Speed Racer (DS) Review - "My car-fu is better than your car-fu"

option.iv

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
Speed Racer (MSRP $29.99)
a "car-fu" up?

Graphics
It is safe to say this game is fast. Your car can zoom through tracks at speeds upwards to 400 mph. Amazingly there is no slow down at all on the DS considering how fast this 3-D game is. The speed is up there with F-Zero GX if you're looking for a comparison. This game's graphics definitely blow Mario Kart's out of the water. Considering the DS's graphical limitations, this game is a feat to behold.

$9 out of $10

-----

Gameplay
The racing is done arcade style. In the main modes, placing 1st is the main objective surprisingly. You can receive boosts from driving over boost arrows, performing stunts or "car-fu"-ing another car. Stunts are simply executed by holding the d-pad in any direction while your car is airborne, increasing your boost meter with every rotation. Car-fu is another critical element of the game. Basically, when you near another car, you can press B to enter the car-fu sequence. The two drivers engaging in car-fu must time a button press correctly to gain a boost or simply dodge from the assailant. Whoever is closest to the correct timing wins, and the loser is usually FUBAR as they lose much speed and spin uncontrollably. As difficulty increases, the more critical the timing. Drifting yields precious boost meter as well.

$5 out of $10

-----

Depth
To unlock the various drivers, cups, and cars, you just have to gain as many fans as you can. This can be done by winning races and performing stunts.

Besides the main racing mode, there are battles and stunt modes, both of which are poorly designed. Battle mode consists of a line of AI cars which don't fight back, and the objective is simply to Car-fu as many of them as possible within the allotted time. Stunt mode is similar in that you are to perform as many stunts (gain as many fans) as possible within the allotted time. However, the most one can do are rotations and drifts. Expect to be left with a horrible aftertaste trudging through one of these modes.

You have 6 characters to choose from and 10 others to unlock. They all have their respective stat distributions: speed, handling, drifting, acceleration, charisma. On top of that each character has 2 alternative cars to unlock. The sheer amount of fans the unlockables require is staggering and entails to much grinding.

There is multi-cart multiplayer, and to add to your grimace, there is no wi-fi play at all. Being a movie adaptation game, it is very unlikely there would be other people who own a copy of the game.

Overall, there is not much to get hooked on, this game can easily be cleared in one long sitting. And the lack of wi-fi and single cart multiplayer are a disappointment.

$1 out of $10

-----

Other notes: The music consists of generic movie adaptation techno music. Nothing to see (rather, hear) here.

-----

Conclusion: The graphics can be second to none. However, this game could have been something if it weren't for the severe lack of polish. If you want an arcade racer experience on your DS, this will definitely do it.

Graphics - $9 out of $10
Gameplay - $5 out of $10
Depth - $1 out of $10

TOTAL: $15 out of $30

Note of grading scale: This form of review has been suggested before on CAG. And through this method I hope to show my personal opinion on the "worth" of a game in comparison to its MSRP. The TOTAL score reflects what I believe to be a good price to purchase the game. Basically how much one should shell out just to own the piece of software.

Not to be a dick, but weighting graphics, gameplay, and depth equally makes no sense; especially when you're ignoring other things like sound or presentation.

That's ok, personally, I don't find sound when looking at DS games to be a worthwhile mention (considering the sound limitations presented by the system), unless they're rhythm games. As for presentation, that could go only so far when looking at DS games again.

edt: Also, putting those 3 things on even perspective seems fine to me. Sums and averages of equal parts both share that same aspect of assigning each of their respective parts equal weight. But meh, I digress.

bread's done
Back