Soul Calibur IV Hori Arcade Stick (PS3/360) $8 off at Amazon

I would like a second Hori Arcade stick for my Xbox 360 (already have the Virtua Fighter version). Damn things are so pricey.

[quote name='MoxManiac_']Tempting at $43.99. I've heard this stick is of good quality?[/QUOTE]

See I've heard the opposite... that's why I am just going to get the Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 for the PS3.

[quote name='Pootie Thang']See I've heard the opposite... that's why I am just going to get the Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 for the PS3.[/quote]

Let's be honest about it - the SCIV Sticks are good. They are competent sticks, and are perfect for most players. However, they definitely pale in comparison to HRAPs, which are geared towards the more hardcore crowd.

If someone is looking for an alternative to the D-pad for roughly the same price as an official pad for either system, a $50-55 stick is more than adequate, and will enhance their gaming experience with games that benefit from a stick, such as Street Fighter and all other 2-d fighters, SC and 3-d fighters, 2-d classic side scrollers like Metal Slug, old-school arcade like joust, pacman, etc.

However, if you're exacting about button feel and square vs. octo gates and the like, plus you have about 2.5x as much cash to put towards a dedicated stick, then by all means, get the HRAP.

Simply put, not everyone is looking to spend $135+ including shipping importing a stick. Really, the $55 stick is still decent - we're not talking about some garbage stick like the interact universal one that was like $20 back in the PS2 days.

Awesome! I just got the stick in today. Pretty cool especially for the price. Now I just need to get SC4. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ronin317']Let's be honest about it - the SCIV Sticks are good. They are competent sticks, and are perfect for most players. However, they definitely pale in comparison to HRAPs, which are geared towards the more hardcore crowd.

If someone is looking for an alternative to the D-pad for roughly the same price as an official pad for either system, a $50-55 stick is more than adequate, and will enhance their gaming experience with games that benefit from a stick, such as Street Fighter and all other 2-d fighters, SC and 3-d fighters, 2-d classic side scrollers like Metal Slug, old-school arcade like joust, pacman, etc.

However, if you're exacting about button feel and square vs. octo gates and the like, plus you have about 2.5x as much cash to put towards a dedicated stick, then by all means, get the HRAP.

Simply put, not everyone is looking to spend $135+ including shipping importing a stick. Really, the $55 stick is still decent - we're not talking about some garbage stick like the interact universal one that was like $20 back in the PS2 days.[/QUOTE]

How does this stick compare to the Tekken 5 Stick? That was a stick that I owned previously.

The face buttons are laid out completely different from every other arcade stick made by Hori. Not using the natural curve, rather going against it.

Fighting Stick 3/SC IV PS3 stick should have the 4 main buttons (square, triangle, x, circle) slanting up and to the right. Instead they are slanted down and to the right. STUPID. My main gripe with the button layout.

I'm thinking about the generic one (without the cluttered faceplate, but a few dollars more) for Xbox360 to use on my PC. The forum uses a 4 character minimum so I wasn't able to search very well: have these Xbox360 Hori sticks been confirmed to work on PC? Would they work well at a desk (as opposed to putting it on my lap)?

[EDIT] Did some research and the Xbox360 one works fine, but the PS3 is very very hit or miss. Too bad, $44 is cheap.

[quote name='Pootie Thang']How does this stick compare to the Tekken 5 Stick? That was a stick that I owned previously.[/quote]

The Tekken 5 stick feels a bit heavier (and it's larger), but the quality is roughly the same, IMO. However, it may just be mine, but the stick on my 360 EX2 is much looser than the stick on my T5, and was that way out of the box. That could just be the particular piece I have though.

I do plan on modding both at some point, but for now, they do a good job at just letting me enjoy the games more than with the shitty d-pads, you know? I personally would prefer a bit more button response on both, but it's close enough until i either have time to mod or grab an HRAP. If you've been playing on HRAPs or a custom stick, you'll notice the difference, and it may be major, depending on your personal pref. If you're just getting another stick and were happy with the T5, you'll be happy with this.

Man, I'm tempted but I really hated the length of the cord on my hori PS2 Tekken 5 arcade stick... can I actually sit on my couch with this thing? How long is the cable?

[quote name='Mr_Franki']Man, I'm tempted but I really hated the length of the cord on my hori PS2 Tekken 5 arcade stick... can I actually sit on my couch with this thing? How long is the cable?[/quote]

With the new sticks, you can always just grab a cheap usb extension cable from newegg or monoprice and use it. I sit about 14 feet away from my TV, so I had one to begin with for guitar hero II last year...

[quote name='Ronin317']With the new sticks, you can always just grab a cheap usb extension cable from newegg or monoprice and use it. I sit about 14 feet away from my TV, so I had one to begin with for guitar hero II last year...[/quote]

Okay, so you're saying they're probably 5-6ft like the Tekken one? Thanks mate, looks like I gotta add an extention.

[quote name='Mr_Franki']Okay, so you're saying they're probably 5-6ft like the Tekken one? Thanks mate, looks like I gotta add an extention.[/QUOTE]

The cord on this thing is actually pretty long. I didn't measure it, but I can sit on my couch w/ lots of slack.

I didn't measure, but it's about 8ft. As my couch is almost 14ft from my tv and audio rack, where the 360 is, and I'm using a 6ft USB ext cable.
Really, it's not like a single USB extension cable is a bad investment, especially with the amount of peripherals that could benefit from it for both systems. Fightingsticks, instruments, cameras, charging cords, keyboards, etc. What's like $4-5 in the long run?
edit - monoprice

What is the weight like, on these things? I've heard of people cracking them open and adding weights to make them heavier.

Are they pretty lightweight?

[quote name='Decker']The cheapest? That would be the Mad Catz Arcade Stick. I saw it in my local Game Stop the other day for $9.99 new (and it includes $20 in XBLA games), but it certainly won't make the expierence more enjoyable to you.

I went ahead and ought the Hori stick for the 360. Thanks for the heads-up

Does anyone know what PS3 adaptor I should use with the PS2 Tekken 4 Stick? I really want to continue using it , if possible, since it's a nice stick.[/QUOTE]

I'm using a Pellican ps2->ps3 adapter that a friend of mine left over here. ;) It seems to work fine, and besides the SCIV graphics I don't imagine I'm missing much by using my T5 stick.

I'll say it again - if they had made the SCIV stick wireless I would have gotten it, but as-is I'll pick it up if it ever gets a major price cut/clearance, or not at all.

It'll match nicely with my Virtua Fighter edition of the same joystick.

The only reason I'd buy this ASAP is because when GameStop clearanced the VF5 version for $20, it was difficult to find. You were lucky if you got the last one or two in your store.

I bought this EX2 stick for 360 when VF5 came out, immediately it failed to work, so I exchanged it at gamestop for another one which worked fine. The EX2 was also released for DOA4 when that came out. They just slap a new sticker package in the box for each new game (clever marketing). I have barely used it, I am saving if for SF2THDR though.

IMMEDIATELY after I bought it I went online and ordered off-the-shelf Sanwa arcade replacement parts to tighten up the feel and make it more like a US arcade stick. This is a great mod, and highly recommended.
http://www.championedition.com/?p=16
It's still lighter than I would like, and weights aren't a bad idea, but it controls more like a US arcade stick (clicky) now than an Japanese one (free roll).

If you have a PS3 try to get ahold of the Sega Virtua Stick High Grade instead, it will cost you, but it's the best thing on the market (and a japan only release). You could also try to find a HORI Real Arcade Pro Stick 3
Just be willing to pay for your fighting sticks.. And you thought $50 was expensive?

[quote name='anteis24']The 360 stick has dropped to $48.99 (was $53.99 for the longest time).[/quote]I know this might sound idiotic, but if I bought the stick at $54 a week ago, is there some way I can bug Amazon for the recent price difference?

[quote name='MightyHealthy']I know this might sound idiotic, but if I bought the stick at $54 a week ago, is there some way I can bug Amazon for the recent price difference?[/quote]

I read that Amazon no longer has price guarantee but it is always worth a few emails. YMMV (sorta) depending on your Amazon CSR/

[quote name='nlyonssmith']I read that Amazon no longer has price guarantee but it is always worth a few emails. YMMV (sorta) depending on your Amazon CSR/[/quote]Went for it, expecting nothing (just figured it was worth a try), and this is what I received back:

[quote name='Amazon.com']Thank you for contacting us to take advantage of our Post-Order Price Guarantee. I've confirmed that we now offer a greater discount on "Xbox360 Fighting Stick EX 2 - Soul Calibur 4 Limited Edition" than at the time you placed your order.

Since your purchase shipped within the past 30 days, I've requested a refund of $14.01 to the original payment method used for your order.

This amount reflects the difference between the price you were originally charged for the item and the current price offered by Amazon.com, $39.98. This refund should be processed in the next few days.

Only orders placed before September 1, 2008 are eligible for a price difference refund under the Post-Order Price Guarantee policy. As of September 1, 2008 we are no longer offering discounts if prices change on our website after you make a purchase.[/quote]

bread's done
Back