Speakers for my Rig

Full_Throttle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Hey all, I am the infamous Full_Throttle that has made several PC building threads which have led to absolutely nowhere. Now I need your help choosing speakers.

I found some nice 2.1 speakers at Fred Meyer. 26 watts (2 speakers 1 large subwoofer) for $20. I suppose that is a good deal, but there was also a 52 watt speaker set for $40. The brand was CyberAcoustics.

1) Is the 52 watt a better deal than the 26 watt?

2) Are there any 5.1/7.1 speaker systems which are good, yet cheap?

I've heard that the Logitech speakers are quite bad. They stop working or have reduced quality after several months, or just plain old fall apart.

Thanks in advance!

Can't you figure anything out for yourself?:lol: j/k

Watts is basically a form of power, so more power is better. But just like computers, speakers are more complicated than just power.

Do yourself a favor, if they have display models at the stores (or any store), go listen to them. Turn them up, mess with the settings, and see which one you like more. If you think that $20 pair sounds great, go for it. If you think the $40 pair justifyies the extra money, then go for that instead.

And Logitech makes great products, I've never had any trouble with their stuff before.

Logitech has some good 5.1 speakers for computers... I don't remember exactly what the set I'm using is called... the Z-640 or something. Well anyway, it's pretty good... personally, I'm wanting to upgrade to a real sound setup, but for the price, it can't be beat.

my friend had 2 150 watt speakers that where for a CD player/stereo in his room and he just hooked his computer up to those. It sounds pretty good, great for listening to music.

i picked up the Creative Inspire 7.1 set for 100 bucks at microcenter the other day... Im not looking for huge power boost, so this set was fine by me and the price was pretty good compaired to the other sets other there costing 180$+ and only 5.1 :(

Watch buy.com for some really good logitech deals from time to time. Seems like twice a month atleast they run a 5.1 logitech set for cheap.

I've got a cheap logitech 5.1 settup right now, paid like 40 shipped for it 3.5 yrs ago. They still rock, and the base is even better than me "real" surround system. As others have said, they go cheap fairly often, so I'd wait and get a logitech set, cuz it's the best bang for your buck imho

If your interested Ill sell you my dell 5650 5.1 surround system for $50 shipped. I just replaced them w/ the logitech z5500's from my living room which i just replaced w/ an onkyo 7.1 system !!

Right, I'll go to Freddies and give it a shot. Just one question about testing the speakers, though. Do I have to bring my own sound output, or would I hear the in-store radio when I turn them on?

Thanks again.

Well, that depends on the store. Most stores have them hooked up to a local radio channel. But that only works if both of the models you're comparing are in the same store... otherwise, you can't test the speakers out on the same song (unless you wait for the same song to play again at another store).

I'm sure if you ask, they'll let you hook up an iPod or something if you tell them you want to test these speakers out. The play a few of your favorite songs and test it out. You just have to make sure you can hook up your device to it...

Im currently using logitech 5300e and it is ok... its a 5.1 THX 280 watt and picked it up for less than a $100 a year ago. Bass is too loud unless you want alot of bass. I've heard the klipsch makes better stuff but they also cost alot. And I would avoid picking up some no name cheapy speakers on clearance somewhere.

Anyways it big thing is are you actually gonna use the 5.1 function. Many pc games I've encountered dont really support surround sound. For consoles its a problem too because you gotta connect the console to your pc, then pc to speakers. What are you planning to us it for anyways? movies, music, games?

For movies the 5.1 would be great, for music its whatever since you have to go out of you way to find 5.1 music. Back when i was still deciding it was between the cheap 5.1 speakers from creative and logitech ($60 bucks or so). but i waited and found logitech 5300e for $120 at amazon with 50 rebate, so it ended up being $80. If you are in no rush I'd just keep my eyes out for good deals at amazon or buy.com. just wondering what sound card do you have?

There's no such thing as good computer speakers, a sub $100 Onkyo or Yamaha receiver with two full range fronts and a decent 12 inch sub would sound better than anything you could buy in one box, couple it with a soundcard that can out put 96 KHz over optical/coaxial and you'll have a great sound for mp3 and gaming.

Especially all you pawn store/yard sale hunters, on the few times I've been to these, I've seen very decent speakers for good prices, at a pawn store the other day I saw a pair of floor standing Sony's looked brand new for $60 for the pair [same speakers retail about $159] and I've seen subs as low as $20. As long as there's no water damage, the speakers should be good for a few years

[quote name='buurrnn']but i waited and found logitech 5300e for $120 at amazon with 50 rebate, so it ended up being $80. If you are in no rush I'd just keep my eyes out for good deals at amazon or buy.com. just wondering what sound card do you have?[/quote]

120-50=70, not 80...

I am getting a 7.1 Creative Labs sound card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102178

I still haven't gotten the computer yet; I will probably wait until the beginning of September, when the prices for Conroe should go down a slight bit. Then again, I might wait all the way until January to build it. Vista is coming then.

Speakers?!? That's easy...Klipsch! I can't ever turn my 4.1's up any more than 1/4 of the way before the pictures on my walls start to vibrate. And they're THX Certified! I've had them for 6 years now, and I can justify replacing them, even though my X-Fi supports 7.1.

Cost is a factor however, they aren't the cheapest. But you shouldn't be cheap on the sound!

[quote name='Full_Throttle']Huh, how good is the sound quality, though? And what the hell is 4.1? Front/Back/Left/Right/Bass?[/quote]

4.1 is the Front Left and Right and rear Left and Right and Subwoofer. They are seriously the best bang for buck. It's movie theater quality...www.klipsch.com

Liek I said, I wouldn't replace them with a 7.1 even though I could with my X-Fi.

[quote name='Full_Throttle']Yeah, I kinda want something more than 2.1. Kinda off-topic question: do I need a certain format of CD or MP3 to be able to hear surround sound?[/quote]

I think it depends on the sound card, but even most onboard sound cards offer surround sound. I don;t know if it depends on the recording or not.

AS for major retailers, Best Buy offers the 2.1 Klipsch and I know they used to offer the 5.1's. Circuit City does not.

Since you're looking for 5.1's try here. It's now out of stock, but ZipZoomFly is pretty good at getting things back. Or you can try here for Newegg.

Now remember, I said they were pricy...

[quote name='Full_Throttle']Do you know if any major retailers have Klipsch? Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA?[/QUOTE]

Klipsch have good sound, but dont last, Ive had to replace my set of 5.1 2 times already, im thinking about getting z-5500's instead.

[quote name='Beana Blasta']Klipsch have good sound, but dont last, Ive had to replace my set of 5.1 2 times already, im thinking about getting z-5500's instead.[/quote]

Eugh, if it's one thing that I hate more than getting a dead item is having it die within a short time after I get it.

I have a pair of harmon kardon speakers with sub and they sound absolutly amazing for thier semi old age. i absolutley LOVE them.

bread's done
Back