Sony to miss this year's PS3 production estimates (link)

[quote name='Plinko']http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aHLZ6fnYiNoY&refer=home

Looks like a production snag is going to reduce the number of PS3's even further.[/quote]

I just read this on Kotaku. I wonder if this affects the actual launch numbers or just the amount of consoles before the end of the year. I know a lot of CAGs got their EB/GS pre-orders and I hope they don't get screwed out of them.

Either the eBay prices are going to skyrocket because of this news or people are going to be gun shy about bidding on systems that have a greater chance of not making it into the seller's hands.

[quote name='lebowsky']I just read this on Kotaku. I wonder if this affects the actual launch numbers or just the amount of consoles before the end of the year. I know a lot of CAGs got their EB/GS pre-orders and I hope they don't get screwed out of them.

Either the eBay prices are going to skyrocket because of this news or people are going to be gun shy about bidding on systems that have a greater chance of not making it into the seller's hands.[/QUOTE]

This could just be numbers forecasts for the end of the year. I sure hope to god that they deliver the 400,000 units to NA that they promised because if they don't we'll have the same fiasco as last year with the 360 when lots of loyal fans didn't get the preorders they put money down on.

I think its going to be quite awhile before these are readily available. I was planning on waiting until 2007 to get a 360 or a PS3 but I may have to get a 360 at this point. I can't imagine there really being an abundance of these consoles until at least late 2007 at this rate.

[quote name='MadFlava']This could just be numbers forecasts for the end of the year. I sure hope to god that they deliver the 400,000 units to NA that they promised because if they don't we'll have the same fiasco as last year with the 360 when lots of loyal fans didn't get the preorders they put money down on.[/quote]

I'm hoping it isn't the launch units as well. At least EB and GS limited their pre-orders to the inventory that they were told they were getting this time. The 360 pre-order debacle was just as much EB and GS's fault as it was Microsoft's. Those fools were taking pre-orders for months and months on that thing.

Just another reason why I'm willing to skip a day of school to wait for launch. Granted I pre-ordered a Wii, but only because I had over $350 in GS credit. I usually suck it up at launch and wait it out. Also I find waiting more fun than just going and picking it up. It is such a unique experience waiting in line and you get to meet people with similar interests.

All this does is confirm that Sony is about to lose its hold on the video game market share that it holds on to so dearly. This means that the one thing that their company was making money on in a few short years will be losing money just like the rest of the company.

I like this part....

The PlayStation 3 will retail for at least $500, while a basic Xbox 360 model from Microsoft sells for $300. Nintendo is releasing its Wii console at $250.

The Xbox 360 is the best bargin then. The PS3 is outragoursly priced and never will be found. The Wii is only a Gamecube 1.5 and cost only $50 less than the Xbox 360. Could the Xbox 360 be the big winner?

One more quick point. Sony is also stating that they will have 6 million units on the market by March 2007 as previously stated. So this isn't really a problem outside of the first month or two. Much ado about nothing in the end.

[quote name='limelicker']One more quick point. Sony is also stating that they will have 6 million units on the market by March 2007 as previously stated. So this isn't really a problem outside of the first month or two. Much ado about nothing in the end.[/quote]

they also said they'd have 2 hdmi ports...we'll revisit their claim in March 2007

[quote name='gaelan']they also said they'd have 2 hdmi ports...we'll revisit their claim in March 2007[/quote]

Exactly, it seems that Sony isn't able to do anything right at this point. If they never get near the numbers they're "forcasting" and such, then I wouldn't be suprised if there is a huge drop in their shares. After the whole battery recall, they really need to be careful about what they say. But so far, they can't shut up. At least to me

bread's done
Back