Spam email with my name, home address and phone number.

Peanut932

CAGiversary!
I just got this spam email with my real name, home address, and home phone number along with an attachment.

How did they get my info? I don't know who the sender is. I have no idea how to handle this. This is the first time this has happened to me, so I'm kind of freaking out over this. I sure as hell will not click on the attachment.

I use this email for online shopping. Was my info given out by an online retailer? That's the only explanation I can think of.

The email has incomplete info, so you can tell right away that it's not legit.

Here's the email I got:

subject: Order confirmation for (first name, last name)

Sent: Wed 1/21/15 9:23 AM
To: [email protected]

Attachments: 1 attachment
dm-drogerie markt GmbH + Co. KG order confirmation 2964.doc (36.6 KB)

Dear --- ---,

Please save this email! This is your one and only receipt for the item(s) listed below.

Please find attached receipt of payment made to us today.

Your order shipped on 1/21/2015.

Your order number is 207262030.

Ship To:
(home address)
(home phone)

Billing Summary:
Total to be paid by --- ---'s credit card ending in : $707.43

Billing Address:
(home address)

Regards
Cassie Krumme | Branch Administrator
dm-drogerie markt GmbH + Co. KG
10 Surrey Lane | Chester, Pennsylvania 19013
Telephone: 042-831-1960

All that info is available in databases. They just bought it and sent out mass emails. Unless they have your ss#, I wouldn't panic over it.

I notice they didn't actually have your credit card last four digits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an almost identical e-mail but the sender was different and they tried to spam some company called Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited.

They too used my correct name, correct billing address and had the correct last four of a debit card that I almost never use which is tied to checking/savings account I almost only use to pay bills (i.e. I don't use it for point of sale).

The e-mail had a MS Word document as an attachment. I tried to open it (stupid I know) but I couldn't open it from the chrome book I am currently traveling with.

Here is the e-mail I received:

------------------------------------------------

Sender: [email protected] ([email protected])  

Title: Order Confirmation for [REMOVED; used my actual name]

Dear [REMOVED, used my actual name] 

Please save this email! This is your one and only receipt for the item(s) listed below. 

Please find attached receipt of payment made to us today. 

Your order shipped on 1/22/2015. 

Your order number is 302658991. 

Ship To:
[REMOVED, used my actual shipping address(same as billing)]

Billing Summary:
Total to be paid by [Removed; used actual name] credit card ending in XXXXXXXXXXXX[REMOVED, used actual last 4-digits of Debit Card]: $070.34 

Billing Address:
[REMOVED, used actual billing address]

Regards
Dawn Lemon | Branch Administrator 
Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited 
2005 Serrano St. | Chicago, IL 60707 
Telephone: 137-601-1502

-----------------------------------------------

^ Now I googled that company and it is a Canadian company with, at least I believe, no presence in Chicago. Also if it was legit it wouldn't have come from a .se e-mail address. Lastly when I try to google map the address it looks residential.

I think you left your actual name in the Billing Summary.

I thought I was alone in this. Thanks to everyone who replied. My attachment was a Word document like GBAstar had. I didn't click it though, so I don't know what it was exactly. Better safe than sorry.

They don't have any other personal info besides my name, address, and phone number. I hope it's nothing to be overly concerned about. I was kind of stressing out when I first read the email. After receiving comments on this, I don't feel as worried. Even then, I still wonder how they got my info. I'll be keeping a careful watch over my personal accounts just in case. Nothing unusual yet, but I'll keep checking.

I thought I was alone in this. Thanks to everyone who replied. My attachment was a Word document like GBAstar had. I didn't click it though, so I don't know what it was exactly. Better safe than sorry.

They don't have any other personal info besides my name, address, and phone number. I hope it's nothing to be overly concerned about. I was kind of stressing out when I first read the email. After receiving comments on this, I don't feel as worried. Even then, I still wonder how they got my info. I'll be keeping a careful watch over my personal accounts just in case. Nothing unusual yet, but I'll keep checking.
Most likely from an online site you've purchased something from that was hacked. Plenty of those in the last few years.

Most likely from an online site you've purchased something from that was hacked. Plenty of those in the last few years.
Yeah, plenty of attacked sites I have shopped at have been in the news. Home Depot, Amazon, Walmart, Sony PSN, and probably a bunch of others.

bread's done
Back