Sony STR-DG520 Home Theater Receiver

StarDuster

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I've found a deal (I think) on a decent surround sound receiver. Here's a link to the specifications page from Sony.

A friend of mine has the system (has had it less than a month actually). He bought a cheaper receiver when he had to send his in for repairs -- it was estimated that he wouldn't be getting it back until sometime towards Christmas. Turns out that the system he sent for repairs came in earlier than expected (today) and he is going to sell the other system. I can get the system for $125 (I already have speakers from my old dead receiver).

I'm thinking this is a good deal as my current setup is... well, non existent. All I'd be using it for is on PS3/360 games and maybe the occasional Blu-Ray movie. I realize it's only a 5.1 receiver, but I think it will greatly improve my gaming experience. Some people may say "save up and buy a better receiver" (another friend already told me this), but I don't see that happening. The deal is, I won't be spending over $200 on a receiver anytime soon... This is a $200 for about 1/2 the price... I'd just like to know if THIS system would be worth my $125 for only what I want to do.

So, anyone got this receiver or have any advice? It will be much appreciated.

Unless he'll make you a better deal, I'd pass. You can find the same receiver on ebay for $155 shipped, then get 25% Cashback that equals $38.75. Also, with only 2 HDMI inputs, it doesn't leave much room for expansion.

I looked on ebay earlier today and cheapest new receiver I've found was $165 (free shipping). Which will only wind up a few cents cheaper and then I have to wait on shipping, go through the normal process of hoping that the item is really new and not a refurb or something, and wait 90 days for the cash back refund.

The guy selling them for $155 were refurbs btw. And for an extra $10 I'd buy a new one any day.

As for the HDMI ports, those are only for passthrough anyway (no sound). I'd be using the ports on my HDTV + Optical audio. I also won't be purchasing anything else HDMI compliant for quite awhile. Already got my 360, PS3, and PC (if I wanted), thats all I need.

I'm really just wondering about the quality of the sound. I don't know what spec's to look for there at all. As far as inputs/outputs, it has everything I need.

bread's done
Back