sound system

solohunter

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Hey everyone,

So I'm moving into a new apartment and looking to put a sound system in the living room. I mostly want to listen to music, mainly through CDs, but also through the other usual stuff (MP3 player, computer, xbox). It would also be nice if the sound system could hook up to my TV and xbox.

I don't have much money, being a poor grad student - Im willing to spend up to around $200, though closer to $150 would be preferable. I'm happy (and would in fact prefer) to buy used or refurbished. The room is pretty small, so I don't need much power. And I'm willing to look into anything - HTiB, sound bars, whatever.

Any advice you guys can give me would be great appreciated - thanks in advance.

This exact thread has been posted multiple times over the years. Do some digging and you will find some suggestions. Many vote would be onkyo htib open box or refurb... given your price and setup.

ok, well i looked around and some people have mentioned computer speakers, or maybe a receiver and two speakers...what are some good cheap options for those?

elsewhere, people have also mentioned "logitech boxed kits" - what exactlly does this refer to?

and also, does anybody have any experience with cheap soundbars?

Thanks for the advice, that's very helpful. As I am completely new to this, please be patient and allow me to ask some very dumb questions.

First, the logitech speakers are made for computers, how will it work if I try to play from other sources? By the way, looking at the reviews, a lot of them say the x-540 is better, with a similar price - can anyone comment on this?

Second, the monoprice speakers look great - but is there a cheap receiver that is worth a purchase? Also, they don't seem to come with cables and such, what would I need and how expensive are they?

And finally, I don't have a CD player yet - how much does the quality of that matter? Is the Xbox good enough?

Thanks again, and please be gentle...

Those Logitech sets were just examples since you asked what 'logitech box sets refer to'? You can hook them up by using composite (the red and white inputs in the back) or using a 3.5mm input-- you'll likely need a few additional wires if you go this route. Most of those cheaper ones aren't that great, I was just using them as examples.

Since you bring up needing a CD player as well (though I'm not sure why you'd want one these days) and being on a budget, you might just wanna consider a home theater in a box. They do a half decent job assuming you're not going to crank up the volume beyond medium.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=home+theater+system

If you can stretch your budget a bit, this looks like a good set. It's purely a sound system meaning there's no CD (or DVD or anything) player but any of your consoles (Xbox, PS2/3, etc.) should be a good enough CD player. In terms of sound and connection options, it'll be hard to beat.
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S350...341115867&sr=1-2&keywords=home+theater+system

Onkyo is basically considered to have excellent home theater systems (since they give me an actual receiver and a powered subwoofer) and one of the best budget brands. My first surround sound system was an Onkyo set. You might be able to find a better Onkyo set if you shop around...

yeah, i don't actually need a Cd player, i was just wondering how much the playing device matters.

i've been looking at the home theaters but my head is swirling from reading all those (sometimes inconsistent) reviews. are all onkyo system decent? cause i think i can find some old ones that have dvd player attached to them for a pretty good price.

and is there any hope for a cheap receiver?

check your best buy open box audio. I found my set here for $100. Here's the same htib that I got.
http://stores.bestbuy.com/136/open-box/music-mp3/home-audio/sony-1000w-51-ch-3d-blu-ray-home-theater-system/HTSS380/200001268400722/

i like it so far, it's for our bedroom so when the volume is around 15, you can feel the vibration on the floor and the sound is clear in every speaker. i bought the 4 year warranty for additional $20. i could say it worth the money i spent on it. plus it's a major brand name.

bread's done
Back