Sony Starts PSP Spot Download Stations

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
Today Sony unveiled several new marketing campaigns designed to extend the momentum of its handheld system, the PlayStation Portable, into 2007. Among these new efforts is a television ad campaign titled "Find Me," an online marketing campaign, and the presence new PSP Spot Download Stations at select retailers.

"The PSP system has already been established as a popular gaming handheld, but it was designed to do so much more -- from playing music and videos to sharing photos and accessing the Internet," said Peter Dille of SCEA. "These marketing initiatives deliver the broader PSP brand message and offer PSP owners the entertainment experience they're thirsting for from a content perspective. We're excited that these new efforts place a spotlight on the PSP system by delivering value to existing PSP owners and reaching new audiences at a time when gift-givers are looking for what's hot in entertainment."

Of particular interest are the PSP Spot Download Stations. Beginning this month, consumers can take their PSP system to participating retailers, and download gaming and entertainment content directly to their PSP system. The list of retailers participating in this campaign includes Circuit City, GameStop, Target, and Toys "R" Us. These interactive kiosks will offer game demos, movie trailers, music clips, mini-strategy guides, wallpapers and more.

Currently the available demos include Outrun, Worms, Dungeon Seige, MLB 2006, Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins, Lumines 2, Every Extend Extra, RAce Driver 2006, and Daxter with more coming in the future months. By January 2007, PSP Spot Download Stations will be available at more than 6,000 retail locations across North America.
Link.

I'm very happy Sony is doing this. I'll definitely be taking my PSP out more often, because I'd love to try out these games to see if I should buy them. This is excellent news indeed. :D

This may sound crazy, but why not present a website with these demos on it?!?!? I mean, I know it's much easier for people to take their PSPs into Best Buy rather than using, I don't know, their home wireless connections.

Genius, pure genius.

Agree with you there.

Bottom line Sony needs to offer MORE demos! I might they have a great way to bring them to the consumer via WiFi. I mean how cool would it be if there was a demo for EVERY game released? How great would that be to be able to demo a game before purchasing it? I think it would be a groundbreaking badass idea. More demos is something to me that seems like an obvious descision to help people get excited about PSP software.

... Sony is a buisness. Its all about the money man. Think of the marketing bucks they can make making deals with companies to do this.

And dang, Sony has more demos then anyone but we keep drooling for more.

If this is the same technology that they demo'd at E3 then we may not like it all that much. The demos that Sony had available at E3 would expire once you turned off the system (not standby mode). I certainly hope they listened to the feedback and changed the download system to allow us to keep/play the demos as long as we'd like.

I think Sony is mostly thinking, when people are at Target, CC, etc., they'll be looking at PSP games and trying to decide what to buy. Before buying, games can be tested, to see which they like, and then they can buy it.

I think the demos may be timed, like at E3 and TGS, because there's a good chance they'd be posted on the internet, which they may or may not want.

Sounds lame to me....I mean, who wants to bring their PSP to CC or TRU and look like a tool waiting to download a demo. I'm sure they will be available somewhere on the web eventually.

I rather NOT bring my 250 USD handheld which is as big as hell into public. Why not just add the Playstation Store to the PSP?!

My local GameStop is the only place in town that has a download spot so far. I've checked the local Best Buys, Circuit Citys, EB games, none of them have it. The crappy thing is that the demo PSP at the download spot has been destroyed by snot-nosed little heathens that are much better suited to slamming their DS into the floor on a daily basis. Woe is me.

bread's done
Back