(soon to be) New PS3 owner HDD size question

hostyl1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Hello all,
Due to the jjgames 20% off, I'll soon be the owner of a 40GB PS3. Since I'm already a 360 owner, most of my games will be over there and the PS3 is for Blu-ray and Sony exclusives. My question is regarding the mandatory installs for games, how much space do they usually take up? Additionally, if I install a game, then uninstall it, and want to re-install it, how long does that usually take?

I may, at some point, upgrade the HDD, but if space for game saves/mandatory installs is not that bad, I'll save the cash. I wont be doing any videos and few PSN games (Joe Danger comes to mind) so I dont think I need too much space, but I wanted to ask those who might best know.

Oh one other thing, Netflix is disc-less on the PS3 now right?

Thanks in advance!

Depends on the game you want to play/install. The PS3 is more friendly with it's mandatory installs since everything is kept on Blu-ray. The average game install is between 1-4 gigs, Gran Turismo 5 taking up the most at roughly 8 gigs for me. Keep in mind a portion of space is also reserved for the PS3 to use on it's own, you may only get like 30 usable gigs out of a 40 gig HD. DLC also adds up very quickly.

Installing, uninstalling and reinstalling, not too long. With the stock hard drive at 5200 rpm, figure about 5-7 minutes per gigabyte written. Nothing too crazy.

Netflix is disc-less, just download the firmware update when you get it.

[quote name='Mad39er']Depends on the game you want to play/install. The PS3 is more friendly with it's mandatory installs since everything is kept on Blu-ray. The average game install is between 1-4 gigs, Gran Turismo 5 taking up the most at roughly 8 gigs for me. Keep in mind a portion of space is also reserved for the PS3 to use on it's own, you may only get like 30 usable gigs out of a 40 gig HD. DLC also adds up very quickly.

Installing, uninstalling and reinstalling, not too long. With the stock hard drive at 5200 rpm, figure about 5-7 minutes per gigabyte written. Nothing too crazy.

Netflix is disc-less, just download the firmware update when you get it.[/QUOTE]
I beg to differ on the highlighted section, as Transformers: War For Cybertron takes forfuckinever to install on the PS3.

Some games on the PS3(namely MGS4) have multiple multi gig installs depending on the section of the game you're playing.

Moreover, the OP should Google 'file restore' and PS3 'safe mode' in the event their new PS3 ever seems like it's taking forever to load a disc in.

Had I known about the safe mode on the PS3 I would've likely never traded in my 40gb I used to have.:cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I beg to differ on the highlighted section, as Transformers: War For Cybertron takes forfuckinever to install on the PS3.[/QUOTE] So what exactly are you differing on other than choosing to bold a part of my reply and ignore the rest? Am I wrong that a 4.7 gig install that is Transformers installs in roughly 23 to 32 minutes on the stock PS3 5400 RPM HD? Would that qualify by your standards of forfuckinever?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 4oGB PS3. Like others said, mandatory install sizes vary. When I run across one I usually tell it to install and go do something else.

Space hasn't really been an issue. When I start running low, I just delete old game installs from games I haven't played in forever. The only time I really found myself pressed for space though was because of GT5's huge "recommended" install.

Oh, and I think out of the box a 40GB PS3 has ~37GB of usable space.

You won't run into many installs if you're only using it for Sony exclusives. Uncharted 1/2 and GoW3 don't use installs, and games like Infamous and Resistance 2 only use a gig or so.

i have a 250gb, and ive probably own(ed) 20+ games, and on top of playstation plus DLC i still have like 100gb.....

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH ALL THAT SPACE AT ALL. what can you do with it?

[quote name='chrislisting']i have a 250gb, and ive probably own(ed) 20+ games, and on top of playstation plus DLC i still have like 100gb.....

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH ALL THAT SPACE AT ALL. what can you do with it?[/QUOTE]

Join a long-term gamesharing group, you'll run out of space fairly quickly

As for the original post: If you're not going to download that many games or store videos 40Gb should be more than enough. As it's been mentioned, mandatory installs are around 1 to 4 Gb and they can be removed as soon as you are done with the game or if you want to take a break. Add another possible 100M to 1G for patches on some games. So unless you're planning on playing 8+ games at the same time you should be good with that

I only have three disc games and one PSN. I have been trying out demos here and there. I own the new 160 slim. I used most of it for video content which I rotate regularly. Other than that, everything is cool

Join a long-term gamesharing group, you'll run out of space fairly quickly
unforuntately my id is the same as my email stuff, so gamesharing id be scared of.....i also have playstation plus so i dont know if that makes a difference
how do you put videos and stuff on the hard drive? like aside from exclusively games (and photos) how do you guys get full movies and such?

[quote name='chrislisting']unforuntately my id is the same as my email stuff, so gamesharing id be scared of.....i also have playstation plus so i dont know if that makes a difference
how do you put videos and stuff on the hard drive? like aside from exclusively games (and photos) how do you guys get full movies and such?[/QUOTE]

There are a number of video conversion utilities that are available with a quick google search. Once converted, just throw them onto a flash drive then go over to the proper xmb section, hit triangle to display all, navigate to the file, then hit triangle again to copy them to your hard drive. There are easier methods (IE: FTP transfer) but I wouldn't recommend them to a casual gamer.

I do gamesharing off of my primary (PSN+) account, but it's with a closed group of friends. If you do want to start gamesharing, I'd recommend starting up another account and purchasing games on that for trade.

[quote name='chrislisting']unforuntately my id is the same as my email stuff, so gamesharing id be scared of.....i also have playstation plus so i dont know if that makes a difference
how do you put videos and stuff on the hard drive? like aside from exclusively games (and photos) how do you guys get full movies and such?[/QUOTE]

You don't need to share YOUR account (actually never share your main account with anybody), you can create a new account and that's he one you'd share. You can download videos from the internet and move them to the PS3 from an external hard drive just make sure they are the correct format

ohhhh ok so as far as like divx goes, its just using a computer to download and then transfer via USB/external HDD....

now as for gamesharing, is it at the first XMB icon that says create new user? or is it a whole new PSN ID because as far as i know, u can only have one PSN ID per ps3 right?

and whats all this business about hacking the ps3? i just read about it, can you put linux back on it now or will you get caught like those guys, is it even worth hacking for any reason?

thanks for the patient replies

It isn't really worth worrying about on the PS3. The ability to use off the shelf drives to upgrade makes you free to address this problem only if and when it actually becomes a problem. Meanwhile, the cost for a given amount of hard drive capacity will only continue to drop toward the base line for 2.5" drives. As it is, 500 GB drives are now available for around $50. That price could easily drop another $10 by summer.

By the time you feel the need for more drive space, a massive upgrade should be a trivial one-time expense.

bread's done
Back