Sony SVP of Marketing says PS3 WILL upscale DVDs

Darknyss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Link
[quote name='engadget']Engadget: So, they have to make the games specifically. Otherwise, you can upscale. But that's actually another question I have. So, there's no 1080p upscaling for DVDs, PlayStation 1, or PlayStation 2 games. Is there any particular reason why?

Sony VP: I don't know, to be honest. I don't know the answer that much.

Engadget: Because, that's something that actually kind of turned some heads is when Microsoft announced 1080p support. They also announced that they were going to be adding DVD playback upscaling to 1080p, which is kind of something that is more or less unheard of in the consumer DVD playback market.

Sony VP: Right, so I guess from a Blu-ray perspective, Blu-ray movies are obviously 1080p capable; the Blu-ray player will upscale DVDs -- your question's about why not PS1 and PS2 games?

Endgaget: So you're saying the PlayStation 3 will upscale DVDs to 1080p?

Sony VP: Yes. Oh, yes.

Endgaget: Okay.

Sony VP: That's part and parcel of the Blu-ray technology. I thought you were questioning about the PlayStation game aspect.

Engadget: Yeah, this is also about PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2 games that are going to be played on the console.

Sony VP: Yeah, I don't know the answer to that, as I said. I thought that's what you're asking. Blu-ray does upscale the DVD movie experience. I'd have to check on the PlayStation -- we can get back to you on that.[/quote]
This contradicts the ign article from several weeks ago. He's not a tech guy which is obvious from the interview but hopefully he's right about this one.

Except that Marketing = Lying.

It would be great if it would upscale DVDs, but I wouldn't hold my breath. It takes a fair bit of both power and skill (chipset-wise) to scale a DVD to 1080p and still have it be watchable. The PS3 isn't lacking in power, but I'm not sure what kind of video processing it has when it comes to skill.

Well less then two weeks until we find out what's true and what's BS with Sony's mystery console (assuming someone on CAG is actually buying it to play games rather then shipping it off to Ebay).

[quote name='Fanboy']Except that Marketing = Lying.

It would be great if it would upscale DVDs, but I wouldn't hold my breath. It takes a fair bit of both power and skill (chipset-wise) to scale a DVD to 1080p and still have it be watchable. The PS3 isn't lacking in power, but I'm not sure what kind of video processing it has when it comes to skill.[/QUOTE]
I would think the PS3, designed to play DVDs and also Blu-Ray specifically at 1080p, would be just as fit if not more so than the XBOX 360 to upconvert to 720/1080. Now, maybe not so. I just always assumed it was a software feature Sony had not implemented to entice people to buy more BD.

bread's done
Back