after popping in 3 or 4 PS2/PS1 games into the system.

[quote name='mis0']I still have my PS2 and play on it regularly. People always talk about BC.. but is it really hard to just snag a PS2 for $99 somewhere?[/QUOTE]

See the name of the site? CHEAPassgamer. Paying $100 for something that Sony could've kept in, while eliminating other garbage from the PS3 is NOT being a cheapass. Besides which, I'll just get a USED PS2 from Craigslist and Sony can kiss my ass. They're not making another dime off of me.

[quote name='Blackout']I hope it's not just my PS3. All the stuff I mentioned gets annoying after popping in 3 or 4 PS2/PS1 games into the system.[/QUOTE]

Well, there's your problem right there. You're supposed to be playing only ONE game at a time, not trying to play 3-4 of them. :lol: Sorry, I had to. :razz:

What if we all cross our fingers and will it to be true? So how soon will Kotaku to run this? I give them about 3 hours.

[quote name='Crnulus']... What? Okay, I won't even ask you what's wrong with them... simply, what were you expecting?[/QUOTE]
The thing thats wrong with BC on the current PS3 models that have it is that when in BC mode, it buffers 3 frames of video, regardless of model or output. That means you've got 50ms of input lag generated from the PS3 itself, before even getting to the video processing lag of your HDTV. Most people dont notice except for fighting/schmup/music game enthusiasts.

Furthermore, I dont believe there is compelling reason for them to have added that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll believe it when its announced because the truth is although this may be coming, I don't believe a low level sony sales support rep told a gamestop goon this information. Hell after calling both sony and gamestop to get info on the dissidia psp bundle which has been announced gamestop told me to call sony and sony told me they dont discuss unannounced products lol and this was like 3 days ago. I highly doubt there that well informed when they don't even have a clue about exisiting products.

I don't know about the plausibility of this post, but I love the news if it is right. Backwards Compatibility for the win.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']That means you've got 50ms of input lag generated from the PS3 itself, before even getting to the video processing lag of your HDTV.[/QUOTE]

That's great and all, but what about those of us who are still gaming on SDtv's? So then WE only have to put up with the 'input lag', right?

I can put up with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back