special or LE of games you regret buying?

[quote name='musha666']Im not a collector so they are all junk to me.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I was able to pick up the Alan Wake LE for $40 though a few months back. I totally regret it. Not only have I not had time to play it, I got a DL code for Alan Wake a few weeks ago when I traded in my 360 for the 250GB holiday bundle. My thinking was that I'll be able to eBay it and get my money back but I seriously doubt that now.

Honestly, I regret buying all of the LEs I've bought. This includes:

Marc Eckos Getting Up (top of the wtf list)
DMC4
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 5
Ghostbusters Amazon Edition

I no longer buy any LEs, no matter how good the extra content is since I know I'll probably toss all the extra crap someday down the line anyways.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Honestly, I regret buying all of the LEs I've bought. This includes:

Marc Eckos Getting Up (top of the wtf list)
DMC4
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 5
Ghostbusters Amazon Edition

I no longer buy any LEs, no matter how good the extra content is since I know I'll probably toss all the extra crap someday down the line anyways.[/QUOTE]
I remember those Marc Ecko's Getting Up bundles. Circuit City had them on clearance eventually and they got great credit/cash in trade at FYE. It was one of the first deals I took part in on CAG. I missed out on the Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 clearance by just a few months.:cry::bomb:

That was a hell of a LE for the price though.

No hate for Splinter Cell: CE? Big regret for me. I thought it was neat that they dropped the price $10 because of the broken thumb drives, but then made that content available for anyone. Then the comic book - which they advertised separately from the thumb drive (they advertised it as thumb drive and comic book, not thumb drive containing comic book) - turns out to be digital and not physical. Add to that the fact that the thumb drive is tiny (like 512MB) and a bitch to open... Biggest regret of mine and the reason I stopped buying Ubisoft CE new (that and they always plummet in price).

I'd say that the only LE/CEs I've purchased that I've been okay with have been: Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, Demon's Souls, Fable 3, Dragon Age, and (technically) GoldenEye.

In terms of big regrets, I'd go with God of War 3, BioShock 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, and Modern Warfare 2.

There was a stretch where I was buying nothing but CEs if a game had them, and it was rare that I was actually happy with it. The ones I regret aren't even terrible LEs, they just weren't worth what I paid for them. There is another category, though, and that's ones that I purchased, but don't feel much of anything towards, like Quantum of Solace. It wasn't worth the money, the extras were non-existant, but that steelbook case is the best part of that entire game. I needed to own it because I'm a Bond whore, so it worked out about as well as it could.

Fable 2 is a totally weird one. I wasn't happy when I got it the day it came out, though I did at least get the DLC with mine. After they canceled half of the stuff in it, it became really not worth it, but I managed to pick up the 'canceled' Hobbe figure and Fate cards on Ebay a few months afterwards, spending about what it would've originally cost anyway. After that, I was pretty okay with it.

[quote name='wugenius']I think the better question is, has there been an LE or Collection that has been worth it?

I miss when preorders would mean you get an LE or goodie for free instead of paying premiums for them now. (Even though some preorder bonuses are still good)[/QUOTE] Halo Reach Legardary for $60 was worth it IMO. ES IV Collectors for $80 was also worth it IMO.

I only regret not having the CEs for Tales of Vesperia, Mass Effect, and Mass Effect 2.

And I regret that Final Fantasy XIII didn't have one.

My CE/LE regret:

Starcraft II - game is good but not worth the extra cost
MGS4 - same

Ones that I like:
Lunar, Lunar II, Arc the lad, Alan Wake, Diablo 2, Warcraft III, Perfect Dark Zero( it is only 5 buck)

[quote name='nofanboypower96']Fable 2! Bleh![/QUOTE]

A lot of people seem to regret that. I actually fixed my mistake by buying prototypes of the cancelled content (Qee Hobbe Figure, Box, and Fate Cards) for $25 on eBay. I might be one of the only people out there who has the "true" collector's edition for the game. No idea why the seller I bought the stuff from sold it for so little.

[quote name='wugenius']I think the better question is, has there been an LE or Collection that has been worth it?[/QUOTE]

These four say hello.... well at least their new sealed in the box values say hello....

51ZEFTRRJJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

World-of-Warcraft-The-Crusade-Collector-039-s-Edition-Screenshots-2.jpg

311063.jpg

WoW_Cataclysm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Like a few others, I bit on the Dead Space 2 CE. I saw the complaints and the Amazon drop to $60 and luckily hadn't opened it. I ended up returning it for the $80 + tax.

As for LBP2, I think everything did feel exceptionally cheap. But it looks cute in my gaming pit and makes me smile every time I see it. More than I can say for any other CE.

Also I'm happy with the Assassin's Creed Brotherhood jacks. I have both the doctor and the harlequin. Something to creep out the kids one day, for sure.

But like others, I almost always get the CE....and then end up regretting it or simply being disappointed with it.

[quote name='Doomstink']A lot of people seem to regret that. I actually fixed my mistake by buying prototypes of the cancelled content (Qee Hobbe Figure, Box, and Fate Cards) for $25 on eBay. I might be one of the only people out there who has the "true" collector's edition for the game. No idea why the seller I bought the stuff from sold it for so little.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I assume you got in on the same run of them that I did. There was an EBay seller going back and forth between $20-25 for about a month, probably sold like 30-40 of them total.

I've never been able to figure it out, but I'm not going to question it.

[quote name='Demolition Man']These four say hello.... well at least their new sealed in the box values say hello....

51ZEFTRRJJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

World-of-Warcraft-The-Crusade-Collector-039-s-Edition-Screenshots-2.jpg

311063.jpg

WoW_Cataclysm.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I thought only the original is worth a ton?

Anyways, I try to be really selective when it comes to LE/CE. The last one I bought was ME2, back on release day, so that should put things into perspective. So SFIV comes to mind. I didn't expect the figure to be 1.5 inches, nor did I expect it to be of crappy quality. The anime that came with it wasn't that great either(then again, I'm no anime fan). Overall, it was a waste of $20 it costs over the standard version.

I have to admit though...I was thisclose to buy the Dead Space 2 LE from last week's sale. Thankfully, the customer reviews of it scared me off.

I am generally satisfied with the CEs I have bought- partly because I bought many of them for the content and not the resale/collector's value. That's nearly a guaranteed losing proposition.

The two CEs I am a little unsure about are Mafia II CE and SC:Conviction CE. Mafia II I bought on release, which I did not mind so much- what I found a little disappointing was that about 90% of the content in the artbook are actually art extras you unlock in-game by completing the story. You can view them all in the "extras" gallery there. I guess having the book is nice but it's not like I would not have seen that art had I not bought the CE. In addition, the standard game also comes with a fold-out map. Granted I think the CE version is made on different paper but again, it's content I would have seen even with the regular game.

Splinter cell CE I bought when it was on sale for cheap ($30) but given that I still have yet to open/play through it, I would have been just as satisfied picking up the regular game much later for $20 or less. I am not that invested in the SC content so the extras are only a minor bonus. The real issue here was that I bought a number of games on good sales intending to play them later on- but actually not getting to them until much later than anticipated. However, the flip side is that I have a good stock of games to play through and also I have no real desire to pick up any of the current releases save for 1 or 2 (AC:B) that I will get later on when they are cheap.

I will say the CE I have enjoyed the most (at least of those I have opened) is the Reach Limited edition. I have no desire for the statue so I picked up the limited edition. The journal included in the game had a lot of cool info in it, and IMO was the highlight of the package (better than the statue). It's things like that where I feel I get my money's worth, extra immersion. Probably why I don't feel too bad about paying near MSRP for Alan Wake CE on launch day, even though I have yet to open/play it :).

Ruahrc

[quote name='Denbo32']I regret picking up a Ps3 SFIV TE Stick before I bought a PS3, and then ended up not buying a PS3.[/QUOTE]

Mod it.

I ended up selling it to a friend. I sold it for 125 which was a decent hit since I paid 175 with tax and shipping.

It was when I was I really want a PS3 phase, but didn't have enough games to sway me over and my backlog of 360 games held me over.

I love buying collector's editions. It doesn't bug me when the price goes down,but most of them I paid less than retail Of the ones I own:

Mass effect 2
Dragon age
GTA IV
Splinter Cell Convection
Halo Reach (paid retail)
Alan Wake
Dead Rising 2
Fallout 3
God of War 3
Star Trek Online
DJ hero Renegade
Super Mario Allstars limited edition (paid retail)
Fable 2
Halo Reach Console Bundle (paid retail)
MW2 Console Bundle xbox 360 (paid retail)
LBP2 (paid retail)
FFXIV
Halo Wars (steelbook)

The only one i regret was FFXIV. I bought 2 copies of it. One for me and one for my wife. I returned one of them because the game was that bad. We bought new pc's or this and were going to buy them on the ps3 also. What a bad game. Halo Reach @ $150 was a bummer, but I used gift cards I won at work and paid only $25 out of pocket.

bread's done
Back