Soul Sacrifice releasing March 7th? in Japan, Getting a Premium Edition Red Vita

It really feels like a lot of effort is being put in to making Soul Sacrifice bad ass, I really hope it does well. Purportedly a demo will be available before year's end (in Japan only I'm guessing?) and the save data for it will transfer to the retail version which is a nice touch.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slidecage']be very luck to see it here before end of 2013 im guessing if at all[/QUOTE]

It will definitely release stateside. It is, after all, being developed by Keiji 'we need more Western focus' Inafune.

Played the demo and thought it was pretty fun. Seems to have a fair amount of customization with the move-sets. The soundtrack in particular is outstanding.

It looks like there might be some sort of collectors edition near the end of that video, I hope it is offered here in NA! Can't wait for this game!

Any in-depth previews at least based on the Japanese demo? I wanna be pumped for this but I'm worried about controls and replayability hooks.

[quote name='humidore']Any in-depth previews at least based on the Japanese demo? I wanna be pumped for this but I'm worried about controls and replayability hooks.[/QUOTE]Just looking through youtube, there are multiple walkthroughs/playthroughs. I found this one to be pretty decent from what I've seen: http://youtu.be/k1VBXGww5UE

And here's more pics & info on some of the characters in the game:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/06/merlin-and-morgan-le-fay-appear-in-soul-sacrifice/
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/1...re-three-of-the-100-allies-in-soul-sacrifice/

Seems a lot like Monster Hunter in style . . . not sure I could handle 15-20 minute grinds to take down some of these bosses. But I must say the bosses look incredible, really disgusting and pretty disturbing! Like that ugly fat harpy thing with crap drooling out of her mouth . . . yeeech.

[quote name='SynGamer']Looks interesting. Any word on a US release yet?[/QUOTE]Yeah look up, I posted the release date. It's coming April 30th. Which is getting very close :D

[quote name='PimpLimp']Yeah look up, I posted the release date. It's coming April 30th. Which is getting very close :D[/QUOTE]

I only checked the thread title, thanks :)

Pre-ordered (PIF) at GameStop today. I'm liking what I'm seeing, though I'll wait for reviews before actually picking this up at release. Hoping for good things, though more importantly, I'm hoping reviews indicate buying this at launch is worth the price of admission.

[quote name='SynGamer']Pre-ordered (PIF) at GameStop today. I'm liking what I'm seeing, though I'll wait for reviews before actually picking this up at release. Hoping for good things, though more importantly, I'm hoping reviews indicate buying this at launch is worth the price of admission.[/QUOTE]I have a pre-order over at Newegg for $30 so I'll probably end up getting it day one.

I don't know if Famitsu holds any weight with you, but if I remember correctly, they gave it a 37/40.

[quote name='PimpLimp']I have a pre-order over at Newegg for $30 so I'll probably end up getting it day one.

I don't know if Famitsu holds any weight with you, but if I remember correctly, they gave it a 37/40.[/QUOTE]

Wait, $29.99? Well, know that (I'm assuming it was a code or deal) I'll probably cancel my pre-order. I hate the idea of paying $40 to begin with, so maybe it's best I wait for $30.

EDIT: and yes, I believe Famitsu gave the game, 9/9/9/10, though I always take their reviews with a grain of salt. Still, it seems promising.

[quote name='SynGamer']Wait, $29.99? Well, know that (I'm assuming it was a code or deal) I'll probably cancel my pre-order. I hate the idea of paying $40 to begin with, so maybe it's best I wait for $30.

EDIT: and yes, I believe Famitsu gave the game, 9/9/9/10, though I always take their reviews with a grain of salt. Still, it seems promising.[/QUOTE]Yeah with the "$10 off any pre-order of $39.99 or higher" promo code I managed to lock the price of this and a couple other Vita games I wanted down to $29.99. But this was months ago and before the game even had a NA release date. So the chances of you getting a similar deal are probably slim.

I completely agree with you on the $40 price point though. It must be the CAG in me, but for some reason I just cringe at the sight of a $40 Vita game. Anything $30 and below is my sweet spot.

anyone heard about the in-game balancing of this game?

ive been lurking gamefaqs and some other forums, and apparently out of umm 300 spells? 2-3 are so incredibly powerful that the rest are just not needed at all.

also out of the 2 modes, chaos and holy (which is determined whether you sacrifice or save monsters i believe); the benefits of chaos modes outweighs the benefits of holy mode.

what do you guys think about this? also feel free to correct me if my info is somewhat wrong. though there really are complaints about the balancing in this game.

demo comes out today. First chapter + co-op + progress transfers to full version of game. I suspect I'm going to enjoy this, so...anyone know of the best deal? $40 is too much but $30 would be in-line with what I would want to pay.

[quote name='SynGamer']demo comes out today. First chapter + co-op + progress transfers to full version of game. I suspect I'm going to enjoy this, so...anyone know of the best deal? $40 is too much but $30 would be in-line with what I would want to pay.[/QUOTE]

no deals on the horizon unfortunately (unless you were smart enough to lock in preorders with newegg last year). if the demo really hooks me I'll definitely lock in my preorder with Amazon to snag the dlc.

Demo is rad. The co-op is pretty fun and as it stands I've had good luck so far with getting non-asses in quick play. Just need to pick a place to buy it from.

Spent 17 hours on the demo so far. Needless to say, I already got my money's worth and I haven't even bought the game yet.

Brief rundown of what I've figured out in SS regarding the spells and such. This might help people get some enjoyment where they're struggling or something.

Each spell that you bring to battle (and you can bring six) acts either as a spell which you cast directly (like the healing seeds or the fists that punch up from the ground), a melee weapon which is equipped for a certain amount of time (ice sword, axe, elemental giant fists), or a projectile weapon which you ready and then fire with either the face button or the right trigger (the chakram things, mortars, and other such things). Each time you cast a spell or ready a melee weapon you consume a charge of the spell, and these charges are limited. If you completely deplete a spell then the item that you used to fuel that spell (the token you equipped on the arsenal screen) is destroyed completely and permanently, you don't get it back and you can't refill it for the duration of the stage. This is preceded by a message that you're about to run out of that spell and its icon on the UI will blink red. You can refill non-destroyed spells during a mission by finding special locations on a map to refill your sacrifices - these show up as upwardly-flowing white streams in minds-eye mode (down on the D-pad). They don't restore to full, just a few charges, and these are also limited. This resource-intensive approach to combat is where most of the tension comes from, making tough missions a battle of attrition rather than just health and damage. Also any non-destroyed spell items will be replenished to full after a mission, so if you're careful you shouldn't run out of spell items.

There are two ways to manage your spells (though they don't get unlocked until late in the demo): fusing and boosting. Boosting combines two (or perhaps more, later on) spell items of the same type to make one improved version, generally holding additional charges than the original version, this is pretty straightforward, and can be taken to higher levels. If you have four "sword of herpderp" you can combine them into two "sword of herpderp *" and then combine those into one "sword of herpderp **". Fusing is more complicated, but basically it allows you to create new spell types by fusing existing spells. Fusing the chakram with the ice shield gets you some sort of ice thorn projectile, for example. When fusing any boosted levels are lost, so you'll start back at the base number of charges for the spell.

Once you get past the laughably easy missions it becomes a matter of outfitting yourself with a variety of complementary spells, and alternating between attack styles so that your trips to replenish your spells will allow you to last the battle without breaking any of them. Elemental weaknesses are important, and fusing spells lets you create a variety of different spell types for each element. Given that this is just a small sampling of spells, I think that the system will be quite robust and engrossing later on in the game.

There are also a few other special systems. You can carve sigils into your arms which boost stats or create effects, you can equip one-time-use megaspells which sacrifice a body part for a massive boost, but carry penalties which will last to the end of the mission - and even into other missions if you don't treat your wounds. And, yes, some of the spells are cast with health which means that their number of charges isn't limited, they're only limited by your health pool.

Basically, the point of all this is that while at first it feels like you have a few strange and disparate attacks but all you really need to do is pull out your ice sword and slash away, you'll actually need to be smart about using different spell types once your training wheels are taken off.

Final note: I'm not trying to be condescending or tell anyone they ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO LIKE THE GAME AND IF YOU DON'T YOU'RE JUST STUPID. I'm just giving a quick rundown of stuff to maybe help people get a handle on things and see that perhaps there's more at work than they initially thought, and maybe give it a second look if they otherwise might not have.

[quote name='Axersia']Spent 17 hours on the demo so far. Needless to say, I already got my money's worth and I haven't even bought the game yet.[/QUOTE]

Comments like these will make me give this another chance. I played it for probably 30 minutes and I honestly didn't pick up on the gameplay. Any tips for someone that sees there is potential here but must not be understanding how to play the game properly?

[quote name='Yanksfan']Comments like these will make me give this another chance. I played it for probably 30 minutes and I honestly didn't pick up on the gameplay. Any tips for someone that sees there is potential here but must not be understanding how to play the game properly?[/QUOTE]

Check my post right above yours if you missed it. I must have posted while you were typing that.

So what is this most comparable to? I know, I know - I could just play the demo and see for myself, but my memory card is completely full and I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of trying to free up space for something I may not have an interest in anyway. ;)

[quote name='Graff^']Brief rundown of what I've figured out in SS regarding the spells and such. This might help people get some enjoyment where they're struggling or something.[/QUOTE]

You forgot to mention you also regain spell charges by sacrificing trash mobs. It's what they're there for. Sadly, most people kill the initial trash mobs when it's far more beneficial to just let them sit there for later. Unless it's those annoying cat enemies that eat corpses and grow bigger -- definitely get rid of those.

Also, once the game gives you a warning about your spell breaking, that doesn't necessarily mean it'll break on the next use. I've had some spells go on for at least two 2 more uses after that (3 if you're OK with breaking them), so you'll just have to memorize what each spell's lifespan is. Of course, the save bet is to just stop using them after they blink red as it's quite easy to lose count, and you might end up breaking them accidentally, as I've had happen to me before. You can restore a broken spell outside of battle though so it's not that big a deal if you do.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Comments like these will make me give this another chance. I played it for probably 30 minutes and I honestly didn't pick up on the gameplay. Any tips for someone that sees there is potential here but must not be understanding how to play the game properly?[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way about the gameplay early on (though I loved the story right away), and it wasn't until I started trying out the multiplayer that it really clicked.

Just to give people an idea on how to battle well, here's the deck I would use for Cerberus:

Irondrake Egg x2
For long range attack as it's just too risky being in close range most of the time, but Cerberus stands in the same places long enough that its slow travel speed isn't a big issue. You also get free aiming with these, meaning you can hit enemies' weak points with full force (in this case 100 ATK points), which is a lot harder to do with arrow spells. Not sure what destroying all of Cerberus' weak points does, but during the Harpy fight you can destroy her wings thus preventing her from flying, for example, and it also affects your rating/rewards.

Ice Carving Lid
There aren't nearly enough people using shields in multiplayer, but they're extremely useful against charging enemies like Cerberus and the Jack o Laturn as it'll stun them for a significant amount of time.

Grave Clod
Cerberus is weak against earth so after you stun him you can absolutely wreck him with these, but they're almost impossible to use in other situations.

Healing Seed
The most useful of healing items as their effect is instantaneous.

Swordsman Icebrand
A quick melee weapon to take care of those trash mobs and replenish your spells.

A more advanced strategy would be to lure him into one of the corners and lock him in using your golems, though I find this quite hard to pull of with random people. I did once team up with a bunch of randoms who knew what they were doing and we had him cornered for most of the battle. Really quite satisfying indeed.

[quote name='argyle']So what is this most comparable to? I know, I know - I could just play the demo and see for myself, but my memory card is completely full and I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of trying to free up space for something I may not have an interest in anyway. ;)[/QUOTE]

It's probably the most like Gods Eater Burst, but with a lot more polish and much more intense.

This game looks amazing too bad sony has figured out that custom colored bundles sell in all regions. Just don't overprice/overstock them & keep it to the truly worthy system selling titles or games bundled with system sellers.
If they can get a following behind this a la monster hunter it might make sense to bring this to PS4 as well.

I totally didn't want to like this game (don't want to spend so much when I have such a big backlog), but I think I'm hooked. What's the scoop on how many bosses/levels/skills there are? I'm sure there's content in the retail version, just trying to compare to the demo.

Any preorderers feel free to add me on PSN - as soon as it shows up from bestbuy's standard shipping I'll be playing it nights. It'd be nice to have some regulars to run with for the tougher stuff (and to show me what I'm doing wrong).

Just preordered this. First game in a long tine I've done that for, and really I just want the Japanese voices cuz the English ones are pretty bad (I liked the book though). But ill add anyone who's down to play, using Amazon super saver shipping so it might take a bit

bread's done
Back