Specter Urges Delay in Replacement of O'Connor at Supreme Court

ZarathosNY

CAGiversary!
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=aRLlfRJo_9MA&refer=us

Sept. 21 (Bloomberg) -- The chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee said he urged President George W. Bush today to delay nominating a replacement for retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.

Senator Arlen Specter, Republican of Pennsylvania, said he talked to Justice O'Connor about staying on the high court. ``She's prepared to do that'' through the court's term ending in June, Specter said. The president ``was noncommittal,'' Specter said. ``The body language was not very positive,'' Specter said.

Specter said the delay would give Congress and the rest of America more time to know John Roberts as chief justice. ``When we know a little more about Judge Roberts it's going to be easier with the next'' nomination, Specter said.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist of Tennessee said he urged Bush to submit a name to the Senate promptly. ``I feel we should proceed with the nomination as anticipated,'' Frist said. If so, the confirmation process could be completed ``around Thanksgiving.''

O'Connor, 75, often a key swing vote on the Supreme Court, announced on July 1 that she is retiring and agreed to stay on until her replacement is confirmed. She has said she wants to help care for her husband, John O'Connor, who is suffering from Alzheimer's disease.

Specter and Frist, together with Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada and Patrick Leahy of Vermont, ranking Democrat on the Judiciary Committee, spoke with reporters at the White House after meeting with Bush over breakfast.

It's disgraceful what they're doing to Sandra Day O'Connor. She's 75 has a husband with Alzheimer's and wants to retire to care for him. Now because the Senate, Democrats mostly and a RINO like Specter, think it's more politically expedient that she not put her family first.

Absolutely disgusting IMHO.

[quote name='ZarathosNY']Senator Arlen Specter, Republican of Pennsylvania, said he talked to Justice O'Connor about staying on the high court. ``She's prepared to do that'' through the court's term ending in June, Specter said.[/QUOTE]

Would that our collective nation wasn't so frightened at the prospect of Bush's second nominee that pressure wouldn't have to be applied to keep O'Connor on the bench.

Speak for yourself on that one. I don't fear his second choice.

I'd love to see them tear down a black woman like Janice Rogers Brown. Nothing like being able to label your opponents racist. Notice how we learn from the left!

I suspect Dubya will name someone even further to the right than Roberts. Democrats will argue that they were willing to compromise on one of Dubya's right-wing nominees, and will now only approve a moderate to replace O'Conner. If Dubya doesn't agree, then we'll see a fillibuster.

bread's done
Back