SP to Micro, worth the upgrade?

Sporadic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
53 (100%)
I was just wondering whether or not the upgrade from the SP (non-new screen) to Micro was worth it.

I've just rebought a SP for cheap and am having second thoughts about it. As much as I love the system, it's just too thick to carry around in my pocket through out the day.

Is the Micro too small to really game on for awhile? How's the screen? I heard it was even brigher then the DS and the DS was fairly bright. Is it possible to turn down the light? How's the battery life?

- edit Sorry if this post is kind of screwed up. I have a headache right now.

Basically what I want to know is how are you enjoying your Micro? Any issues?

I just got one and the screen is pretty small. I mean its detailed and looks good.. but its.. small. I'm thinking about a DS or something. Sad you can't have the form factor of a micro with just like an inch bigger screen.

Hell, the upgrade to the SP wasn't enough for me. I'm still using the GBA that I afterburner'd. I much prefer its width due to my bigger hands, however, I don't really use it anyways.

I sold my SP back when the Micro first came out, loved it since I then took it to work all the time. Screen size doesn't bug me and if I wanna play older GB titles my bro still has his SP. The dpad and buttons are a lot better than the SP too.

No issues at all. Its not difficult to read text or play on it for long sessions. You can turn down the brightness by holding L and toggling the volume. I'm not sure if it is brighter than the DS, but I would have to say that it is comparable. Oh and the battery life is great :)!

The portability of the micro is great and so is the battery life, no complaints really about the screen size but I guess that's up to the person's preference. I kept my SP as well though because I've got a big library of old GB and GBC titles and the micro's not backward compatible.

The sp to a Micro is a downgrade IMO. I put about 30 hours into my Micro, but I ended up selling it. It was just too small. I'd go with a backlight sp if I was in the market.

I'm confused by the premise of this whole post. The Micro is a DOWNGRADE to the SP. The SP is too big? Geez, it's teeny tiny. The PSP and DS are tiny, and they're huge compared to the SP. And although I could, I wouldn't leave a game system in my *pocket*. Get a case for it.

Go for it. I just picked up a Micro (the only iteration I had yet to purchase), and I am loving it. The form factor is amazing. It's the same size as my cell phone so it fits easily in-pocket, plus the built-in screen cover on the removable face plate helps to ease my mind when i think of the inherent dangers of letting the system mingle with all the other contents of said pocket.

Like others have mentioned, going from SP to Micro is a downgrade. It may be cute and small, but you lose so much functionality. Requires different link cable. Cannot use GCN-GBA cable (unless you have one specifically made). No GB/GBC capability. The SP with the backlit screen is damn near perfection for GB playing. Skip this silly notion of the Micro altogether.

Well, since the OP mentions thickness as an issue, I'd say the Micro is a decent option. Why not have both anyway? That way, if you really want the mobility, you can bring the Micro with you and have the SP for home.

[quote name='Nogib']Like others have mentioned, going from SP to Micro is a downgrade. It may be cute and small, but you lose so much functionality. Requires different link cable. Cannot use GCN-GBA cable (unless you have one specifically made). No GB/GBC capability. The SP with the backlit screen is damn near perfection for GB playing. Skip this silly notion of the Micro altogether.[/QUOTE]
Bah, I've never felt the need to connect two GBAs or to connect it to my Gamecube (there's a concept that went nowhere). Assuming portability is your primary concern (and since the OP says the GBA SP feels too big, it sounds like it is) I would say the Micro would be a great choice. I love it. The screen isn't too small at all. Micros are so cheap now, it's a no-brainer.

[quote name='Nogib']Like others have mentioned, going from SP to Micro is a downgrade. It may be cute and small, but you lose so much functionality. Requires different link cable. Cannot use GCN-GBA cable (unless you have one specifically made). No GB/GBC capability. The SP with the backlit screen is damn near perfection for GB playing. Skip this silly notion of the Micro altogether.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree. If you want an upgrade get a backlit SP. Though I honestly can't stand the size of any of the GBA screens after getting a PSP.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm confused by the premise of this whole post. The Micro is a DOWNGRADE to the SP. The SP is too big? Geez, it's teeny tiny. The PSP and DS are tiny, and they're huge compared to the SP. And although I could, I wouldn't leave a game system in my *pocket*. Get a case for it.[/quote]

You must be really fat and wear big pants with huge pants. The PSP is not small at all.

[quote name='help1']You must be really fat and wear big pants with huge pants. The PSP is not small at all.[/QUOTE]

I think you mean big pants with huge pockets. You don't need to be fat or have big pants to have large pockets, I can easily fit my PSP with Playgear Pocket case in my pocket.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm confused by the premise of this whole post. The Micro is a DOWNGRADE to the SP. The SP is too big? Geez, it's teeny tiny. The PSP and DS are tiny, and they're huge compared to the SP. And although I could, I wouldn't leave a game system in my *pocket*. Get a case for it.[/QUOTE]

I wear blue jeans, the SP will fit in most of my pockets but it leaves a pretty decent bulge.

Also I just bought a 1GB flash cart and the prospect of having a tiny all in one game system makes me :drool:

I guess I should have mentioned that none of that matters. I don't play with any friends, don't own a Gamecube and had my fair share of GB/GBC games while growing up.

One of the things that really attracted me to the Micro is that is uses a normal headphone jack.

[quote name='tcv']Well, since the OP mentions thickness as an issue, I'd say the Micro is a decent option. Why not have both anyway? That way, if you really want the mobility, you can bring the Micro with you and have the SP for home.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about that but what are the chances I would actually get my money's worth out of two?

[quote name='Sporadic']
One of the things that really attracted me to the Micro is that is uses a normal headphone jack.[/quote]

It's quite a boon for taking the system on the go. It's really obnoxious to have to keep track of a dongle when you take the system around.

[quote name='Sporadic']
I was thinking about that but what are the chances I would actually get my money's worth out of two?[/QUOTE]

I have both and pretty much use the Micro in all situations. I played on my SP the other day when I ran out of juice in the Micro and rediscovered how much easier it was to read things on the larger screen, but still went right back to the Micro in the end.

At the time the Micro was released its footprint in my pocket was smaller than my cellphone. It is easily the most portable system I've ever owned, so if you do most of your GBA gaming outside of the house Micro is the no-brainer.

If you play more than half your time at home or in the backyard or something like that, then I'd go with the SP. I don't like the d-pad and buttons as much on the SP but it is much more comfortable to play games on for extended periods.

[quote name='foundation']Hell I'm really fat and wear big pants with huge pockets and still can't get a PSP in there! :lol:[/quote]

Is that a PSP in your pocket, or ... Oh, it is.

[quote name='tcv']Is that a PSP in your pocket, or ... Oh, it is.[/QUOTE]

If the battery life lasted longer than it takes to unplug it from the charger and put it in my pocket, it'd be worth the effort. So in this case, it probably isn't! :D

My micro gets a lot more playtime than my SP. Easy as hell to sneak it into the bathroom at work and get in a few levels of Mario with that thing. I do have to hold all my shits until I get home though.

Do you have a DS Lite? If not, despite its bigger size, it's just a far better investment as it has all the functionality of the micro + the DS game library (the Micro can't play the legacy GB(C) software).

I think, however, that the back-lit SP is the definitive piece of Gameboy hardware. The only thing it is missing is a built-in headphone jack, but I've found a total of 2 times in 2 years that I'd have used that, so, whatever. :)

I think the micro gets a bum rap. It was my introduction to the GBA world, and I'm still very fond of it. I love the size -- it fits neatly in my coat's inside pocket -- the vibrant screen, and the comfortable d-pad and buttons. I've tried playing a few of my GBA games on my DS Lite, and I just can't get into it -- the micro's squishier buttons and great form factor win out for me. As WildWop says, the micro's portability is unbeatable. If you're looking to play your games on the go, you can't do better.

bread's done
Back