SoulCalibur V

shotgunshine

CAGiversary!
Im suprised to see there isn't a thread on this game. I've never really played much of the SoulCalibur games... I played IV a few times and the first one back in the arcades, but thats pretty much it. Reviews have been decent to good. complaints seem to be the thin single player, which isn't a big deal to me. I've watched a few videos, and it does look fun. Anyone pick it up? Thoughts?

I picked it up and I'm having fun. I'm not very good at it and I'm definitely not a hardcore fighting game guy, but it's a lot of fun. Single player is very thin compared to other fighting games and even SCIV. This one, oddly enough, the reviewers seemed to nail in the reviews I've read. The story mode really, truly is God awful.

But, the gameplay and online is where it's at. Worth a pickup.

Warning: The unlockable characters in this game as as cheap as Blazblue's "unlimited" characters.

Other than that, the game is pretty fun. The netcode is amazing and the level of customization in the create-a-character mode is ridiculous. If you loved Soul Calibur/Soul Calibur II back in the day, but were disappointed by SCIII and IV, give SCV a try. The game looks amazing and it plays well. The learning curve is not as steep as with other fighting games like King Of Fighters XIII, but you have to take some time and learn your basics if you don't want to be humiliated by everyone online or in public.

I picked this up day 1 and I'm enjoying it as well. The single player is indeed shallow. I do like the quick battle mode as there's different variations of AI, but the story and arcade modes are weak. For arcade, all it is is 6 battles, and there isn't even a speck of story like past SC arcade modes.

Of course, the online, it's as smooth as a baby's ass. I haven't tried the global coliseum mode yet, but I've had practically no problems in ranked and player matches other than when my net decides to be unstable. Plus the lobby system in player matches is cool. Up to 6 players and when 2 are playing, the other 4 get to watch. With the winner continuing until somebody can defeat him.

Edit: Also, not sure if it's just me or not, but it seems like some of the characters are easier to get into this time around. I remember struggling to use Hilde at all and while I'm still not good with her, she at least seems easier to use.

Legendary Souls mode. I want to kill the creator of that. I can't kill Kilik and he's the first character. He breaks almost all my throws, Blocks and counters faster than he should be able to, and here 7 hit combos on me all day long. Grrrumble.

I am severely underhwelmed with this game. Not only have they completely ruined my favorite character (Kilik) by making him a bullshit clone character who always ends up with Lizardman or Voldo, but the lack of modes has me bored already. Arcade Mode is essentially pointless. There isn't any cool boss battle or even an ending no matter who you beat it with. Story Mode is drawn out and isn't interesting in the slightest. The quality of the comic scenes are horrible and the voice acting sounds like they don't care at all. Online is fun, but there's still no team battle. Not to mention the AI is ridiculously cheap this time around. Try playing Nightmare on hard. He doesn't let you get up and manages to hit 3 or 4 Critical Edges during each round.

I'm so glad I didn't buy this. I can't justify paying $60 to simply fight. If there was Team Battle or even some more unique modes, then yeah, I'd want it, but as of now there's nothing keeping me coming back for more. I will admit that the online is very well done and the core gameplay is still excellent, but it's the lack of modes that really kill it for me.

Out of the Ring! > Ring Out! (Just saying that I kinda like the broken english from the original Soul Calibur)

I felt sleepy last night after completing 2 stages in Story mode. Gonna continue on later. Makes me want to keep the game now (Rented it from Gamefly)

Yeah, I normally don't keep fighting games very long, but I think I'm gonna hang onto this one for some reason. Seems like there is a lot of depth here.

I popped it in earlier..didnt have alot of time, just messed around in training mode and watched a couple online matches. Its definitely going to take some time for me to get used to everything but I can see myself playing this game for a good while.

How do you unlock the other characters? Will you get them all by just beating story mode?

The game seems like it was made on a low budget. The team did the best with what little they had to work with. The characters and levels look great in HD. Clearly they sacrificed the single player experience in exchange for refining the fighting engine and developing a really impressive online experience. Lag has been almost non-existent in the 50-some matches I've played online so far. The few new characters are truly unique additions to the roster, offering some interesting new mechanics. The character creator is a little rough around the edges but is unmatched by any other fighting game.

Two complaints: they ruined the Guard Impact system by requiring you to have your super meter to use it, plus it seems like the returning characters from SC4 lost more moves than they gained.

[quote name='shotgunshine']How do you unlock the other characters? Will you get them all by just beating story mode?[/QUOTE]One is DLC that is currently exclusive to Best Buy. The others you get by playing through story mode, and one more is unlocked by beating the Legendary arcade mode. You can also unlock everything just by leveling up, but that'll take a bit more time. You'll also eventually unlock
the Devil Jin fighting style, which is a set of moves exclusively available to the create-a-character... characters.

I miss SCIV's customizations. I remembered how easy it was to unlock a shit load of stuff and created some cool characters from Wonder Woman to She-Hulk and so on with ease. Now it's like I got to grind out more stuff to unlock what took me less than an hour to get in SCIV. I do miss the star wars characters. Would be nice for a DLC though.

I rented this on Wednesday and have really been enjoying it. So today I went out to Bestbuy and traded in some games and picked up the CE.

I figured they would've put Team Battle or something like it in the game by now. Playing together with a buddy against 2 other people online would have been fantastic. All I seem to keep seeing is that the game is extremely shallow and bare compared to SCIV, looks like this'll be something I pick up for cheap. Sad to see, I really enjoyed the previous Soul Calibers. Hopefully Maxi's still good, he's my favorite character.

[quote name='Ziv']Legendary Souls mode. I want to kill the creator of that. I can't kill Kilik and he's the first character. He breaks almost all my throws, Blocks and counters faster than he should be able to, and here 7 hit combos on me all day long. Grrrumble.[/QUOTE]
fuck this legendary mode, it is the cheapest shit I have ever played. the fucker knocks me on the ground then throws me up in the air then puts his stick in between his legs like he is beating me with his dick

Story mode is bad...think they would've done better on it. Im just finishing it to unlock all the characters.

Played a bit online...3-5 so far..i've been using Ezio from Assassin's Creed. Pretty fun fighting style he has...i'll try some others out later.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']I figured they would've put Team Battle or something like it in the game by now. Playing together with a buddy against 2 other people online would have been fantastic. All I seem to keep seeing is that the game is extremely shallow and bare compared to SCIV, looks like this'll be something I pick up for cheap. Sad to see, I really enjoyed the previous Soul Calibers. Hopefully Maxi's still good, he's my favorite character.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see a tag system as well, but I don't know how they'd get your teammate appear out of nowhere when your back is towards the edge of the level/platform.

The single player content is really shallow, but the multiplayer and the character movesets offer quite a bit of depth if you're willing to take the time to learn everything. I've got about 10 hours logged on the game so far and I'm almost to the point where I've completely learned one of the 20+ characters.

Maxi's still his same old self. Everyone still complains that he's the Eddy Gordo of Soul Calibur, where you can just mash buttons to win. Truth is he's one of the most difficult characters to play correctly due to his constant stance changes. I'd hate to play against a good Maxi player.

I'd like to see some. I need some inspiration. I've seen some good ones from friends. Seems like you can get pretty detailed.

I'd like to see some creations before I plunk down any funds for it. :) I loved Messing with SCIVs editor and if this one is better then I'll love it.

I haven't messed with the create a figher yet but I have seen some great ones online.. Robin, Darth Maul, and Kratos to name a few.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']I'd like to see some creations before I plunk down any funds for it. :) I loved Messing with SCIVs editor and if this one is better then I'll love it.[/QUOTE]

One of the main differences as far as unlocking stuff is instead of paying for it with gold, you basically get experience for every fight you do and after so much, you level up. With the exception of some stickers and such, everything should be unlocked by level 53 (100 levels total).

As for the customization, there are some new things, most noticeably the accessories, but there's not as many new things as you might think. Doesn't mean you can't make a lot more considering you do have patterns and stickers and such along with the accessories which does give you a lot more options.

I think it's fantastic that 90% of the fights I have with C+ ranked people seem to magically disconnect when I have 2 rounds won. Had a fight yesterday where the guy DC'd as his character was midair about to lose the third match.

Why do companies still allow "disconnects" to not count as a win / loss? Internet connections are to the point where legitimate DCs are probably rare. And in that 0.05% chance that you actually did DC, eat that loss.

[quote name='JStryke']One of the main differences as far as unlocking stuff is instead of paying for it with gold, you basically get experience for every fight you do and after so much, you level up. With the exception of some stickers and such, everything should be unlocked by level 53 (100 levels total).

As for the customization, there are some new things, most noticeably the accessories, but there's not as many new things as you might think. Doesn't mean you can't make a lot more considering you do have patterns and stickers and such along with the accessories which does give you a lot more options.[/QUOTE]

I really hate the "level up" system... that should only be reserved for RPG's. I was making quite a bit of money in SC4...but I have learned to work with the SC5 system for now... only at level 18 :(

bread's done
Back