Sony Vs. GeoHot

It's an unpopular stand, but I support Sony. All the "personal freedom" arguments about what someone can do with their device fly out the window when it starts causing irreparable damage. Lost sales being chief among them, but lets forget that and just look at what easy hacking is and will do to every aspect of multiplayer gaming on the PS3.

My right of free speech can't be invoked when I yell, "FIRE!" in a crowded theater, causing people to get hurt. The same is true when hackers exercise their "freedom" and destroy the security of a device, causing massive monetary and quality of use damages.

[quote name='Zippon']It's an unpopular stand, but I support Sony. All the "personal freedom" arguments about what someone can do with their device fly out the window when it starts causing irreparable damage. Lost sales being chief among them, but lets forget that and just look at what easy hacking is and will do to every aspect of multiplayer gaming on the PS3.

My right of free speech can't be invoked when I yell, "FIRE!" in a crowded theater, causing people to get hurt. The same is true when hackers exercise their "freedom" and destroy the security of a device, causing massive monetary and quality of use damages.[/QUOTE]

If you owned the theater you could yell fire all you want.

I don't disagree with Sony either but getting IPs of everyone who viewed the video or searched for it is crazy. It doesn't prove anything (I did not view or search for it). If they decide to ban consoles or delete PSN accounts based on the info then they can expect a massive shit storm will ensue.

Then they asked Federal Courts to search the IP's of everyone who looked up the code on google or watched a youtube video describing the hack. They also hoped to search private Google searches, Twitter accounts, and Youtube viewing histories.

WTF?

however the courts did issue a warrant for Sony to search GeoHot's computer.

WTF?

This is what people should be getting upset about.

[quote name='Zippon']The same is true when hackers exercise their "freedom" and destroy the security of a device, causing massive monetary and quality of use damages.[/QUOTE]
I believe that is incorrect, from what I've read outside of California it is legal to post DeCSS(program for cracking dvd protection) online so I don't see why this would be any different.

I just think it is funny that Kevin Butler was tricked into retweeting the code.

Also would putting the code in my sig be against the rules of cag?

[quote name='Kaelestis']If you owned the theater you could yell fire all you want.[/QUOTE]

Completely, 100% untrue. Wow.

I really don't see the point in this crazy "crusade" Sony is after, I own 3 PS3's, 2 Fat's and 1 slim, I use 2 of them to go online, Im a playstation plus subscriber, I bought several copies of some games to play online with my wife (we love borderlands and little big planet), and I have my slim running CFW because I like to play homebrew games and running Linux (I rather learn on a PS3), but unfortunately a nasty lil side effect of Jailbraking your PS3 is the ability to run backups (that most people use to run pirated games) so I can see why Sony would be upset, but people who pirate games will do it no matter what, and those of us who supourt Sony and the Developers will continue to buy games (while on this website getting a good deal) and I think they are wasting money on something that really won't change.

bread's done
Back