Sony's PlayStation 3 Going to 80GB

Stingermck

CAGiversary!
Sorry if this has been posted, But I didn't see any.

Just saw this, while being bored at work:

Sony's PlayStation 3 Going to 80GB

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070329/tc_pcworld/130237;_ylt=AmIns8jm2zf4FChTGI9zPgEjtBAF

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. is planning a new version of the PlayStation 3 game console with a higher-capacity hard-disk drive, according to a U.S. regulatory filing made by the company.

The filing to the U.S. Federal Communications Commission was made earlier this month to notify the FCC of a change to the game console's Bluetooth module. The FCC is the radio regulator in the U.S. and as such all new products that use radio or changes to these products must be submitted to the organization for approval before they can be sold.

Included in the filing's cover letter is notification of the new model: "The model CECHE01 to be added by the difference of the capacity of hard disk." It then says the new model will have an 80G-byte drive.

Sony currently sells two versions of the PlayStation 3. The cheaper model has a 20G-byte drive and the more expensive model has a 60G-byte drive.

Hard-disk storage technology is advancing all the time and higher capacity drives are regularly coming available. As better drives come on the market drive makers cut the price of drives or discontinue then altogether because they become uncompetitive against newer models.

Thus the new PlayStation 3 could be an evolution of the product forced by economics of the disk-drive industry or something more important in Sony's strategy.

A spokesman for Sony Computer Entertainment in Tokyo declined to comment on the company's plans for future upgrades to the PlayStation 3.

On Wednesday Microsoft Corp. announced plans for a new version of the competing Xbox 360 console. The Xbox 360 Elite packs a 120G-byte drive-- against 20G bytes on existing machines-- and an HDMI (high-definition multimedia interface) connection not offered on current models.

its called SATA, 2.5" from newegg. Makes me appreciate the sony decision to use that standard in light of $180 120gb upgrades.

I could care less what sony wanted to include, they all have a hard drive, a blu-ray drive and hdmi from the start.

Hmm, I wonder if this will be the US model that removes the EE? Maybe an offering from Sony in exchange? With hard drive prices so cheap these days, gradually increasing the HD size throughout a console's life actually isn't that crazy of an idea. By the time this hits, Sony will likely be paying for an 80gb drive what they used to pay for a 60gb one.

[quote name='elwood731']Hmm, I wonder if this will be the US model that removes the EE? Maybe an offering from Sony in exchange? With hard drive prices so cheap these days, gradually increasing the HD size throughout a console's life actually isn't that crazy of an idea. By the time this hits, Sony will likely be paying for an 80gb drive what they used to pay for a 60gb one.[/quote]

I don't know about that but we'll see. I do know that Ken K. said he wanted to do something like that and get the PS3 up over 100GB.

[quote name='Rasen']Awww, does this make it the "elite elite" Playstation 3.

What the hell would I do with 80 GB, anyway.[/quote]

Maybe if Sony starts to offer music and movies online it might come in handy.

[quote name='dallow']How odd...

Unless they're replacing the 60GB with this one for same price, I'm perplexed by this.[/quote]

Squeeze the 20GB out of the picture... Drop 60GB down to the 20's price and replace it with the 80GB at $599? I could see that...

But then again we don't really know if what it says that all it is getting is a new hard drive is correct.

Also sononkyo is right. Think you can already upgrade up to 250GB if buy the right kind of drive (which are fairly cheap already).

Taken from AVS

http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=160997

A document publicly available via the internet - gawd bless it - has ignited speculation that a revised-hardware PS3 is in the pipeline.

It's revealed in the document that Sony has made an application requesting 'a class II permissive change' to the console to the US Federal Communications Commission. It's suggested by the changes detailed that a version of PS3 with an 80Gb hard drive will be released to live alongside existing models.

Alterations - i.e. update - to PS3's Bluetooth antennae are additionally related to in the document. (hmmm)

It's likely that any revisions to PS3 hardware would be minor and applied across the board, with a new 80Gb model simply being that - a PS3 with a bigger HDD. We'll just have to wait and see.

Sony declined to comment on the matter when contacted earlier.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']I don't like this console revision trend. It make early adopters like me, regret not waiting.[/quote]

Yeah, but this isn't like the XBOX Elite thing.
It's just 20 more gigs, and minor internal things that you won't notice.

Best thing to do is buy a bigger hard drive yourself.
A must for 20GB owners such as myself.

Can you save PS2 game save files to the PS3 HD?

And does anyone know if this revision might also remove the Backwards Compatability hardware sans the European version?

If so, then I better go get one now. My PS2 is about to kick it. Thanks!

Yeh I mean if it is just he Hard drive and all the features stay the same, this is no biggie. You really shouldn't have made the larger hard drive the main reason you got a 60GB anyway. Guess that is because people don't know that they can manually upgrade the system themselves.

[quote name='Number83']Can you save PS2 game save files to the PS3 HD?

And does anyone know if this revision might also remove the Backwards Compatability hardware sans the European version?

If so, then I better go get one now. My PS2 is about to kick it. Thanks![/quote]

You need an adaptor but yes (can be found ofr $15 or less). You can upload your PS2 files to the PS3 hard drive.

[quote name='Number83']Can you save PS2 game save files to the PS3 HD?[/quote]

With the memory card adapter from Sony (about $15 bucks), you can put all your PS2 and PSX memory card saves on the HDD.

And I recommend backing them up on a flash drive as well.

[quote name='NamPaehc']

You need an adaptor but yes (can be found ofr $15 or less). You can upload your PS2 files to the PS3 hard drive.[/quote]

Thanks! Also, if I'm starting a new PS2 game can I save that to the Hard Drive or do I still need the adaptor?

[quote name='Number83']Thanks! Also, if I'm starting a new PS2 game can I save that to the Hard Drive or do I still need the adaptor?[/quote]

Nah, you save directly to the HDD.

[quote name='dragonreborn23']Hehe, Nintendo must be loving this.[/quote]

Yeah, can't wait for the DWiiD.
(Wii + DVD capabilities that they announced some time ago for japan at least)

If it's just replacing the 60gb, this is no big deal. as people said hard drive prices change all the time so they probably can't get the 60gb anymore (which is a weird size for a hard drive anyhow) and seeing how you can already upgrade the HDD with any after market one, no big deal.

20 more GB seems kinda pointless... they should've added more to at least match the 360 Elite.

Still, it's nice that we don't have to buy a Sony branded HD for the PS3. We can just use anything off of a store shelf.

[quote name='Stingermck']It has to be a replace of the 60gb. I just texted my friend who has a PS3 and he sure is pissed.[/QUOTE]

Pissed? Why? WTF difference does 20gb make? Has anyone filled up their 60 yet (I know I'm nowhere close). Not to mention the fact that you can replace the hdd on your own, or just connect an external one. As a launch-60gb owner, I could care less if they upgrade the new ones to 80gb - doesn't affect me at all.

[quote name='Vinny']20 more GB seems kinda pointless... they should've added more to at least match the 360 Elite.

Still, it's nice that we don't have to buy a Sony branded HD for the PS3. We can just use anything off of a store shelf.[/quote]

Yeah, I feel you man.
Sorry about that $199 HD you can upgrade to.

From what little I know about PS3 games, non Require the Harddrive, but Harddrive install is optional, Why not sell a HardDrive less version for less and LEt me online retailer a good cheaper bigger harddrive when I deem necessary.

I want a PS3 to play games on, All I need is game save, Component out, optical 5.1 DTS surround and online for firmware updates, please SONY help the people out that just want to play games and save money by not buying all the extras I don't need.

Please Microsoft drop the price on the Core. Please Sony have a cheap Core version of PS3....I don't want online digital media, chatting etc, just high end next gen new genre GAMEING.

[quote name='mercilessming']From what little I know about PS3 games, non Require the Harddrive, but Harddrive install is optional, Why not sell a HardDrive less version for less and LEt me online retailer a good cheaper bigger harddrive when I deem necessary.

I want a PS3 to play games on, All I need is game save, Component out, optical 5.1 DTS surround and online for firmware updates, please SONY help the people out that just want to play games and save money by not buying all the extras I don't need.

Please Microsoft drop the price on the Core. Please Sony have a cheap Core version of PS3....I don't want online digital media, chatting etc, just high end next gen new genre GAMEING.[/quote]
Actually, the only game I can tell you for sure uses the hard drive is Oblivion, which causes all load times to decrease by half, along with data duplication. and I think genji did too.

[quote name='mercilessming']From what little I know about PS3 games, non Require the Harddrive, but Harddrive install is optional, Why not sell a HardDrive less version for less and LEt me online retailer a good cheaper bigger harddrive when I deem necessary.

Please Microsoft drop the price on the Core. Please Sony have a cheap Core version of PS3....I don't want online digital media, chatting etc, just high end next gen new genre GAMEING.[/QUOTE]

This is incorrect, many PS3 games already out make extensive use of the hdd for caching, installs, etc. that are NOT optional. Making the hdd standard was one of the smartest things Sony did, because it allowed devs to actually USE it instead of having to assume it may not be present.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Dear Sony,
Price drop first, extras later.

KTHNX[/QUOTE]

Yeah...I can't see what their plan is here. It's too early to expect them to drop prices (or drop the 20gb altogether and drop the 60gb down to $499); however, they're getting enough shit about charging $599 for the 60gb unit, so I can't imagine they've got the stones to release a third unit with a higher price, no matter how small the increase in cost may be.

2 skus is bad enough. 3 is absurd. (I'm looking at you, too, Microsoft! :))

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Actually, the only game I can tell you for sure uses the hard drive is Oblivion, which causes all load times to decrease by half, along with data duplication. and I think genji did too.[/quote]

Resistance and Tony Hawk P8 also use a little cache.
I don't remember if it was optional.

There are games that do require it like you mentioned.
And this is a good thing.

[quote name='PRMega']they're getting enough shit about charging $599 for the 60gb unit, so I can't imagine they've got the stones to release a third unit with a higher price, no matter how small the increase in cost may be.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm really curious about this too.
Man, if it's actually even more than $599, man.... Haha, like you said, the STONES of it all.

[quote name='PRMega']Yeah...I can't see what their plan is here. It's too early to expect them to drop prices (or drop the 20gb altogether and drop the 60gb down to $499); however, they're getting enough shit about charging $599 for the 60gb unit, so I can't imagine they've got the stones to release a third unit with a higher price, no matter how small the increase in cost may be.

2 skus is bad enough. 3 is absurd. (I'm looking at you, too, Microsoft! :))[/QUOTE]

I could care less about how many SKUs they plan on releasing cause at the end of the day its just giving people more options to buy. I think a lot of people are forgetting the days of the NES, SNES, and Genesis where there were about 50 different skus and bundles for people to buy. The pack-ins changed, the console itself changed, and yet it was really still the same thing at the end of the day.

Maybe this is the 'consolation prize' to a price drop this year?* I see only the 80GB version available by the Holidays, just a hunch. By that point, with the content available, still selling the 20 GB version will seem semi-pointless.

Either way, it's interesting, but not something that knocks your out of your chair.

*--Along with a pack-in game like Motorstorm or Resistance?

[quote name='NamPaehc']Squeeze the 20GB out of the picture... Drop 60GB down to the 20's price and replace it with the 80GB at $599? I could see that...[/QUOTE]

This would be the only scenario that would make Sony look good at this point (but there *has to be* more than 20GB in difference between a $500 and $600 model in order to not look absurd).

If Sony is, as rumored, discontinuing the 20GB model, and drop the 60GB to $500, then I think our collective ears will bleed buckets from the screeching sound of gamers backtracking on their Sony hatred.

Anything coupled with a price increase is absurd beyond fucking reason.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']I don't like this console revision trend. It make early adopters like me, regret not waiting.[/QUOTE]

I mostly agree with you, but I feel somewhat better that my PS3 is BC with my PS2.

[quote name='mykevermin']
I mostly agree with you, but I feel somewhat better that my PS3 is BC with my PS2.[/QUOTE]

To ride the slippery slope for a second, what if Sony later adds a SKU, that adds more RAM? Some developers might take advantage of it, and early adopters would be left feeling envious. I feel that way with my HDMI-less 360.

The hardware revisions are too similar to the 'put out and patch' software ethic. In some cases now, games are becoming fully realized after their release.

i broke down and shelled out for a ps3 mainly cuz of the european launch and its loss of >95% backward compatibility. With a new hardware revision, what stops Sony from doing the same thing to US PS3's? This 80gb one sounds just like that.

[quote name='mykevermin']This would be the only scenario that would make Sony look good at this point (but there *has to be* more than 20GB in difference between a $500 and $600 model in order to not look absurd).[/QUOTE]

Well, it's always possible they could keep the low-end system w/o wireless & card readers. So you'd have a 60gb non-wireless for $499 or a 80gb w/ wireless & card readers for $599.

And regardless of how this pans out, it's not nearly as annoying as the 360-hdmi thing. That's a feature I would have liked to have been able to choose last year - and it's not exactly possible for me to add that on to my current system.

[quote name='mykevermin']This would be the only scenario that would make Sony look good at this point (but there *has to be* more than 20GB in difference between a $500 and $600 model in order to not look absurd).

If Sony is, as rumored, discontinuing the 20GB model, and drop the 60GB to $500, then I think our collective ears will bleed buckets from the screeching sound of gamers backtracking on their Sony hatred.

Anything coupled with a price increase is absurd beyond fucking reason.

I mostly agree with you, but I feel somewhat better that my PS3 is BC with my PS2.[/quote]

Introducing one of the other colors, white or silver, along with the increased HD enough?

Sony's Responce.

Sony Filling image:

ps3_80gb_pdf.jpg

[quote name='NamPaehc']Sony's Responce.

ps3_80gb_pdf.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Interesting that they don't list the 20gb model... I guess that can be about as official as a response as we'll ever get as to whether the 20gb model still exists.

I edited my post, the response and filling picture are not directly related but I wanted to show both.

I don't think the lack of a mention of the 20GB means anything. Just that the 80GB is related to the 60GB, and so they had to explain which was which when they used those certain names.

we don't know all the details.. but maybe... it'll come in some different colors.. I think its aobut time, we get some more front cover plates for the PS3

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']I don't like this console revision trend. It make early adopters like me, regret not waiting.[/QUOTE]

I agree too, but this one isn't as bad as the 360 one. All it is so far is an extra 20gigs to a harddrive I could replace easily and cheaper too. Like it's been said already, I can't add an HDMI port onto my launch 360.

[quote name='Thomas96']we don't know all the details.. but maybe... it'll come in some different colors.. I think its aobut time, we get some more front cover plates for the PS3[/quote]

OooO!!

I WANT THE WHITE VERSION! :cold:

That's why I got the Warranty, cause im going to take it back when the white version comes out.

WHAT THE fuck? why are these manufacturers wasting their time making higher priced version of their already expensive-as-fuck machines?! MS and Sony have really got some weird plans for this gen, much to the joy of Nintendo, no doubt. Yeah, it's not as drastic as the 1337 Xbox, but it's still a very confusing move. especially since you can replace the HDD on your own. They should've just made a Sony brand 80gb SATA (and not charge $180 for it :lol: )

wryyyyyyyyyyy06_m.jpg

[quote name='NamPaehc']I edited my post, the response and filling picture are not directly related but I wanted to show both.

I don't think the lack of a mention of the 20GB means anything. Just that the 80GB is related to the 60GB, and so they had to explain which was which when they used those certain names.[/quote]

I can't see the pic you posted from work, or the article.
Was there some kind of price mentioned..... uh oh....

[quote name='dallow']I can't see the pic you posted from work, or the article.
Was there some kind of price mentioned..... uh oh....[/quote]

No, no mention of price at all.

The Sony statement is:

"As mentioned when we made the product announcement for PS3, the system will have different configurations (thus, 60GB HDD with memory card slots and Wi-Fi and 20GB HDD without memory card slots or Wi-Fi both exists). Application to the FCC has been made with various possibilities in mind, however, it does not lead to a new product announcement at this time."

bread's done
Back