Spelling/Grammatical Errors That Give You Tears

leveskikesko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Mine is when people say then, when they really mean than. Vice versa...

Now vous.

(BTW I'm not a grammar/spelling nazi. I just thought this thread would be fun. Enjoy.)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rocko']"Spelling/Grammatical Errors That Gives You Tears."

Irony.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what you are talking about, good sir.

[quote name='Rocko']"Spelling/Grammatical Errors That Gives You Tears."

Irony.[/QUOTE]

Oh the irony of the irony.

Mine is "rediculous". Spelling it that way is just ridiculous!

Mine is when people write "vise versa" when it should be "vice versa."

Let he who has not made a grammatical/spelling error, cast the first stone.....

Not grammar, but I hate when people say "I could care less" instead of I could not care less. I always want to say to them... so you care a little bit. I have even heard professional newscasters say it wrong.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I try not to get too worked up over grammar.[/quote]
I agree with this, and I have an English degree. Most of the time I just shake my head and realize we are all circling the drain, but I don't get worked up over it.

Irregardless is not a word.

Also, gratuitous, use, of, commas. and not starting, sentences, with a capital.

Finally (and I'm not going to simulate this one) the walls of text because folks don't know how to properly construct a paragraph.

EDIT: Yeah, forego the finally from the previous statement.

your =/= you're

Unnecessary "quote marks." http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
The word is spelled "definitely."

I think I've seen three people on the internet spell it properly. Not counting those knuckleheads who think the word is "defiantly."

I am sol, I just realized I turned in a draft for a term paper. Grammatical errors to the max + crappy content = me sol(sh!t out of luck)

How dose it work?
ur, 2, b, ppl, or anything like that. C'mon people, it's not fuckin' rocket surgery to spell two, too, to, be, people, or you're.
I think people just use ur because they don't know the difference between your and you're.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Why it's "Jesus'" when it should be "Jesus's."[/QUOTE]
Aren't those interchangeable? I thought something like "Mr. Jones' dog" or "Mr. Jones's dog" were both considered correct.

[quote name='Rocko']Aren't those interchangeable? I thought something like "Mr. Jones' dog" or "Mr. Jones's dog" were both considered correct.[/quote]

Both are correct.

[quote name='thelonepig']Both are correct.[/QUOTE]

Wrong.

Jesus' is correct because generally well-known names are "allowed" (this is the best way I know how to describe it) to have only the apostrophe. There are other examples, but I don't know any off the top of my head.

In most cases, however, names ending with an s MUST use both the apostrophe and the s. So it's Mr. Jones's dog, or Tess's lemonade, etc. And yes, you are supposed to pronounce (written here somewhat phonetically) it as, "Mr. Jones-ez dog."

An apostrophe only is used when it's plural. The ducks' pond.

Generally no one is going to notice no matter what, since grammatical rules tend to be forgotten or warped as people get older. A better thing to do is just eliminate the need for it completely by changing the wording of the sentence. "The hat Mr. Jones has."

Mr. Jones' dog, if you look at it purely grammatically, implies something....really strange, actually. It's almost as if it is saying there are many people named Mr. Jone, and that you are talking about them collectively as either all owning a dog or all having dogs individually. There might even be some obscure rule that said you could get around this with "Misters Jone," implying several people, but even that is sort of in a gray area.

Point being it all gets muddy.

- your/you're

- there/they're/their

Also, the ones where people use words they've only heard, and thus, butcher them:

- "walla" instead of voila
- "fassad" instead of facade
- "rondevu" instead of rendezvous

etc. etc. etc.

It doesn't get me worked up so much as I snicker a little. Worrying about grammar/spelling on the internet is a pointless exercise.

[quote name='Strell']Wrong.

Jesus' is correct because generally well-known names are "allowed" (this is the best way I know how to describe it) to have only the apostrophe. There are other examples, but I don't know any off the top of my head.

In most cases, however, names ending with an s MUST use both the apostrophe and the s. So it's Mr. Jones's dog, or Tess's lemonade, etc. And yes, you are supposed to pronounce (written here somewhat phonetically) it as, "Mr. Jones-ez dog."

An apostrophe only is used when it's plural. The ducks' pond.

Generally no one is going to notice no matter what, since grammatical rules tend to be forgotten or warped as people get older. A better thing to do is just eliminate the need for it completely by changing the wording of the sentence. "The hat Mr. Jones has."

Mr. Jones' dog, if you look at it purely grammatically, implies something....really strange, actually. It's almost as if it is saying there are many people named Mr. Jone, and that you are talking about them collectively as either all owning a dog or all having dogs individually. There might even be some obscure rule that said you could get around this with "Misters Jone," implying several people, but even that is sort of in a gray area.

Point being it all gets muddy.[/quote]

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp

Use the apostrophe to show possession. Place the apostrophe before the s to show singular possession. NOTE: Although names ending in s or an s sound are not required to have the second s added in possessive form, it is preferred.

I certainly agree with things getting muddy. The problem I find is that people start using made-up words and made-up grammar rules and they eventually find themselves into grammar books and dictionaries. This may be one of those cases, but I know I learned this rule back in grade school (so more than 20 years ago).

I was taught back in grade school that you just use an apostrophe when a name ends in an S sound. However, i recently read in my business communication book that " s' '" and " 's " are both acceptable. So Jones' or Jones's. I still prefer just to use an apostrophe since i always have.

i know for a fact "gauss' law" and "gauss's law" are interchangeable, and gauss definitely isn't as famous as jesus..

one time on a physics exam my prof had "gauss' law" in the problem, i added an s after the apostrophe in pencil, no comment or anything, just an s, and solved the problem.. when i got the exam back there was like a two-paragraph explanation in favor of "gauss' law" and several cited sources

They aren't interchangeable. Both acceptable, perhaps, but not interchangeable. At least not 100%, since most people won't know and won't care. Even with proper nouns like Jesus, there are specific rules. But since language is alive, I guess the rules can change over time.

It's like saying "my old teacher" instead of "my former teacher." Sure, someone might get what you are saying in each instance, but the connotation implied by each is different. Both are implying some teacher you had in the past, but reading further into it might cause inconsistent comprehension from different parties. So not completely interchangeable, but both acceptable.

"Sneak peak".
People liking the 'rouge' character in RPGs.

Though I try not to be a spelling/grammar fascist, and everyone makes the occasional mistake especially online, those two really bug me. I've seen "sneak peak!" on professional DVD cases before.

I don't mind a little netspeak, I'll definitely use an IMHO or BRB or what-have-you, but when those shorties are 50% of the message, that's truly annoying.

Rogue != rouge. The weird part is that I've only ever seen people use rouge accidentally, never rogue.[quote name='mykevermin']The word is spelled "definitely."

I think I've seen three people on the internet spell it properly. Not counting those knuckleheads who think the word is "defiantly."[/quote]Good fuckin' God, yes. This one. How the fuck is "defiantly" so God damned common?

Also, expanding on what Strell and company said, there are all sorts of crazy motherfucking rules on possessives that I read and no longer remember. A lot of it had to do with the origin of the word/name.

To what degree what I read was bullshit, I can not say.

Even worse, I once saw someone use "defiently" when they meant "definitely".

This is more IRL, but I hate it when people say "and" in the middle of numbers where they shouldn't be. For instance, "One hundred and thirty three" versus "one hundred thirty three". It was never a huge deal, it just kinda bugged me.

[quote name='Filler2001']Even worse, I once saw someone use "defiently" when they meant "definitely".

This is more IRL, but I hate it when people say "and" in the middle of numbers where they shouldn't be. For instance, "One hundred and thirty three" versus "one hundred thirty three". It was never a huge deal, it just kinda bugged me.[/QUOTE]

About the only thing I remember from fourth grade was my math teacher's favorite catchphrase..."Hundreden is not a word". That was obviously her pet peeve as well.

One of the peeves of my high school English teacher was anthimeria....using a word as another part of speech. "He was helicoptered from the accident scene". Helicopter isn't traditionally a verb.
Technically anthimeria isn't truly an error, it's a literary device, but many people use it not in a literary sense but in a lazy sense.

Oh, I thought of another one. "The car needs washed". Bugs the crap out of me. The car needs TO BE washed, or the car needs a washING or a wash.

[quote name='dastly75']Ur you're your

prolly probably[/QUOTE]

those are all have very different causes (and thus different levels of tolerability)

ur vs you're -- half-assed laziness
your vs you're -- ignorance
prolly vs probably -- conscious decision made because "probably" is a shit word

You probably have, at least, in the way he means. Strictly speaking, and connotates the presences of a decimal point. You should only say "and" if you're saying something like I have one hundred, eleven dollars and 10 cents. Some people say I have one hundred and eleven dollars.

He's just jamming hundred and and together to get hundreden; en sounding like an'.

[quote name='pacifickarma']I've never heard anyone say "hundreden" or "the car needs washed" in my life.[/quote]

bread's done
Back