Space Channel 5 for ps2 - $2.96 at Circuit City

i got one there is another one left if anybody wan ts it let me know and i will get it and ship it to them or trade for another game

Yeah, it's been that price for a long time now. You were just luckly enough to find one. I found two about 6 months ago at tha price and of course I picked them up.

At its essence, Space Channel 5 is playing a game of simon to a steady beat. It just looks cooler than a 4-color ring of plastic electronics.

With all the new talk about Rez being re-released on XBL in HD, I thought I'd mention that if you own Rez and its Trance Vibrator peripheral from Japan, this game was made by the same director, and it also supports the T.V. Just plug it in to a USB slot, and you're ready to feel the beat!

I got it for this price on Black Friday. It was labeled as being either $5 or $10, but rang up even cheaper. It's the Special Edition which also has the Part Two sequel disc which wasn't released in the US IIRC. I have the original for the Dreamcast, but since that's packed away somewhere, I got this to play on my PS3.

[quote name='Luckychunk']At its essence, Space Channel 5 is playing a game of simon to a steady beat. It just looks cooler than a 4-color ring of plastic electronics.

With all the new talk about Rez being re-released on XBL in HD, I thought I'd mention that if you own Rez and its Trance Vibrator peripheral from Japan, this game was made by the same director, and it also supports the T.V. Just plug it in to a USB slot, and you're ready to feel the beat![/quote]

Does the Trance Vibrator work for the PS3? I've looked everywhere for an answer on this but have only received a "not sure, don't think so". Seems like it should work.

[quote name='Luckychunk']At its essence, Space Channel 5 is playing a game of simon to a steady beat. It just looks cooler than a 4-color ring of plastic electronics.[/QUOTE]

An accurate summary of the play mechanism, but the game's presentation and sheer coolness make it well worth playing.

SC5's simplicity is what makes it successful.

[quote name='scri33le']Does the Trance Vibrator work for the PS3? I've looked everywhere for an answer on this but have only received a "not sure, don't think so". Seems like it should work.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm here to unhappily report that the Trance Vibrator does NOT work with the PS3. As in, at all. Per your request, I plugged the T.V. into my 60GB PS3 (the one with the better PS2 game compatibility), and the system pops up a bug to inform me that "An unknown USB device has been plugged into the system."

I then played the first levels of Space Channel 5 Part One, Part Two, and Rez -- the game for which it was made -- and all three games did not vibrate at all. For the record, all three games happily support the T.V. on my regular old PS2. The fact that it was a Japan-only release does not matter, as the U.S. games have an option in the Options menu called "Vibration Function" which you have to turn on before playing -- showing that Sega ported the Japan code fully and intact.

Side note:
And for the record, The Trance Vibrator may elicit a chuckle out of most, but that baby is powerful. As in, shockingly powerful -- easily 2 - 4 times the power of a DualShock controller. It thumps and bumps to the beat of its own drum -- it pulsates to a different rhythm than what the DualShock elicits. When used in tandem with a DualShock, a great TV, a darkened room, and a loud, powerful stereo with a subwoofer, it truly is a fantastic experience within which to experience Rez.

Thanks for going the extra mile and thoroughly checking out the compatibility. Very sad it doesn't work. Next is finding out if the xbla version is compatible.

[quote name='scri33le']Thanks for going the extra mile and thoroughly checking out the compatibility. Very sad it doesn't work. Next is finding out if the xbla version is compatible.[/QUOTE]

Conflicting reports abound whether or not you can plug the T.V. into the 360 for use in Rez HD (some say it will work, other say the opposite), but the 100% accurate news is that you can use up to three extra Xbox 360 controllers as vibrators (oops I mean "rhythm enhancers") in place of the T.V.

Web Comic site Penny Arcade made a funny 3-panel about it here.

I bought Space Channel 5 SE a year ago or so from CC for $10, and beat it a month ago or so [had the first one for Dreamcast, and don't really import, so I wanted the second one]. It was completely worth it, and anyone who hasn't jumped on this ... well, if it's there, it should be an instant pickup. Definitely a wacked-out game. :D

[quote name='Bazz']I had no idea this game ever came out for ps2.[/QUOTE]

Agetec released SC5 1 & 2, bundled together in the US, as "SC5: Special Edition" -- it is SC5 Pt2's only US appearance.

It debuted as a budget title, with large volumes sold directly to discount vendors.

[quote name='ragtop70']I can't recommend this title at any price.[/QUOTE]

it not that bad of a game it is very trippy. i can see where u come from but for 2.96 it might be good trade fodder for that extra game when the 30% comes back on 5 games at gamestop

[quote name='ragtop70']I can't recommend this title at any price.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. For $2.97, this is only worth it if you need a new PS2 double-case, which honestly might be a good deal.

To each his own, but both my wife and I tried this game and couldn't stand it for more than 10 minutes. My gripe: it doesn't have any kind of timing to see visually, you just have to wing it and hope you're right. We almost never were.

If you go along with the rhythm of the music, you'll be fine. Maybe it's because the original was one of the first music games I ever played, but the lack of visual feedback wasn't a big deal at all. And the PS2 dpad worked much better than the DC's, IMHO. (although I feel sort of blasphemous even saying that!) It's quite fun if you like music games... especially totally whacked out ones.

[quote name='lude21']oh man whitedeath! i was gonna pik it up[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! NOT ANOTHER LOCAL CAG!!! Dammit!!! Now, I have even more local competition for the meager deals around here. Though, I still go to outta the way stores to find a deal, if nothing is left around here.

Oh and I've seen this game @ CC up my way for the longest time, but I swear I saw like 3-5 copies of it, though from the sound of it, I wouldn't want it even @ .96 . Well, unless FYE was giving $10 for it in trade, then I might want it.

I picked this up almost a year ago for the same price and it's still unopened, I guess I should try out Part 2 (have the original for DC and GBA)

My favorite music game ever, I own it on PS2 and DC. If any of you like music games and can't find this for $3, pay a little more from somewhere else and get it anyways.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Anyone still have a copy?
Someone offered it to me, but nothing confirmed.[/QUOTE]

PM me I should still have one.

I bought a bunch of copies when it dropped to $3 and gave them away to friends.

Just picked this up last night in Albany, NY. They had about 5 more on the shelf if anyone in this area is interested.

Space Channel 5, Part 2 is one of my all-time favorite games. I played the heck out of both of them on Dreamcast. You should definitely pick this up if you can.

And yeah, you're supposed to listen to the music to tell when you hit the buttons. It's a rhythm game.

Nabbed this deal way back, but yeah, if you can find one I highly recommend it. Great games, even if it's sad to see the Dreamcast's library on the PS2.

ive actually had gotten this cheaper during the "cool deals" sale. i think $2.10. i bought a few of them not really to collect but to trade through goozex. traded like a couple it was only 100 point game though (i think its 150 now).

Space Channel 5 is a really weird game. It even had Michael Jackson in it!
I would recommend getting it. I liked this game, but I also liked Bust-A-Groove and am a [SIZE=-1]rhythm game fan so...take it from there.
[/SIZE]

[quote name='Veronica Mars']So, I was able to play it.
Still can't find a copy :/

Not even at GS.

Hopefully it comes to the Wii.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it because it's not a big franchise here.

Hah, thanks for reminding me that I had this game on the shelf... I just may have to bring it out of retirement and play it again. The game is such a trip it's hilarious. I remember not even knowing it was out on the PS2 until I saw it on a shelf at GS a few years back. Even then it was ~$15 I think.

Like others have said, highly recommended at $2.96 if you can find it.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Man :/
Crushed My Buzz

Man, my local CC said they've been trying to get rid of them for a while.
IDK why I just remembered recently.[/QUOTE]

The eBay price is around $4 to $8 more shipped. If you really wanted it, then that small price differential shouldn't bust your balls.

Also, when I go out to CC, I could look in the bin for you. I don't mind helping out a fellow CAG. Unfortunately, by the time you cover media mail + the cost of the game + 3% PayPal fee (my break-even point, since I would do it without profit) you only save a couple of $$$ over going on eBay to get it.

[quote name='opportunity777']The eBay price is around $4 to $8 more shipped. If you really wanted it, then that small price differential shouldn't bust your balls.[/quote]

I know, but I'd rather pay 3 bucks for a new copy.

bread's done
Back