Sony XBR6 vs Samsung LNA750 series

darkcecil32

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
So my parents are springing for an hdtv this Christmas. My dad is willing to spend around 1500, and I am willing to throw in around 500 to get an amazing tv. After a lot of research, I've narrowed my two main choices down to the Sony XBR 6 series and the Samsung LNA750 series (since it's virtually same price as 650 series plus includes a sub-woofer). I won't be getting a sound system for a while, as it currently stands.

I was just wondering which tv most CAGs would consider to be the "better" of the two, and I am debating whether to get 46" or 52". If it's 46", I won't even have to pay a penny! However, I've heard a lot of people appreciate the extra size. After buying this tv, I am sure I will not be buying another tv myself for the next 15 or so years. That's why after waiting this long, I want to get it right the first time. This tv is being bought as a family tv, but will essentially be mine since my mom never watches tv and my dad is working abroad for the next year+.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Also: Do any CAG's have any experience buying tv's off amazon? I'm a bit hesitant to have something so large and bulky being shipped without the possibility of being broken...

Samsung. I'd get the 650 and use your $500 to buy a decent all in one surround sound setup (unless you go for the 52" :cool:)

Don't worry about buying from Amazon; you test the T.V. when they deliver it and if anything is wrong you refuse delivery at no extra cost to you. Also, as someone suggested to me, buy a warranty from SquareTrade.com.

I am going through the same dilemma right now. Personally I would get the Samsung In terms of value and performance. If you read some reviews, Samsung receivers higher marks in overall score and individual test categories. Plus, the model you mention has LED backlighting, which means black objects or areas will appear black and whites appear white.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

@lolwhut: So I could buy a warranty from a separate place even if I choose to order the TV off of amazon? That's the impression I got after taking a glance at their website. Unfortunately I have finals to study for and can't really look around right now.

I think I'm leaning towards the 52" 750 at this point (since the price is only a few dollars more than the 650).

I bought a KDL-52XBR6 from Amazon.com on BF and think it's the best TV in its class. I was looking at the 650 and 750 and heard enough issues with the game mode on the Samsung, as well as some backlight issues on the 850/860, that I opted for the XBR6. I've been extremely impressed with the PQ on it for both BR's and games.

Amazon shipped it out promptly on Monday, where it was handled by a freight company for delivery. I had a call from them on Tuesday the 2nd, and it was set up for delivery on the 4th. The rep moved it into my basement and unboxed it. Due to the temp outdoors being less than 50 degrees, he didn't hook it up and power it on, as the TV had to warm up for a few hours before being powered out. He would have disposed of the box, though I wanted to hold onto it until the 30 days have gone by, just in case there was an issue.

For the price, it was much cheaper than anywhere else I had seen, and it was a steal. Yes, it was a little bit more expensive than the 650/750, though I'm not regretting it for a second.

Hey guys, another quick question for anyone who knows anything about tv antennas.

We wound up getting the Samsung LN52A750. I want to get the local channels (cbs, abc, nbc, and fox) in HD. To do this, would any type of digital antenna suffice? I know nothing about antennae and Since I am going back to school (and my mother doesn't watch much tv coupled with my father currently working overseas), we won't be getting cable or dish for a while. I would still like to get the basic channels in high def mainly because:

a) we just spent a ton of money getting a new tv, might as well utilize it o_O
b) there's horrible ghosting with our current antennae (very old) that I'm afraid could be bad for the tv

My father and I both watch a lot of sports and are hoping to be able to get the BCS title game in high def (he's on vacation from job and leaves a couple days after the game). Any help would be much appreciated!

[quote name='darkcecil32']Hey guys, another quick question for anyone who knows anything about tv antennas.

We wound up getting the Samsung LN52A750. I want to get the local channels (cbs, abc, nbc, and fox) in HD. To do this, would any type of digital antenna suffice? I know nothing about antennae and Since I am going back to school (and my mother doesn't watch much tv coupled with my father currently working overseas), we won't be getting cable or dish for a while. I would still like to get the basic channels in high def mainly because:

a) we just spent a ton of money getting a new tv, might as well utilize it o_O
b) there's horrible ghosting with our current antennae (very old) that I'm afraid could be bad for the tv

My father and I both watch a lot of sports and are hoping to be able to get the BCS title game in high def (he's on vacation from job and leaves a couple days after the game). Any help would be much appreciated![/quote]Yes, any digital antenna should work for your TV. I'd suggest picking up something at a retail store, such as Radio Shack, so if there's an issue with it, you can take it back to the retail store.

Would he really need an antenna Shrike? I don't really know that much about TV's other than doing some research here and there about the samsung 6 series. I thought that the QAM tuner or something in the TV NTSC or ATSC would be able to pick up the local HD channels by doing a channel search. Once again I could be wrong about this assumption. I am interested in hearing about this because my friend said that I would be able to get HD channels just by doing a channel search. I already have comcast cable (basic), I do not know if that makes a difference.

[quote name='pHi ||']Would he really need an antenna Shrike? I don't really know that much about TV's other than doing some research here and there about the samsung 6 series. I thought that the QAM tuner or something in the TV NTSC or ATSC would be able to pick up the local HD channels by doing a channel search. Once again I could be wrong about this assumption. I am interested in hearing about this because my friend said that I would be able to get HD channels just by doing a channel search. I already have comcast cable (basic), I do not know if that makes a difference.[/quote]You don't need an antenna, if you're in an area with good signal strength on your local broadcast channels, though it's recommended if you're getting bad signal strength on channels.

I'd just suggest getting one to be safe.

I use TERK HD antennal on my XBR5 and pictures looks FANTASTIC (receiveing mostly local channels in HD plus some more). BB has it but you can get it cheaper online.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I wound up getting a "Philips High Performance Amplified Indoor Uhf/Vhf/Fm/HDTV Antenna" (they had it for half of amazon's price, shockingly) from Sears earlier today, and so far the results have been nothing short of an unmitigated disaster. Our 20 year old analog antenna gets similar reception to what we are getting from this unit. Definitely not getting anything in high def. I'd been reading online that with digital antennas, one is supposed to either get a great picture or no picture at all.

I made sure the antenna was facing the direction of the signal tower, tried fiddling with the angles on the rabbit ears, etc, but to little avail.

From what I've seen on friends' tv sets, the hd channels typically come up as decimal channels. For instance, say nbc is channel 3, hd nbc usually shows up as 3.1 or something to that extent. I'm expecting it to be the same on my tv.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Perfo...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231372096&sr=8-5

[quote name='pHi ||']Would he really need an antenna Shrike? I don't really know that much about TV's other than doing some research here and there about the samsung 6 series. I thought that the QAM tuner or something in the TV NTSC or ATSC would be able to pick up the local HD channels by doing a channel search. Once again I could be wrong about this assumption. I am interested in hearing about this because my friend said that I would be able to get HD channels just by doing a channel search. I already have comcast cable (basic), I do not know if that makes a difference.[/quote]

This is what I have heard, as well, but upon turning on the TV, we got no channels until we manually plugged in an antenna. I did not do a manual channel scan (still reading the instruction manual, going to calibrate some settings right after posting this), as our old tv's did this on the initial startup automatically, so I will post the results back after doing so.

Never mind, finally figured it out. You have to go to the menu and change the picture source to antenna from the default cable and then autoscan all the channels. Then if you're in range, the hd channels will pop up. I wound up getting 7 hd channels =] with an extremely old antenna.

I bought the samsung 850 52 inch lcd. The bezel around the tv is much smaller and the HD is really amazing. Thats my 2 cents. I really wanted the 860 with the blue light instead of the red but with 3 years no interest and all the research i did I COULD NOT WAIT................................Very happy with it and i am a pickey person with anything. What ever you pick out i hope you enjoy it........

bread's done
Back