Sony store 32gb vita memory card $79.99 free shipping

[quote name='steveliv']Sony did not do what they did to rip off consumers, they did it so the Vita would survive in the marketplace.

Two separate things happening here...

#1: They switched to proprietary memory cards to prevent piracy on the Vita. Piracy was rampant on the PSP. The proprietary cards plus the proprietary file system of the Vita keeps the pirates at bay for the foreseeable future at least, so that devs/publishers can make some money and are not scared away.

#2: All Vita Games are available as digital downloads, which doesn't make any profits for retailers. In order to persuade retailers to carry the Vita and Games, etc, the memory cards have from a 40% to 50% markup which is profit for the retailers. They make money when people buy physical games, and they make some money when people buy cards to put downloads on.[/QUOTE]

1. And I care why? If these cards are so great at preventing piracy, Sony should be subsidizing them.
2. Source? Because high-margin items tend to be what go on sale on Black Friday for example. Not a single vita memory card deal.

Got a 32GB card from eBay last week for $80 free shipping, had absolutely no problem paying it. I don't mind throwing support behind Sony and the Vita, because it's a nice little system with a lot of potential. It's shameful that the piracy that ravaged the PSP made them paranoid and cost them a lot of third party confidence.

I'll pick one up if it ever gets to $70 after tax with free shipping. It was priced that way on Amazon a few months ago and I was thinking they were going to continue dropping the price. Will pick up 32GB if it gets that cheap again.

[quote name='megma42']It is sad that this is considered a deal for a 32GB card.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. This is all classic Sony and their proprietary formats. A 32GB Sandisk microSD HC Class 10 UHS-1 card which is about the same size as a Vita card is $25!

Sadly I may buy it anyway thanks to AmEx, but F Sony.

This isn't even really a deal is it? I could swear it was ~$76 on amazon for a long time...I think it just shot up in price after black friday to take advantage of all the vita bundles sold.

I saw this deal and bought it. I cashed in 5600 points from my Sony visa card which brought the final price down to $26 shipped. At least I don't feel ripped off by paying so much for a memory card. Can't wait for it so I can download Uncharted among others from the PS store.

I got lucky and got mine when Tigerdirect was selling for $40. Now my brother is going to need one since he's getting a Vita for Christmas. Really hope the price goes down soon.

[quote name='steveliv']The prices will not drop that drastically due to the fact that the majority of the markup goes to the retailer not Sony. Any discounts will occur on a retailer by retailer basis, since the price drops reduce the profit they make.[/QUOTE]

That would be incorrect. There is a VERY small margin on videogames for retailers. They don't make their money on games and consoles, they make it on accessories.

[quote name='berzirk']That would be incorrect. There is a VERY small margin on videogames for retailers. They don't make their money on games and consoles, they make it on accessories.[/QUOTE]

i am referring only to the vita memory cards. retailers receive the majority of the markup on those. sony did this to ensure that retailers would carry the vita, games, and accessories.

Good god, NO ONE who has the Vita should be defending these memory card prices because the system WILL fail like the Game Gear unless the prices come down, drastically.

Once again, as someone who bought the 32GB for 99.99, I am not upset by the price of the card. It's the fact that the digital download games are never on sale and routinely cost $15-$20 more than the physical copy of the game that pisses me off. I can buy NFS: Most wanted for 19.99 from origin or download it onto my $100 memory card for 39.99 on the PSN? That's obnoxious.

[quote name='bgame2']Once again, as someone who bought the 32GB for 99.99, I am not upset by the price of the card. It's the fact that the digital download games are never on sale and routinely cost $15-$20 more than the physical copy of the game that pisses me off. I can buy NFS: Most wanted for 19.99 from origin or download it onto my $100 memory card for 39.99 on the PSN? That's obnoxious.[/QUOTE]

that has always been how it is on consoles. Their pricing is not as frequently updated as steam and the often do not and cannot have crazy sales like steam since it would piss off retailers.

That has always been the bonuses of buying physical the last few years.

Physical: Save HDD space (unless HDD install required). Save price due to retailer pricing. Have to deal with a physical game. Can be resold.
Digital: Convenience (Can get game instantly and 24hrs a day). Have to deal with overpricing typically compared to physical games. Need HDD space and a fast connection since games are getting huge.

I think with the vita physical games are much much more valuable to the consumer do to the limited storage space. Right now every Vito owners needs a 4gb just to save games. And Every Vita owner with PS+ needs more to take advantage of the free PS+ games. I think if PS+ didn't come around on vita a lot of people would not be looking for vita mem cards as they are right now.

Sony was brilliant to add PS+ to vita, not only to get people to go get a vita to get these free games, but now every PS+ vita owner feels compelled to get more storage space. They created a huge market for their proprietary memory cards by doing this.

This leads to an issue. The demand is high and people are willing to bite the bullet and pay a high overage because right now its all you can do if you want the space. if this continues then Sony will have no reason to drop the prices. I wonder what the sales will stabilize to after the BF/holiday vita rush ends. Hoping to upgrade my 16gb to at least a 32 in jan/feb.

Do they sell PSN cards in the B&M Sony stores? I can't find them in the online store and I'm trying to push the total to $100 for the AmEx deal. Not really anything else I'd want to pay MSRP for.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='steveliv']i am referring only to the vita memory cards. retailers receive the majority of the markup on those. sony did this to ensure that retailers would carry the vita, games, and accessories.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, gotcha. I misunderstood. I don't know for sure about memory cards, but I would assume you're right.

[quote name='steveliv']Sony did not do what they did to rip off consumers, they did it so the Vita would survive in the marketplace.

Two separate things happening here...

#1: They switched to proprietary memory cards to prevent piracy on the Vita. Piracy was rampant on the PSP. The proprietary cards plus the proprietary file system of the Vita keeps the pirates at bay for the foreseeable future at least, so that devs/publishers can make some money and are not scared away.

#2: All Vita Games are available as digital downloads, which doesn't make any profits for retailers. In order to persuade retailers to carry the Vita and Games, etc, the memory cards have from a 40% to 50% markup which is profit for the retailers. They make money when people buy physical games, and they make some money when people buy cards to put downloads on.[/QUOTE]
:bs:

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Still $40 too much.

Precisely.

Too bad someone has been running rampant in that company.[/QUOTE]
I would have bought a vita already if it had built in memory or came with a decent sized memory card 16gb.

I guess people complaining about Vita memory card prices must like hearing themselves talk, because it's always been this way with accessories for all systems and it always will. Remember when Microsoft debuted their 120 GB hard drive for a whopping $180??? Just shows that Sony has been paying attention...

thanks for this thread!!

i had 59.xx worth of points, so ended up getting

32 gig card
persona 4 golden
zero's last escape

for $75.xx and free shipping (includes 25 amex sync)

WOW.

[quote name='affa']thanks for this thread!!

i had 59.xx worth of points, so ended up getting

32 gig card
persona 4 golden
zero's last escape

for $75.xx and free shipping (includes 25 amex sync)

WOW.[/QUOTE]

woah.. that's pretty insane.
hmm how do you get these points anyway, seems like the trade-off is good

[quote name='wilflare']woah.. that's pretty insane.
hmm how do you get these points anyway, seems like the trade-off is good[/QUOTE]

i don't know if they still do it, but there used to be like 3 or 4 easy things to do every day that earned points. answer a trivia question, that sort of thing. my wife and i did it for a couple months before we got bored and earned a ton of points (the $60 worth we still had was leftover from previous purchases).

i don't know if they still do any of the points programs... maybe someone else will know. it was easy stuff, just a bit annoying to have to click around every day.

Sony Store has a "Buy a 100 e-card and get a $20 e-card" promo going on right now with the following terms:

Promotion Terms & Details
For every $100 worth of Sony eGift Cards purchased, the purchaser receives a $20 Sony eGift Card.
The Sony eGift Card may not be redeemed or consolidated with other card, offers or coupons.
Sony eGift Cards can be purchased in any denomination from $25-$500.
Offer ends December 29, 2012.

I don't see any mention in the Amex $25 credit for $100 purchase sync promo that says you can't buy gift cards to qualify? You could buy the gift card and then use it to buy the Vita card but this would only be a good deal if there were more things you wanted to buy since you would end up with an extra $40ish after the memory card purchase.

Best Buy is doing 20% off all Vita accessories this week, making the 32gb card 79.99 as well. I know many of us have Best Buy credit to unload.

All the "I won't buy to $50" people how did so many og u miss all 3 $50-$60 deals this yr not to mention that $81 is the normal price on walmart.com which can be pm'd @ BB so just buy doing a few quick flips would make the card less than $50 of "real" money anyways. Sometimes creativity will get u the deals that u really want w/o all the waiting.

[quote name='plastik3000']Best Buy is doing 20% off all Vita accessories this week, making the 32gb card 79.99 as well. I know many of us have Best Buy credit to unload.[/QUOTE]make sure u buy it on weds. tha way u get the 3X RZ points for the purchase as well since that's a $5 RZ cert for silver members & 240 points for reg. RZ members.
There's no need to rush for the $80 deal though since walmart.com has it for $81 which AMZ matches so u can wait for better chances if needed.

bread's done
Back